Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
im not to informed on intel sockets, just ordered 24inch imac but didnt opt for cpu upgrade as its very pricey, im hoping maybe one day in the future i can upgrade it, would a xenon fit in the socket or the core Quodro when released?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
speakerwizard said:
im not to informed on intel sockets, just ordered 24inch imac but didnt opt for cpu upgrade as its very pricey, im hoping maybe one day in the future i can upgrade it, would a xenon fit in the socket or the core Quodro when released?
No, a XEON will not fit in the iMac. They use different sockets.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Some reports say the new iMacs have the chip soldered in place.

Even if it is socketed, there aren't likely to be too many upgrades possible: Intel is changing to a different socket soon.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
yeah another area for frequent upgrades is the graphics card.

unfortunately the imac 24" does not as reported have an easy upgrade path for this. it is built deep inside the imac. so, reports of upgradablility are vastly wrong. while a better card could theoretically be put in there. there are none at this point available at retail. basically only apple has the cards they put in there. and they don't make it easy to reach.

i wish apple woudl release a mid tier tower/mac something better than the imac, but less expensive than the mac pro. something we users can upgrade over timemas tech advances

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.