Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevmodrome

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
The problem is, that it always works with fresh boot. Gets choppy after a few days of uptime.

No, I booted 15 minutes before recording. Doesn't matter if I've used it for 15 minutes or 15 hours. Always the same amount of lag.

Is it better than before the update ? Also what monitor is that, Dell ?

Yes, a bit. Not much though. Might be placebo though. It sure is, a Dell 2415Q.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Still choppy when scrolling in webpages for me. If Finder locks the machine up again then the thing goes back. I bought it 3/31 so I have a few days.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
Just did a clean install of Yosemite 10.10.3 on my new 13' 2015.
Animations and scrolling is a ****** mess. Using the device with 1440x900 scaling enabled and without an external display for testing purposes. Reducing transparency helps a lot, but this should not be necessary.

datafirm

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
is it completely smooth ? Or just better ?

it's barely better. the whole experience is so bad for me, it makes it tough to feel productive when I cringe to ever switch desktops! :( my 2013 i7 Air feels much faster than this new Pro

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
What boggles the mind is that the retina iMac seems to be manifesting the issue, as well, despite its dedicated GPU. Is Apple's code so suboptimal? Is the task so computationally intensive?

I hope the 15" models will be updated soon. I buy a new machine only every 5-6 years, and it looks very unlikely that a rMBP that is already as challenged as the 13 incher will be able to cope with the demands of 2020.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
it's barely better. the whole experience is so bad for me, it makes it tough to feel productive when I cringe to ever switch desktops! :( my 2013 i7 Air feels much faster than this new Pro

Even my 13' 2013 Baseline Air feels way smoother than this.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Even my 13' 2013 Baseline Air feels way smoother than this.

Two more interesting facts:

1. When you enter Mission Control while pressing shift, the slow animation is also choppy. The main problem seems not the dropped, but the wrongly timed frames. Like 50 fps video on a 60 fps screen. (Tried to record it with my iPhone, but it is not as intense on the recording as in person.)

2. It is just as bad in non-retina resolutions as in retina. You can try it using several utilities, my choice was this one: https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor

bcam117

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
I really don't get how Apple thought it was a good idea to introduce transparency on machines which were already not running perfectly smooth, including mine (late 2013 rMBP with dGPU).

Mavericks was pretty good, nothing amazing, resizing windows was pretty laggy and stuff, but Yosemite just pushed back performance. Yeah, disabling transparency makes things better, but I don't see why we should have to do that on a over €2,500 machine.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I really don't get how Apple thought it was a good idea to introduce transparency on machines which were already not running perfectly smooth, including mine (late 2013 rMBP with dGPU).

Mavericks was pretty good, nothing amazing, resizing windows was pretty laggy and stuff, but Yosemite just pushed back performance. Yeah, disabling transparency makes things better, but I don't see why we should have to do that on a over €2,500 machine.

Transparency on here on my work machine...a 2008 iMac. Runs great. Don't think for a second the issue is too weak of a GPU.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place

Seriously, even a 15-incher with a dGPU stutters?! How many windows does it take for this to happen? This is simply outrageous.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Transparency on here on my work machine...a 2008 iMac. Runs great. Don't think for a second the issue is too weak of a GPU.

I agree. We aren't even talking about 3D graphics, just 2D rendering for desktop compositing. All GPUs, including the HD 4000 is fully capable of running retina resolutions smoothly spec-wise. It's the poor graphic drivers and lack of code optimisation that's making things stutter.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I agree. We aren't even talking about 3D graphics, just 2D rendering for desktop compositing. All GPUs, including the HD 4000 is fully capable of running retina resolutions smoothly spec-wise. It's the poor graphic drivers and lack of code optimisation that's making things stutter.

I think we should gather results into some organized form. For this I have created a Google Docs table:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V8gAIwP84vnheckK-3KWYnp4uVhTEiDigWfgWCcawq8/edit?usp=sharing

Please fill this with your results. I am also interested in you, who do not experience the issue. Let's isolate it!

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
Excellent contribution, thank you. May I recommend three additional columns: transparency on/off, number of windows, and number of spaces. These could be standardized for more meaningful comparison.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
The fact that this is happening on so many machines with decent graphics performance makes me wonder if this is just a bug in the animations themselves (maybe a mismatch in frame rates or something).

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
2015 Macbook Pro's Intel Iris 6100 is so choppy in Yosemite

The fact that this is happening on so many machines with decent graphics performance makes me wonder if this is just a bug in the animations themselves (maybe a mismatch in frame rates or something).

I hope so…
Remember that up until OS X 10.10.2 (?), I guess, the "About this Mac" Window was soooo laggy when you switched between the tabs. It was like running at 3-4 fps with frame stutters during the "tab-switch" animation.
Then after 10.10.2 was released it was gone and now it's super smooth.
I do hope Apple is fixing this issue systemwide , because the hardware is definitely capable of running those resolutions.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
So today I bought a new 2015 13" Macbook Pro after finally giving up on waiting out Apple for a retina display on my aging Macbook Air. I am experiencing extremely poor GUI performance.

I know that retina displays are taxing on GPUs, but the Intel 6000 series seems incapable of driving this display without extreme choppiness in Yosemite for a number of actions— mission control, switching between windows, opening new windows, etc. This is the most significant lag I've experienced on any laptop on Yosemite. My old 2010 Macbook Pro 13" doesn't lag this bad on Yosemite.

Is this the experience of others here? The performance is so bad that I'm going to return the laptop if it doesn't improve because it severely impedes on the usability of the system. Also it is BRAND NEW!

UPDATE: Resetting the PRAM may fix this issue for you— it fixed it for me.

Double update: So yeah, apparently this is a widespread problem. I figured I'd provide a final update: The PRAM reset fixed the problem for a few hours and then it promptly returned, even on a fresh install of both the 10.3 beta and the 10.2 stock with no 3rd party programs running well after the housekeeping processes completed. When using an external 1080p monitor, I experienced display lag so bad on mission control and spaces that it prevented me from using the laptop efficiently, which is unacceptable IMO for a brand new laptop. I eventually returned the Macbook Pro to Apple, and I'm going to wait until the next revision of the laptop to upgrade. My Macbook Air from 2013 continues to have fantastic performance— silky smooth with tons of 3rd party programs installed :(

I have been astounded at the performance of my 2015 rMBP over my 2013 rMBP which could barely play a 4K video. External use on both a cheap and expensive monitor also fine. Here is a screen shot from a video called Costa Rica that plays perfectly:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 11.22.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 11.22.18 AM.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

dtrace

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
The odd thing is that when I connect my rMBP (late 2013, 750M) to my TB display, animations are *butter* smooth...

jonahhh

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
I don't get why you would want to make your OS X look and feel like Windoze. Your Mac (hardware issue based on your description) is clearly having huge problems if you need to disable animations just to get a decent performance.

lol animations are off or sped up so i can do work faster.

it seems unlikely to me it's hardware becaues i can reboot into snow leopard and it's fine. (and yes i started yosemite with a clean install, but the issues made me revert)

anyway, i don't want to derail, but i suspect the issues are related if other people's WindowServer and kernal_task processes are spiking in cpu use like mine are?

sad to hear this, i was planning on upgrading, not sure now.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Simply put, lag is related to Retina and scaling algorithms. Connect any Retina Mac to a non-HiDPI monitor, turn off the internal display, and watch how silky smooth all animations are.

aodesigns

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
Simply put, lag is related to Retina and scaling algorithms. Connect any Retina Mac to a non-HiDPI monitor, turn off the internal display, and watch how silky smooth all animations are.

What are the chances of Apple actually fixing this issue ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.