Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
SSDs shouldn't make a sound unless there is a fan or something but there are mo moving parts. Hate to say it but i would think about swapping it out. Too much money for something that's not perfect. Plus it could lead to issues down the line.

It appears that this might be normal for the retina macbook pros?
http://www.mackungfu.org/apple-s-non-silent-solid-state-disks-ssds

Could someone else who has received theirs (15" in particular, 1TB SSD preferred) confirm if they can hear electrical noise when running the Blackmagic Disk speed test? Would really put my mind at ease if this is indeed normal. :cool:

trickster is meaningless

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2016
Basingstoke, UK
It appears that this might be normal for the retina macbook pros?
http://www.mackungfu.org/apple-s-non-silent-solid-state-disks-ssds

Could someone else who has received theirs (15" in particular, 1TB SSD preferred) confirm if they can hear electrical noise when running the Blackmagic Disk speed test? Would really put my mind at ease if this is indeed normal. :cool:

I can't comment on the new MBPs as I don't have it yet, but this kind of thing is quite common in very dense electronics. It's to do with high currents running close to other wires. The current produces a magnetic field that in turn induces a current in the nearby wire. If this is a speaker wire, whose signal is then amplified, you'll hear activity on the SSD through the speakers. This has happened on the iPhone7 and a couple of other phones as well if I recall correctly.

It's unlikely to be an actual fault, just a consequence of physics.

Machip

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Canada
I just woke up from the worst nightmare:
  1. Processing
  2. Preparing for Shipment
  3. Shipped
  4. Unshipped
  5. Preparing for Reprocessing
  6. Processing
But the last three were just a dream. In reality:
  • Oct 28: ordered 15/2.9/1TB/460
  • Oct 29: Processing
  • Nov 19: Processing...
  • Nov 30: Processing......???!!!
  • Dec 5: C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dec 7: Preparing for Shipment
  • Dec 8: Shipped

Machip

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Canada
I wonder if they're struggling to get enough of the high capacity drives for the SSDs, the larger options seem to be a bit slower in being dispatched.

I think the delay in my case was due to an issue that was supposed to be resolved and apparently wasn't. But I won't complain too much about it now (or else it might disappear somewhere over the Pacific).

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Did anyone that got billed yesterday (12/8) have a change in status over night? My page still shows processing. I'm so sick of seeing processing. I want to see PFS or Shipped.

iga

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Did anyone that got billed yesterday (12/8) have a change in status over night? My page still shows processing. I'm so sick of seeing processing. I want to see PFS or Shipped.

I got billed yesterday morning (Dec 8th).
Status is the same as yours...
Estimates: dec 9th- dec 15th.
A Dude from Apple told me yesterday evening that there will be no delay.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Ok my MacBook 13" BTO (16GB, 512GB SSD) arrived!
I like touchbar - see attachment -

How cool is that!

Wet dream of notorious battery watcher :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_8267.JPG
    IMG_8267.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,179

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Finally saw the charge on my credit card yesterday. But no updates to my Apple account. Hoping for PFS soon!! Ordered 2.7/460/512GB on November 6th.

sebastiandre

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
London, UK
Just curious: if my order still isn't preparing for shipment, would amending the order (and changing one spec of my 15" MBP) throw me back in the queue?
Have a 2-3 weeks window after my order on the 27th of November.

charchar25

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Just curious: if my order still isn't preparing for shipment, would amending the order (and changing one spec of my 15" MBP) throw me back in the queue?
Have a 2-3 weeks window after my order on the 27th of November.

I changed the color of my Pro 15 order online and lost my first delivery date. I suggest calling them at the apple number on your confirmation and doing your change with a live person. Confirm with them that you won't lose your spot in the line.
[doublepost=1481299464][/doublepost]FWIW, my MBP 15 TB, 2.7 460 2TB drive, ordered Nov 4, due Dec 12-16 still Processing. No charge on card yet. I'm hoping the delays lately are happening because they are dealing with the battery life problem. If so, after delivery, maybe I'll avoid needing to "graduate" from this thread to the 58 page long battery life thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life-for-13-and-15-macbook-pro.2015074/page-57

Last edited:

Vanessa1214

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
I called apple but, and they expitied my shipping!! I should get it by the 15th! bumped up! hellzz yeah, thank you!

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Been lurking on here and benefiting from all the info, so I thought I'd share my data point:
11/11: Ordered base 15" w/512Gb ssd upgrade, given 12/20-26 delivery window.
12/9: Preparing for shipment+card charged!

Seems like it ships the next day for most people, but will update when that happens.

Last edited:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
apple attempted to charge my account for one of the computers but not the other. The bank declined it i guess because it was a large amount but then again i have sufficient funds so who knows. I called up the bank to verify. I then went online to click to verify again on the same card, but it said it failed. I called up apple and to my surprise the answered quickly. She said there was no errors. I refreshed the page and now it says processing ordered. The lady said they will try again tomorrow. If it fails I should get another email. but just keep checking the site.
Fingers crossed.
Ordered nov. 18 - ship by dec. 21-28

TimeIsHard

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Been lurking on here and benefiting from all the info, so I thought I'd share my data point:
11/11: Ordered base 15" w/512Gb ssd upgrade, given 12/20-26 delivery window.
12/9: Preparing for shipment+card charged!

Seems like it ships the next day for most people, but will update when that happens.

WTF? There goes my theory that my 512 GB SSD was keeping my 11/5 order of a 15"/2.9/512/460 space gray from shipping.

Edit: I'm eating my words because at some point inbetween checking my credit card statement, angrily posting about how Apple is personally spiting me, and checking my credit card again, I was charged a butt load of money for my computer and Apple care!

Last edited:
Reactions: HeatherA

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
I just woke up from the worst nightmare:
  1. Processing
  2. Preparing for Shipment
  3. Shipped
  4. Unshipped
  5. Preparing for Reprocessing
  6. Processing
But the last three were just a dream. In reality:
  • Oct 28: ordered 15/2.9/1TB/460
  • Oct 29: Processing
  • Nov 19: Processing...
  • Nov 30: Processing......???!!!
  • Dec 5: C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dec 7: Preparing for Shipment
  • Dec 8: Shipped
Is your Space Grey? Mine is the same specs as yours and the same ship date!

Boy it seems like they have a long lead time this time around!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.