Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orion Reed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
This seems like it can't possibly be right, concerned my Mac Pro may be underperforming for some reason, its performing the same as i can remember. If it is the case that my laptop legitimately more powerful than my Mac Pro, my follow up question would be: What can I do to get my Mac Pro past the speed of my MacBook...

I haven't done any proper technical tests, but take Dirt 3 for example, it runs at 50+ FPS on my MacBook Pro, and 30- on my Mac Pro

I have a new 13" MacBook pro with:
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
and a TB of flash storage.

And my Mac Pro:
3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache
12GB (3 x 4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
Thunderbolt 2 LaCie 5Big 10tb RAID Drive with my home folder on it.

^ The read speed has been screwing around latel, but i don't imagine that can change the performance all that much

Thank for reading, Orion.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
You are referring to game benchmarks? If so then a workstation may well be outperformed by a laptop. Depends on a LOT of variables. Screen resolution, graphics levels (max FSAA, etc), what else you have running in the background.

Workstations rely on heavily threaded workloads (video editors for example) for their grunt. Consider your MacPro like a tractor and your laptop like a Mazda Miata; the Miata will be faster on roads, but I know which I'd use to plow the fields...

Reactions: laurihoefs and adib
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.