Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
I've just moved to Austria from the US, & I have my PowerMac G5 with me. It's a vintage machine, I think the 1.6 GHz model (single processor, but I still love it! :)
But since I've been here I haven't been able to run it because of the power difference.

However I just looked at the Apple page on Tech Specs, and it should run on the European 220 volt standard as well.

Does anyone know if that's true, and all I need is a plug adapter? or do I really need a voltage converter (220-110 volt).

Also, how many watts does the old G5 tend to use?

Thanks for your help!

Dwight

Skopelos-Slim

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
Europe Power

Dwight - I am running a MacBook in Greece and am having some small problems with the power. Make sure that your plug adapter (US to Contunental) is really snug. I have found that if the plug adapter (into the wall) is at all loose an inadvertent nudge can cause a spark. This happened to me and I suspect it was the cause of RAM failure and subsequent crashes.

It might be worth your while to run your PowerBook through a UPS while at home to cover yourself with power abnormalties like we have in Greece. Austria power might be more stable though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.