Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
2024 will mark the year when all Mac computers will have A.I. built into the framework O.S. after macOS Sonoma (technically or known...)

This means that every NEW Macs built after macOS Sonoma will have to have (as their default OS) an OS that has A.I. built into its framework (and "on" or functioning) at some capacity.

This means that you will not have the option to NOT have an OS without A.I. working within the OS if you purchase a new Mac after 2024 (or after fall's new line-ups). This includes ALL Apple products...but this thread is discussing macOS.

Yes, there will be those who embrace the new technology of A.I. and say, "it is great" and there are many advantages for using it, while others will say that "it has it's dangers".

But let's not get into the advantages and disadvantages of the new A.I. technology, let's have a discussion on whether you are "ok" with NOT HAVING AN OPTION going forward past 2024 of having A.I. built into the OS.

There "might" be an option to "NOT USE IT", but like Siri...it is still on regardless if you use it or not.

What do you think?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Apple has been using machine learning on all of their devices for years. By all accounts whatever AI integration they have this year will be serviced by another provider and there will absolutely be an option to turn it off. I’m not overly concerned about its inclusion as I cannot imagine Apple baking someone else’s service so deep into the OS that it becomes inescapable.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Apple has been using machine learning on all of their devices for years. By all accounts whatever AI integration they have this year will be serviced by another provider and there will absolutely be an option to turn it off. I’m not overly concerned about its inclusion as I cannot imagine Apple baking someone else’s service so deep into the OS that it becomes inescapable.
or at least until Apple's in-house's A.I. is equal and/or better and will remove the third party integration.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Siri is AI. The photos you take on your phone are AI, as is the way Photos recognizes faces. Preview uses AI to read text within images. And that 16-core Neural Engine in the M1 chip hasn't been sleeping this whole time.
True, and currently the OS is mores a "light" A.I. functionality, but going forward after macOS Sonoma, we will see a progression towards a fully integrated A.I. (like Star Trek's "Computer" (as we see in bots - and many on this forum too), but the OS will eventually doing things without our intervention - yes it does now, but it is still minor). Already we see "light" suggestions from Siri, but as A.I. progresses, it will observe and record everything as to you are doing, and then "ask" you "if you want me to do this for you" all the time.

Yes, when Siri came into the picture, we now knew "officially" and it became more upfront. But eventually a fully A.I. OS is the goal. Of course it might not be a bad thing depending on the workflow, but I and not sure if I like my Mac being fully controlled by A.I. functionality and integration as its code will be written into the OS (eventually seamless and not third party). That would mean a dependency on A.I. for the OS's functionality, which I and not a big fan off.

Eventually, we would have no choice if you do not want slow downs or complications while using whatever apps. Yes, the argument would be it depends on the app developer's A.I. integration, but that also is the eventual goal as we are already seeing the "suggestions" for developers to also get into A.I. development within their apps. Has its good and bad points too.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I think we will have an option to turn off the cloud AI ie Siri with LLM capabilities.

I don’t mind AI at all if it’s done locally on the NPU on the M1 chip.

As for Cloud AI for Siri I will most likely turn that off like I do currently with Siri now.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I think we will have an option to turn off the cloud AI ie Siri with LLM capabilities.

I don’t mind AI at all if it’s done locally on the NPU on the M1 chip.

As for Cloud AI for Siri I will most likely turn that off like I do currently with Siri now.
Siri might be "off" as far as usage, but is it REALLY "off" or just not interacting with the user. I am sure others may be able to comment on this. Like windows, it might still be listening and gathering info. and calling "home" while being "off" for user usage. Could be wrong, but might be the case...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
We've had "AI" (aka machine learning) on MacOS for years and years. We haven't specifically had LLM-based tools as far as I'm aware, but that's also not really AI.

I think this stuff has yet to prove itself to be reliable, and I really hope Apple isn't just rushing to keep up with the lacklustre stuff we've seen from MSFT, Google, etc. If they're building this stuff into the OS, it better be solid as hell or have a simple off-switch. I have no interest in being a beta tester on my primary computing devices.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
It’s not AI. It’s just more advanced programming / automated tasks / machine learning at best. If it was AI, it could decide whether it even wants to help you completing your task or shut down the computer just because it wants to do it. So tired of this “AI” marketing.

So no. I’m not worried even if it’s on by default.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Siri might be "off" as far as usage, but is it REALLY "off" or just not interacting with the user. I am sure others may be able to comment on this. Like windows, it might still be listening and gathering info. and calling "home" while being "off" for user usage. Could be wrong, but might be the case...

You aren’t defining a real problem or concern other than using the phrase ‘AI’ like people used to say ‘boogeyman’ to scare children. Worse here you are just speculating with ‘might.’ AI is just another tool. If Apple wanted to listen in they don’t need AI, they just need to turn on the microphone. I don’t waste time on conspiracy theories.

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
an OS that has A.I. built into its framework
This is not how macOS works. It is made up of many smaller components, and for most of them using AI makes no sense.

There are several places where it is used today, and Apple will expand on that this year.

With their approach to privacy and on-device processing I am not worried about this at all.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
2024 will mark the year when all Mac computers will have A.I. built into the framework O.S. after macOS Sonoma (technically or known...)

This means that every NEW Macs built after macOS Sonoma will have to have (as their default OS) an OS that has A.I. built into its framework (and "on" or functioning) at some capacity.

This means that you will not have the option to NOT have an OS without A.I. working within the OS if you purchase a new Mac after 2024 (or after fall's new line-ups). This includes ALL Apple products...but this thread is discussing macOS.

Yes, there will be those who embrace the new technology of A.I. and say, "it is great" and there are many advantages for using it, while others will say that "it has it's dangers".

But let's not get into the advantages and disadvantages of the new A.I. technology, let's have a discussion on whether you are "ok" with NOT HAVING AN OPTION going forward past 2024 of having A.I. built into the OS.

There "might" be an option to "NOT USE IT", but like Siri...it is still on regardless if you use it or not.

What do you think?
What I think is tech moves forward, always. Our job is to pay attention and take advantage of the new tech as it becomes available. Whining about the past is waste of bandwidth.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I don't know. I'm getting too old for all these tech changes. I can't keep up. I know since Walmart started using AI, my online orders have been funky. I couldn't tell what was what. I had to call support to get it straight. It was showing I had deliveries coming that day on the 3rd. But I received them on the 1st. I think they got AU, Artificial Unintelligence.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Why are we overreacting about macOS 15 having AI?
I mean, you dont have to use it...
This discussion is not "overreacting". It is a discussion about having "AI" integrated into macOS going forward.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
From the OP:
"but like Siri...it is still on regardless if you use it or not."

You can disable Siri if you wish.
That's what I do.

But beyond that...
I have a Mini (typing on it now), with a display that has no internal mic or camera.
How is Siri (or any other form of AI except perhaps a key logger) going to monitor me...?

(on the MacBook Pro, there are software apps, such as "Oversight", that can disable the mic and camera for just about everything... unless Apple has enabled a "way around that"...)

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
True, and currently the OS is mores a "light" A.I. functionality, but going forward after macOS Sonoma, we will see a progression towards a fully integrated A.I. (like Star Trek's "Computer" (as we see in bots - and many on this forum too), but the OS will eventually doing things without our intervention - yes it does now, but it is still minor). Already we see "light" suggestions from Siri, but as A.I. progresses, it will observe and record everything as to you are doing, and then "ask" you "if you want me to do this for you" all the time.

Yes, when Siri came into the picture, we now knew "officially" and it became more upfront. But eventually a fully A.I. OS is the goal. Of course it might not be a bad thing depending on the workflow, but I and not sure if I like my Mac being fully controlled by A.I. functionality and integration as its code will be written into the OS (eventually seamless and not third party). That would mean a dependency on A.I. for the OS's functionality, which I and not a big fan off.

Eventually, we would have no choice if you do not want slow downs or complications while using whatever apps. Yes, the argument would be it depends on the app developer's A.I. integration, but that also is the eventual goal as we are already seeing the "suggestions" for developers to also get into A.I. development within their apps. Has its good and bad points too.
I have no idea what a full A.I. OS is supposed to be or do. With my science fiction hat on I can see the whole current computing paradigm being turned on it’s head, but that is still a few years down the line. I don’t think anybody knows for sure where we’re going with AI. AI might plateau (due to cost, legal issues, etc), it might soar and become ‘self aware’ and a problem, or it might simply be integrated and taken for granted.

Whether to ‘Accept’ AI services or not in an operating system seems a bit of an odd question to me. Did you ever ‘accept’ the internet? Or ‘wifi’ or ‘machine learning’? AI (currently a misnomer if there ever was one) is NOT here yet, at least not that we know😉. All we have so far is clever machine learning and massive databases. And that’s been on your phone and laptop for years.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm 100% sure nothing we have now or in the near future is true "AI," and I'm about 99% sure that it'll never exist because there's a qualitative difference between human thought and the way computers "think" that we're no closer to bridging than we ever were.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I'm 100% sure nothing we have now or in the near future is true "AI," and I'm about 99% sure that it'll never exist because there's a qualitative difference between human thought and the way computers "think" that we're no closer to bridging than we ever were.

Yes. What we have is hallucinating inference. There is no intelligence and reasoning behind it at all. It just looks like it might be the case to people who don’t understand it.

Call me when something can reason about what it has created. Until then I will have to put up with AI drawn images of handshakes which look like mutant sausage orgies and LLMs generating the textual equivalent.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
Yes. What we have is hallucinating inference. There is no intelligence and reasoning behind it at all. It just looks like it might be the case to people who don’t understand it.

Call me when something can reason about what it has created. Until then I will have to put up with AI drawn images of handshakes which look like mutant sausage orgies and LLMs generating the textual equivalent.

This. The limits with AI moving forward will be that AI cannot have the human competencies of reasoning or critical decision making. The way we humans make decisions is based on experience, culture, religion, traditions, goals--none of which AI has.

AI cannot make a "rational" or "irrational" decision, because it cannot "think". We can state whether an AI outcome itself was rational, but rationality itself is not a component of AI decision making. So, AI could push a cup over and spill coffee on the floor, which we would determine is not a "rational" activity, but logic didn't go into the actual activity since AI cannot "think". We could not accuse the AI of being "irrational".

AI can perform activities based on information given but it cannot "make decisions", and it cannot consider mitigating or other factors. AI is simply task oriented.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.