Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Hi, guys. I came across this video and want to buy a akitio pcie box with gtx 1050ti for powering my macbook pro.

However, i have few confusions.

1. Based on the official website, https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box, The PCIe (x16) slot accepts half-length, full-height, double-width cards and provides a maximum of 25W. But the gtx 1050ti have a 75w output, the built in power adapter cord is 25w. If i purchase a another 75w power adapter cord just like the video did, will it blow up the akitio pcie circuits?

2. Will it blow up the macbook pro? (I assume not, I think thunderbolt 3 in macbook pro can handle maximum 100 w? so it will not blow up the macbook pro?)

3. If i use the built in power adapter cord, which is 25w, it is enough to power and drive the gtx 1050ti?

In this video, the 25w akitio pcie box has no issues for the 75w power adapter cord but i wonder will it last in the long run (like couple years)?

Last edited:

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
The Thunder3 PCIe box is the wrong tool for the job, if you're looking for an eGPU. You want the Akitio Node:

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node

Which supplies both 75W of power over PCIe to the card as well as including a 400W PSU for hooking up to any power supply connectors on the card for extra power.

Reactions: !!!

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
The Thunder3 PCIe box is the wrong tool for the job, if you're looking for an eGPU. You want the Akitio Node:

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node

Which supplies both 75W of power over PCIe to the card as well as including a 400W PSU for hooking up to any power supply connectors on the card for extra power.

The akitio node is good but it is too large and I do not need extra power. I only play light games and the non node seems small and elegant but the only issue is whether it can handle 75w?

DanDilla

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Lüneburg, Germany
The akitio node is good but it is too large and I do not need extra power. I only play light games and the non node seems small and elegant but the only issue is whether it can handle 75w?

It can not.

You can get it working with an external psu for the extra graphics power.
And I don't think you can get your card working with only the 25w pcie power.

I highly doubt your graphics card having and 75w OUTput, too...

On the other hand there are no drivers for the NVIDIA 10xx series under macOS now and no way to get the cards working.

What about using the igpu of your macbook if only doing light work?!

With that answers given and the questions you needed to ask here, I would not recommend you to buy an eGPU before they become officially supported.
There's no plug and play at the moment...

There are several threads around which discuss this in detail.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
It can not.

You can get it working with an external psu for the extra graphics power.
And I don't think you can get your card working with only the 25w pcie power.

I highly doubt your graphics card having and 75w OUTput, too...

On the other hand there are no drivers for the NVIDIA 10xx series under macOS now and no way to get the cards working.

What about using the igpu of your macbook if only doing light work?!

With that answers given and the questions you needed to ask here, I would not recommend you to buy an eGPU before they become officially supported.
There's no plug and play at the moment...

There are several threads around which discuss this in detail.

I mean If i use 75 w power adapter cord (or external PSU) to drive this stuff in windows(bootcamp), will it damage the pcie box circuits since it can only handle 25w?

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
I mean If i use 75 w power adapter cord (or external PSU) to drive this stuff in windows(bootcamp), will it damage the pcie box circuits since it can only handle 25w?

No damage*, the Thunders were over engineered to meet the full PCIe power specs. However you will need at least a 90w adapter to both power the box circuits and still deliver 75w to the pci card. I'm running an RX 460 in a Thunder-2 with a 120w adapter.

*assuming the card doesn't overdraw. Some over clocked 750ti variants could reportedly fry a Thunder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.