Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
United States
The evening of Feb. 20th, 2024 wasn't unusual. I sat in bed eating a sesame seed bagel while watching Law & Order (OG; season 6, Briscoe & Curtis) on my 2020 M1 MacBook Air (8GB/512/Silver/twist-of-lemon/sweet-n-low). Avid multitasker and glutton for punishment that I am, I was simultaneously converting MORE Law & Order episodes (s7-s10) using Handbrake when I went downstairs to get some milk. Upon returning to my workstation (i.e. bed), I attempted to wake what I thought to be a sleeping display. It was when I became unsuccessful and attempted a forced reboot of the machine when I noticed the machine was unusually hot. Using a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter, I noticed I was able to use the computer with an external display.

I made an appointment at my nearest Apple DumDum Bar for the next morning. Because I have AppleCare+, the DumDums were kind enough to only quote me for unrelated accidental damage due to a 2-year-old dent in the corner of the lid.

Now, this is where it gets weird.

After picking up my computer this afternoon and despite still only being charged the $99 I was quoted, I noticed they replaced not only the screen but the entire logic board (which, as most of us know, means the integrated CPU, RAM, SSD, etc.). Though I performed a clean install of MacOS just a few months ago, my "new" computer is running noticeably faster than before. I'm wondering if anyone has any theories as to why they would replace the logic board if only the screen was broken. Has anyone had a similar issue? Could it be that my SSD was "worn out" because I only have 8GB RAM and there's a lot of VRAM use? It really feels like it's performing better but I haven't benchmarked since I bought it nearly 3 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.