Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
I have a 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro 2016 and recently it recently started making a popping sound at random times. I remember several users posting about this when it first came out, but I have not seen anything recently about it. It sounds like the one in this video: http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...nch-macbook-pro-popping-clicking-noise-2017-4 . It randomly happens but it is usually within 5-20 minutes of waking or turning on. It happens only a few times a day making it really hard to diagnose. Did anyone experience this issue? If so, what did Apple say? The computer is in pristine condition.

I did speak with Apple today and they want an engineer to give me a call on Monday. That is the first time that has ever happened to me.

--ld--

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2016
I have a 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro 2016 and recently it recently started making a popping sound at random times. I remember several users posting about this when it first came out, but I have not seen anything recently about it. It sounds like the one in this video: http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...nch-macbook-pro-popping-clicking-noise-2017-4 . It randomly happens but it is usually within 5-20 minutes of waking or turning on. It happens only a few times a day making it really hard to diagnose. Did anyone experience this issue? If so, what did Apple say? The computer is in pristine condition.

I did speak with Apple today and they want an engineer to give me a call on Monday. That is the first time that has ever happened to me.

Have a look at this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/clicking-creaking-noise-on-late-2016-mbp.2016030/

Apple knows about the problem and has a solution: replace the display and top-case. It is not quite sure if this really is a long-term solution, but some users report that the popping has gone since the replacement.

My Macbook also had this problem and I got a top-case and display replacement. The popping noise did not come back after a month of use...

Last edited:

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Have a look at this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/clicking-creaking-noise-on-late-2016-mbp.2016030/

Apple knows about the problem and has a solution: replace the display and top-case. It is not quite sure if this really is a long-term solution, but some users report that the popping has gone since the replacement.

My Macbook also had this problem and I got a top-case and display replacement. The popping noise did not come back after a month of use...

Yeah I was reading that, but it does not sound like it is coming from the display at all. They actually setup a call from an Apple hardware engineer to talk on Monday, rather than bring it to an Apple store. This is already my second computer as the first one had issues. Has anyone seen this issue in the 2017 models?

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I just had mine replaced. it had this exact sound. it was the display. Apple knew right away what the cause was and replaced the display assembly. the sound is gone now

--ld--

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2016
Yeah I was reading that, but it does not sound like it is coming from the display at all. They actually setup a call from an Apple hardware engineer to talk on Monday, rather than bring it to an Apple store. This is already my second computer as the first one had issues. Has anyone seen this issue in the 2017 models?

I also thought that the sound was coming from somewhere above the touchbar or the hinge... But the hardware engineer who repaired my machine told me that they located the faulty component and it is inside the display assembly. Unfortunately they did not give me any more details on it, even after asking them to...

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
I just had mine replaced. it had this exact sound. it was the display. Apple knew right away what the cause was and replaced the display assembly. the sound is gone now

I also thought that the sound was coming from somewhere above the touchbar or the hinge... But the hardware engineer who repaired my machine told me that they located the faulty component and it is inside the display assembly. Unfortunately they did not give me any more details on it, even after asking them to...

How long did it take yours to be replaced? I am in a time period where I cannot afford to have the computer gone for awhile.

Penlocky

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
I got mine replaced in 1 day =). You can ask them to order the parts first and then call you once they arrive so you can drop the computer, and if you are early on the day enough, you'll get the computer by afternoon! I was trying to get them to replace me with a 2017 model though but wasn't successful. Although I do not know if the 2017 models solved the design problem or not.

Reactions: JustinRP37

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
I got mine replaced in 1 day =). You can ask them to order the parts first and then call you once they arrive so you can drop the computer, and if you are early on the day enough, you'll get the computer by afternoon! I was trying to get them to replace me with a 2017 model though but wasn't successful. Although I do not know if the 2017 models solved the design problem or not.

I should add that they sent it in for the comprehensive repair service.

Thanks for the information. It doesn’t sounds like too long of a process. I just hope it is a smooth process.

--ld--

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2016
@JustinRP37: I had to send mine in 3 times through an Apple Premium Reseller because there is no Apple Store in the country I live in. The first repair took one week, the second two weeks and the third one month. However, this was due to Apple not knowing how to fix the problem at that time. During my third repair they kept my machine for a longer period to figure out the problem and then replaced the top-case and display assembly. After that it did not make the sound once after a month of use.

I would suggest to send it in and the repair should be fairly quick now that they know what to do.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Well I sent it in to them on Monday. They said I would have it back by Friday, but now that timeline has shifted to TBD. They were quite sure it was the display, but I'll see what they say!

Penlocky

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Well I sent it in to them on Monday. They said I would have it back by Friday, but now that timeline has shifted to TBD. They were quite sure it was the display, but I'll see what they say!
Bro that is unacceptable! Took me only a few hours to repair that once the part is in!

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Bro that is unacceptable! Took me only a few hours to repair that once the part is in!
Shockingly they completed the repair late last night and overnighted it. Got it back this morning! Remind me to ship myself next time I need to fly. I don’t hink I literally could get from Memphis to NYC quicker than this computer did.

Penlocky

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Shockingly they completed the repair late last night and overnighted it. Got it back this morning! Remind me to ship myself next time I need to fly. I don’t hink I literally could get from Memphis to NYC quicker than this computer did.
Congratulations! =D Got it back quick.

Reactions: JustinRP37

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Mines have been making a popping noise as well. Should I record it when it happens to explain to the Genius Bar workers what's going on or are they able to diagnose the issue?

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
I took mine in about 2 weeks back. They were aware of the issue. I also had backlight bleeding issues. They replaced the display assembly within a day.

I was initially hoping they’d replace mine with the 2017 model. :p No such luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.