Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StratoMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR, USA
Capture.PNG

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Installed the latest update, so far so good but I need most of the day.

I'll report back if I see it again. Also possible the fix isn't actually in the latest seed yet, despite what he said.

Reactions: Brookzy

scoopz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Ouch. Maybe a hardware issue then? Have you had a replacement unit yet?
Could be hardware but it did run perfectly for 3 days with reinstall of sierra and without 3rd party (Adobe) software installled and graphics went wonky the second I installed Adobe CC so I'm hopeful it's software and easily fixable.

Apple have called me several times and full system logs captured and sent to them. I could get a replacement but if it's software then that'll be exactly the same and it will be early 2017 before my BTO replacement would be ready.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Could be hardware but it did run perfectly for 3 days with reinstall of sierra and without 3rd party (Adobe) software installled and graphics went wonky the second I installed Adobe CC so I'm hopeful it's software and easily fixable.

Apple have called me several times and full system logs captured and sent to them. I could get a replacement but if it's software then that'll be exactly the same and it will be early 2017 before my BTO replacement would be ready.
15/2.9/1/460? You could walk in to most big Apple Stores and swap it out tomorrow. (Not saying you should, just letting you know a huge delivery of 15s came in today).

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
15/2.9/1/460? You could walk in to most big Apple Stores and swap it out tomorrow. (Not saying you should, just letting you know a huge delivery of 15s came in today).

Just wanna double this sentiment - I was able to swap out my 2.9/1TB/Pro 460 model in-store the other day for the speaker issue in Boot Camp. They had both silver and space gray. They did require me to do a return/repurchase, but they're extremely flexible with the method that they go about that.

Last edited:

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
FYI, don't expect anything to change if it is a hardware failure. Plenty of proof out there that the parts they swap in are used and are ticking time bombs.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Nothing is used right now. They don't even have replacement parts or units ready for use yet. They are swapping full retail box units.

Source: just swapped mine.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I'm not sure why so many people are swapping machines out. There are too many reports across different hardware configs to indicate its a hardware issue. It could be, but more likely its software and swapping your machine is a waste of time.

Has anyone reported the graphics problems gone after a swap?

Reactions: itsamacthing

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Post the header information from the email to validate the email. I'm sure it will. posted on the front page if you do.
Thanks!

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'm not sure why so many people are swapping machines out. There are too many reports across different hardware configs to indicate its a hardware issue. It could be, but more likely its software and swapping your machine is a waste of time.

Has anyone reported the graphics problems gone after a swap?

I swapped mine for the speaker issue, not the graphics issues. So far neither of the two notebooks I have had seem to have the symptoms that others are reporting (like full screen corruption, etc). Was just chiming in that it's easy to swap even if you have a BTO config.

cityboy-100

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
I am going to try 12.x.2 beta 5 right now.

I think the flickering—like canvas elements in chrome 55—are related to un-updated software in userland. As for the flashing on the login screens, that seems to be a graphics memory issue. I think they are two seperate issues. Perhaps the new beta Craig is referring to is a fix for the userland-implemented stuff.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Is there much harm in installing these betas? I really don't need to but if it offers some useful updates then might as well...

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Nothing is used right now. They don't even have replacement parts or units ready for use yet. They are swapping full retail box units.

Source: just swapped mine.

So replacing one computer with hardware issues with another one that has them will solve the problem?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
So replacing one computer with hardware issues with another one that has them will solve the problem?
The only way what you are saying can make sense is if every 15" MacBook Pro has hardware issues, which can only mean there will be some form of recall.

This does not appear to be the case.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Weird colors, glitching, screen trating and flickering is all symptoms on upcoming GPU failure. I think its just some software that triggers the hardware errors

All my glitches have been on login when the system loads the color profile i made with a colorimeter, after i changed back to original color profile i havent seen it yet. And the colorprofile have link to the gpu

AND for me it seems its the intel 530 gpu that is the problem. Which explaind why all 3 different AMD configs get these

Last edited:

Reha

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I just canceled my order. Will keep using my 2013 13" Macbook Pro for the time being and see how this plays out. If it means I have to wait for the next upgrade for Apple to fix the teething problems, so be it.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Neither of the two 2016 15" MBPs that I've used extensively at this point have had GPU issues - I swapped mine because of the boot camp speaker issue. If that changes in the future, I'll be on here talking about it.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
FYI, don't expect anything to change if it is a hardware failure. Plenty of proof out there that the parts they swap in are used and are ticking time bombs.
Used and ticking time bombs . That does not sound like something they should put in laptops..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.