Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangebanjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
How would you connect a 4K monitor and a 1080 HDMI output only monitor to the current 13 inch no touch bar MBP? The 4K monitor is a DELL P2715Q. Could you connect the 1080 display to the hdmi port of a hub, say the CharJen and then the 4K display directly to the 2nd USB-C port? I've heard these hubs are dodgy and the connection to the monitor will drop.

You could also use Apple's multiport adapter in lieu of a 3rd party hub, but its reviews aren't that great - which do you prefer Apple or 3rd party?

Could one daisy chain two 4K DisplayPort monitors, say two of the above Dells and one of the monitors connects directly to the USB-C port? Will this minimize lost connections compared to using a hub/adapter?

These monitors will be used mostly for work, basically a lot of reading, some videos and images, no gaming.

Last edited:

orangebanjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
To answer my own question, apparently daisy chaining doesn't work for all DisplayPort monitors, from what I read, it doesn't work for the Dell. The CharJen hub works for now, connected 4K monitor directly to MBP via DisplayPort, the 1080 to the hub. Apparently the hub's HDMI handles 4K, so will try connecting the 4K monitor to it.

Haven't had any major problems yet, cross fingers although waking up from sleep, the screens get switched, haven't figured out how to fix that yet. For all the talk about dongles, I haven't had any issues, as the hub has solved my problems, but haven't used it long enough to make a good reliability assessment.

orangebanjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
So 4K works through the hub's HDMI port too, so 2 4K monitors using the no touchbar 2 port MBP should work, will test that when I get a chance. I was pretty sure it would work, but there are not many posts saying so, didn't see any YouTube videos of someone hooking two up, so here is mine. Now 3 or 4 monitors, I'm not so sure, guessing the hub is designed to be used 1 per MBP, not 2 attached to one MBP. And dunno if the hub will stop working in a month, a year, so hoping for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.