Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
Am in the market for a new MacBook. Changing from an MBP (2011) which has lived its full life and looking at picking up the Air. The one that’s in my budget range is the M1 Air but it was released in 2020.

Is the Air still worth buying in 2023? And till when would Apple provide new OS for it?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Am in the market for a new MacBook. Changing from an MBP (2011) which has lived its full life and looking at picking up the Air. The one that’s in my budget range is the M1 Air but it was released in 2020.

Is the Air still worth buying in 2023? And till when would Apple provide new OS for it?
YES!! I'm still using an M1 MacBook Air, and it's still working just fine! Go for it!

Reactions: grover5

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
I use my M1 Mac mini daily. It is absolutely capable. Great machine.
Personally, I think that there will be updates for several years: Apple still sells M1 devices. They provide updates at least five years after the last device has been on sale. That would be 2028 at least.
But often, they last longer. My MBP 13" Early 2015 has been sold until 2016. But it will get security updates (for Monterey) until 2024, that is nine years.
M1 could get nine years also (this is an optimistic guess, obviously), that would be 2032.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I love my M1 Air. I would personally get the M2 Air if I was in the market for a new MacBook right now, but that’s because I like the design and wouldn’t mind the price difference. If you do mind the price difference, and there’s nothing wrong with that, the older one is amazing. Fast, silent, handles everything I throw at it. Zero issues, zero regrets, literally THE best computer I’ve ever owned.
Please consider getting the 16 GB version if you plan on keeping it for a few years. Software is, unfortunately, not getting smaller.

Reactions: Isamilis

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Any updates on the screen cracking issue? It affected a number of M1 MBAs. Does the M2 MBA have a better track record in this area having lost the taper and going with the revamped MBP-style design?

Keep in mind that the M2 model adds the extra MagSafe charging port, a quite welcome addition. Larger screen, too, and somewhat faster. Perhaps an Apple refurbished M2 MBA would be a better choice…

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Still using the M1 MBA to date and it runs smoothly, I have it hooked up to a monitor and it beats all my expectations so I will say that it is a great buy in 2023

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.