Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
I got my 24" iMac (2.33mhz, 2gig, 250hd, 7600) on Monday. Love it. I've installed Boot Camp and Windows works fine. I fired up Day of Defeat: Source and put the setting to max and enabled vsynch. When vsynch is disabled I get some bad tearing issues, even though the FPS aren't usually going above 60. When I enable vsynch the FPS is limited to 30. Shouldn't it be 60?

I have vsynch set to "program controlled" in the Nvidia display settings in windows.

Anyone else play DOD and have some tips on graphic settings?

I haven't tried any other games yet but I'll post more info as I do.

sokrates

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
well from my experience as an oldschool gamer :D I used to always turn vsync off first thing after I installed the nvidia drivers... it sucks fps like hell, try turning it to "always off" the tearing is strange, I tried q3 and cod2 and neither had any issues, just worked as on any other pc....also, 30 sounds resonable since the screen runs at 60 hz, so half of that would be 30, thus syncing would result in 30 fps (which suxx of course :p )

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
If you're getting a constant, consistent 30, why does it matter? 30 fps is the rate of a TV, and console gamers seem to be perfectly happy with it.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
ehurtley said:
If you're getting a constant, consistent 30, why does it matter? 30 fps is the rate of a TV, and console gamers seem to be perfectly happy with it.

As much as one may think it does seem to make a difference in first persons. I know the eye can't see past 32 fps or something like that, but you can notice some sluggishness when its lower then a solid 40. At least that's what I've found in my past experience.

sokrates

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
in fact the human eye can only see about 29 fps, that's why some ppl claim that "more than 30 is superflous anyway" while the first part of the sentence may be true (I am a physician myself, I'd know :cool: ), this cannot be said about the latter..... In my personal opinion, anything below 125 fps ain't smooth :D you can definately tell the difference between a machine that struggles to keep it above 30 and one that just doesn't care... and trust me, next time you aim at that bastard in quake and he just kills you because your game wasn't running smoothly, you'll find yourself disabling all the graphic goodies in no time just to get those damn extra fps ;)

so please don't bs me with this "the human eye can only see" bs... being able to see is one thing, but still being able to tell the difference is a whole other story.

just my humble opinion :p

edit: and about console gamers, well yes but they don't play first person shooters, the games on consoles are designed to work with shabby refreshrates and low resolutions (at least they were until now..) besides that, playing a FPS with a gamepad is so far away from being smooth as ice cream is from hell, so it wouldn't really matter now would it? ;)

Jenkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Okay, so what I"m hearing is that 30FPS is the standard "synched" rate for the 24" iMac? And I should probably turn off vsynch in the nvidia display settings to get faster FPS without the tearing. I'll try this tonight and post any progress.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.