Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclin10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2021 MacBook Pro 14 inch. How would it compare to a 2024 MacBook Air 13 inch? What would be the major differences, including performance, screen, etc.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Big downgrade on the screen size and tech/refresh rate

For me, to ditch a 14” Pro, I’d have to be getting a bigger screen (15” MBA)

I just can’t do the 13’s any more with my aging eyes

Reactions: ascender

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
With the 2021 Apple silicon MBP, you still get support for more screens, more ports and a fan for better sustained performance. It still strikes me a a very good deal today.

Ultimately depends on your use case. Will you be using your laptop for stuff like content creation, or just normal everyday stuff?

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Main benefit to the MBA is the lower weight and potentially longer support (although this is still an unknown for Apple Silicon Macs). The M3 is faster than the M1 Pro in single core performance and about the same in multicore performance, but the M3 will thermally throttle down much faster for prolonged high CPU usage tasks as there no fan. The MBP has a much faster GPU, but I'm not sure how the M1 Pro GPU will handle games that require mesh shaders going forwards.

Obviously, the MBP will have more ports (one of the nice features I wish the MBA had is a USB-C port on each side so a charge cable can plug into either side).

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Big downgrade on the screen size and tech/refresh rate
Had a 16” MBP M1 Pro and just traded it in for an 13” MBA M3. However, I had them side by side for a day or two as I am a screen snob and while the MBP is noticeable I would argue that the variable ProMotion wasn’t really that good compared to a normal 60hz screen due the terrible response times of the miniLED panel. Additionally, when it came to browsers only Safari took advantage of it as Chrome was choppy and even if you enabled smooth scrolling in Firefox, there were still moments of judder.

After owning basically every Apple device, from a display standpoint it’s either OLED+ProMotion or just their regular LCD panel. MiniLED+ProMotion is just not worth it to me with the terrible response times and ghosting which applies to their iPad Pro line as well.

jclin10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I'll go to a store to check it out, but in your experience, there isn't a huge difference between the MBA and MBP screens? I realize this is a bit based on personal preference. My eyes aren't getting any younger, but neither is my back and there is some appeal to a lighter weight MacBook option.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I just made this switch and am happy as a clam. For my uses, I don’t need anything the Pros offer. I also hook up my MacBook to an Apple Studio Display which eliminates the need for a big screen laptop. But when I do use the laptop’s screen, I have no complaints. It’s relatively bright, colors are outstanding. It’s a good display. I don’t miss the mini LED on my MBP at all except for those times when I’m watching a movie at night. But I rarely do that anyway.

anthony8400

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
I was in the same boat. I had an M1 Pro 16, and wow, that thing striked me as beautiful, fast and heavy.
I used to work from home a lot, so I did not have to carry it around so the weight was not an issue.
Then I started working more remotely, so I went ahead with the M2 Pro 14". Fantastic machine, but working with multiple windows was getting a chore - especially if you sit from a distance.
So I was deciding again between the 16" and the 15" MBA when it got announced. I was like many here afraid of the 'old' LCD panel. I tested them side by side for a few hours, then separately and yes, you do notice the difference in punchy colors, but after a while you don't notice that anymore.
The keyboard on the MBA is fantastic, I personally find it a better typing experience than on the Pro.
Also, the screen real estate on the 15 and the 14 is a big difference - many argue to take the 14 due to price performance ratio, but to me, the 15 is the winner here. It's light, better battery, great keyboard and great screen overall.
Just my two cents.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
I sold my M1 Max MBP 14 recently and am waiting on a custom MBA M3. For me, it comes down to size and weight. I travel a lot and while the MBP isn't that heavy, it is definitely heavier and a bit unwieldy compared to the MBA.

Tbh, I prefer the M1 MBA style more, but as I want the latest tech, I am stuck ordering this version of the MBA.

Unless you are really pushing the Pro to its limits, you should make this decision on the size/weight and how it affects you. Never going to take it out of the house? Get the Pro. Travel a lot and carry it around? Get the Air.

Reactions: Infinitewisdom

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Unless you need the HDR screen, you'll be happy with either and won't notice the difference unless you're switching back and forth between a Pro and an Air. The Air screen is very good.

If you need something that the Pro can do (ports, processing power, HDR) then that kind of makes the choice for you. But if you are just looking for a larger screen or a more "portable" machine, you can go for the Air.

Our team has quite a few people with Max & Ultra Studio machines as their primary device, but with Airs for their laptops. The Airs are really capable machines and their form factor (in 13 & 15") are slimmer and more "portable" than MBPs.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Depends on what your main use case is of course. I have a 15" M2 Air as my work computer, and a 14" M1 MBP as my personal computer.

I use my personal laptop a lot for content consumption where the screen really shines with movies, shows etc. Screen quality is the most important factor for me on my personal computer.

On my work computer I spend all my time in Excel spreadsheets, Outlook etc, so there is no need for anything but a good and large screen, although I do not need nor want the 16" Pro since I tote the computer to and from work everyday, and travel with it a lot too so the 15" is great for that type of work.

So for me it's a bit the other way around really, the Pro machine suits my personal needs more, and the Air suits my work tasks better.

jclin10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
All very helpful, thanks! I'll likely go with a MBA 13" for something lighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.