Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Maybe apple is trying to get people to keep their phone longer.
Apple used to offer $750 for the Pro models (not Pro Max) the past few years. I doubt they are trying to get people to keep their phones longer. That would be altruistic, and Apple is not in the business of altruism. 😉

Reactions: Brad7

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
And correct me if I'm wrong, but to get those carrier credits, don't you have to call them and have them set that up? Typically you're dealing with someone who doesn't fully understand how the program works and it's a total time waster and cluster.
Good question. The last time I bought a phone through a carrier was when subsidies were still a thing. I was absolutely thrilled when they ended contacts…only to bring them back again, in a roundabout way.

Reactions: compwiz1202

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I just did an upgrade mock-up on the Apple Store app. It’s displaying a $570 trade-in value for my 14 Pro. I sure hope this is an error. If not, it’s ludicrous.
I agree - I was shocked - I know they meant carriers when they talked about trade in values being so high but I didn't expect them to be this low through Apple directly.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
I don’t really car considering I paid $999 for an iPhone X 6 years ago and still paying $999 for a way better iPhone 15. Also don’t forget you’re getting a tax break on the trade in as well. Not that it amounts to a lot of money.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
What's crazy is they've gone down $70/year for the past two years - at least for the Pro Max model. 12PM trade-in was $790 at 13 launch. 13PM trade-in was $720 at 14 launch. Now, 14PM trade-in is $650 at 15 launch.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014

Rockoo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
Yup trade in price has dropped more and more each year. I could justify it previously because losing a little bit of the extra value was worth the hassle of not having to sell elsewhere. But this year it's just TOO low, and it stings more that they don't give any extra value even if you purchased a higher storage tier. I think I am going to look elsewhere this year or hold onto my phone for longer.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I was gonna upgrade until I saw Verizon trade in deal.

13PM 15PM
$1000 $800
23mons 36mons

I saw that too… last couple years it was 2 years which was fine for me. I prefer to upgrade every 2 years… not sure how I feel about 3

My 13 Pro max will be fully paid off in December where in my experience… Verizon will offer a $1000 trade in credit for the Christmas holiday sale… hopefully it would be for 2 years if not… I’ll prolly hold on to my 13 PM…. I’m really not pressed to upgrade

My battery has degraded to 85% but I’m a truck driver and my phone stays in the charger majority of the day anyway

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Yup trade in price has dropped more and more each year. I could justify it previously because losing a little bit of the extra value was worth the hassle of not having to sell elsewhere. But this year it's just TOO low, and it stings more that they don't give any extra value even if you purchased a higher storage tier. I think I am going to look elsewhere this year or hold onto my phone for longer.

Popping in as I was just horrified at a $650 TV on my 256 14PM. I'll be sitting this one out.

I saw that too… last couple years it was 2 years which was fine for me. I prefer to upgrade every 2 years… not sure how I feel about 3

My 13 Pro max will be fully paid off in December where in my experience… Verizon will offer a $1000 trade in credit for the Christmas holiday sale… hopefully it would be for 2 years if not… I’ll prolly hold on to my 13 PM…. I’m really not pressed to upgrade

My battery has degraded to 85% but I’m a truck driver and my phone stays in the charger majority of the day anyway

Other members are suggesting that Apple may have lowered the trade-in values to avoid the previously-rumored price increase. If so, I can deal with it. However, I certainly hope that this is not a sign of things to come. Although, knowing Apple, it probably is.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
Other members are suggesting that Apple may have lowered the trade-in values to avoid the previously-rumored price increase. If so, I can deal with it. However, I certainly hope that this is not a sign of things to come. Although, knowing Apple, it probably is.

Meh… I’m blessed to be a bit upper middle class (for which my usual buying power is shrinking everyday) to afford a $1200-$1500 phone every two years… while I’m happy with Verizon’s service, I would rather take the price hike than to lose my flexibility and be locked into Verizon for 3 years at a time if I want their free money.

Two years was reasonable for me

Reactions: Shawn0813

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Meh… I’m blessed to be a bit upper middle class (for which my usual buying power is shrinking everyday) to afford a $1200-$1500 phone every two years… while I’m happy with Verizon’s service, I would rather take the price hike than to lose my flexibility and be locked into Verizon for 3 years at a time if I want their free money.

Two years was reasonable for me
Same here. At one point, I was on a 2 year cycle, then I went from 13 Pro to 14 Pro and will be getting the 15 Pro Max this year. I'm lucky to have the disposable income to feed my tech habit. I may go back to the 2 year cycle this time around, but that all depends on what next year has to offer.

While I don't see myself leaving Verizon any time soon, I like having the option of being able to do it on a moment's notice. I'll take the lower trade-in value for that privilege.

Reactions: Hazmat401

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I use the interest-free financing offered by the Apple Card. I’m of the mindset that I’d rather have the money sitting in my bank account than pay it in one lump sum, if the loan is interest-free.

As far as carriers are concerned, I don’t want them involved in my phone purchase in any way, shape, or form. If I decide to leave Verizon (highly unlikely), I don’t want to deal with losing credits and being liable for the balance.
Iphones keep their value so well that you can sell it for what you owe and still make a small profit, then move to a new carrier.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

Jordan4613

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2022
apple doesn't take into account the storage size for the value. It's the same for all storage options. The best return for value is always buying the smaller storage option for the apple trade in.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Same here. At one point, I was on a 2 year cycle, then I went from 13 Pro to 14 Pro and will be getting the 15 Pro Max this year. I'm lucky to have the disposable income to feed my tech habit. I may go back to the 2 year cycle this time around, but that all depends on what next year has to offer.

While I don't see myself leaving Verizon any time soon, I like having the option of being able to do it on a moment's notice. I'll take the lower trade-in value for that privilege.
The reason I upgrade every year is that trade in values for last years model are usually pretty decent. If you wait another year you lose a few hundred off the trade in (at least) so your next upgrade will be that much more expensive. You also miss out on a year of using the newest tech (and I’m assuming most of us here are tech enthusiasts).

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I just did an upgrade mock-up on the Apple Store app. It’s displaying a $570 trade-in value for my 14 Pro. I sure hope this is an error. If not, it’s ludicrous.

Honestly that’s why better just to upgrade to cheapest none SE phone when you need which is iPhone 13 now, then the yearly cost is much lower, if you care the yearly cost.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
The reason I upgrade every year is that trade in values for last years model are usually pretty decent. If you wait another year you lose a few hundred off the trade in (at least) so your next upgrade will be that much more expensive. You also miss out on a year of using the newest tech (and I’m assuming most of us here are tech enthusiasts).

The first year should lose value the most, change phone every year is still more expensive than changing like 3 years one time, but of course you always get latest tech and new battery.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
My thoughts exactly. I like to get the maximum trade in value for my current device. I’m definitely a tech enthusiast and I enjoy treating myself to a new iPhone. Factoring the $570 that I’m getting for my 14 Pro, the additional outlay will be $629 (plus tax, of course). If I keep the phone for a year, that comes out to around $50 a month. Considering that I spend more than that on coffee, I don’t mind that expense.

Reactions: unobtainium

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
For 1TB 14 Pro Max, the official trade in price of Apple over original price is 6300/13599, which is only 46% value left after just one year. Changing iPhone every year is definitely very expensive. Even you do it in cellular plan, it is just the cost in the plan.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
For 1TB 14 Pro Max, the official trade in price of Apple over original price is 6300/13599, which is only 46% value left after just one year. Changing iPhone every year is definitely very expensive. Even you do it in cellular plan, it is just the cost in the plan.
It’s definitely not cheap, but I don’t mind it. I know some people that buy several pairs of expensive shoes every year, as well as designer handbags. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it!

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
It’s definitely not cheap, but I don’t mind it. I know some people that buy several pairs of expensive shoes every year, as well as designer handbags. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it!

Yeah I see pretty rich people use latest iPhone pro max without case, look like they just buy a new one once they drop it once lol xd.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah I see pretty rich people use latest iPhone pro max without case, look like they just buy a new one once they drop it once lol xd.
It’s funny you should mention that!

Meanwhile, I keep my devices spotless and take great care of them. As soon as I get a new phone, I immediately put a screen protector and a case on it. I may be able to afford a new one every year, but getting several new ones in a year would definitely hurt the wallet! 😉

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I used to rock my iPhone without a case and screen protector but now that I have a toddler...it has changed lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.