Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
The whole idea of taking it to 256GB is fine, but generally speaking the future is a stabilization of size for on device storage. The overwhelming majority of Photos, Music, Video, and user-generated data must be stored in one place in the cloud and then cached intelligently on the device. I long ago gave up trying to duplicate my music and photo collections across devices, duplication which simply drove up the costs of the devices and ultimately ran up against hard technological limits.

Today, I'm very happy with the iCloud Music and Photos Library today and I'm very interested to try the caching available in Sierra. So, yeah 32-64GB is quite comfortable for me and I'm hoping I won't ever need more than a 1TB of flash on my Mac. The real question is... when will I be able to get more than 1TB on iCloud? That's something I'll need soon.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah, but you gotta buy a samsung phone ;(
heh Does apple ever give anything away :) I don't care, I'll still buy their phones..mehbe the new 256 gig..128 is for paupers! :)

Samsung kind of need to give things always just to get people on board, it still won't make up for how terrible TouchWiz is. That's why I stick with iPhone and Apple, others may be creating nice designed phones as well just lately, but Apple's IOS and the way everything works well together (not to mention regular updates) is just the best on the market!

Reactions: fourthtunz

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
It's always better to have too much storage than not enough. You could use the extra space to store movies, videos, music collection, etc. The price of memory is constantly dropping as the memory sizes get larger and larger, and in smaller packages. Apple would really be moving away from their old ways if they only bumped the price $100 for the extra 96gb.

The thing is, for me now with all my music coming from streaming, I need less space on my iPhone now, as I never find the need to download music on to my iPhone as I have a generous amount of data and get good signal coverage where I use my iPhone.

Just been thinking back. I'm pretty sure that when Apple got rid of the 32 GB iPhone (can't remember which iPhone they done this with) and replaced it with the 64 GB model, the price was the same for the 64 GB model to what the previous generation iPhone was for 32 GB. Hopefully Apple will do the same this time if they get rid of the 64 GB and replace it with the 128 GB.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The thing is, for me now with all my music coming from streaming, I need less space on my iPhone now, as I never find the need to download music on to my iPhone as I have a generous amount of data and get good signal coverage where I use my iPhone.

Just been thinking back. I'm pretty sure that when Apple got rid of the 32 GB iPhone (can't remember which iPhone they done this with) and replaced it with the 64 GB model, the price was the same for the 64 GB model to what the previous generation iPhone was for 32 GB. Hopefully Apple will do the same this time if they get rid of the 64 GB and replace it with the 128 GB.
I've got a 64gigs or more of music so I like to have it with me for parties..streaming is always hit or miss up here
in the great white north. Then theres the movies and tv shows, apple doesn't allow streaming or download over a cellular connection like Amazon,youtube and hulu do so you better have the movies and tv shows on your device if you want to be able watch them. So for me the storage space and some streaming fills my needs..if yer in a big city
you probably don't need it.
[doublepost=1471633147][/doublepost]
Yes apples sales continue to decline.
Sure..they are in the middle of a drought right now..end of cycle
They're getting ready to update just about everything..
I"d still buy their stock over most of the others..they may sell less phone and macs but they still make more
$$ off what they do sell.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I"d still buy their stock over most of the others..they may sell less phone and macs but they still make more

I invested in Apple stock several times over the past 10 years, but I would be hesitant to invest in them now.

While it is toward the end of a cycle, I think the overall enthusiasm about the iPhone 7 and well, any of their current products is lower than I ever remember with any other cycle. A big exception to this is the iPhone 8(2018).

Couple that with the repeated bad news such as the first ever year over year revenue decline in 13 years, and it could be a little more risky than normal to buy their stock.

Do I think Apple is going to go out of business, no, not at all. But, will their stock price hold steady with revenue decline? Probably not.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I'm still at 83GB free. Unless you're planning to shoot a f-ton of 4K video nobody needs 256GB on a smartphone.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I invested in Apple stock several times over the past 10 years, but I would be hesitant to invest in them now.

While it is toward the end of a cycle, I think the overall enthusiasm about the iPhone 7 and well, any of their current products is lower than I ever remember with any other cycle. A big exception to this is the iPhone 8(2018).

Couple that with the repeated bad news such as the first ever year over year revenue decline in 13 years, and it could be a little more risky than normal to buy their stock.

Do I think Apple is going to go out of business, no, not at all. But, will their stock price hold steady with revenue decline? Probably not.
They make more per phone than the others but Apple will continue on a downward trend for a time I agree.
They've diverted their attention from their bread and butter and have focused on automobiles etc.
This trend has been in the making for 3years or so, it'll be a couple before they come out of it.
All that said, they are still a very interesting company to watch.
[doublepost=1471639373][/doublepost]
I'm still at 83GB free. Unless you're planning to shoot a f-ton of 4K video nobody needs 256GB on a smartphone.
Speak for yourself! I need 256 Gigs! I have to keep erasing movies and tv shows! :)

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Who needs Micro SD cards?! ;)

Well...................I guess not with that much space. (Was thinking for transfers (wifi is too slow) however even my my android I just use a micro usb and a flash drive. (A must for large files)

On space alone, nah, more than I would use.

cgaw23

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I've got a 64gigs or more of music so I like to have it with me for parties..streaming is always hit or miss up here
in the great white north. Then theres the movies and tv shows, apple doesn't allow streaming or download over a cellular connection like Amazon,youtube and hulu do so you better have the movies and tv shows on your device if you want to be able watch them. So for me the storage space and some streaming fills my needs..if yer in a big city
you probably don't need it.
[doublepost=1471633147][/doublepost]
I don't even know how that sentence got posted I was in the middle of writing something but couldn't finish my thought process and I think I may have posted accidentally lol. Not sure if this was the post about Apple possibly starting iPhone 7 off with 32gb entry level models but I think the 16gb entry level models need to go. It's just not enough storage for the average user. And the price jumps between storage capacities is insane. I think this has hurt Apples iPhone sales in the past and I hope moving forward they will release products with better storage configurations on their entry level devices. And of course longer battery life is a want of mine as well.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Who needs Micro SD cards?! ;)

Let's see: 128GB MicroSD card = $30~$50 depending on brand. 256GB MicroSD card: $150~$250, depending on brand and good brands are at $150...

Cost of 16GB iphone at MSRP: $650
Cost of 64GB iphone at MSRP: $750

Hmm, let's see while using the 16GB model as baseline: We can pay $100 for an added 52GB of storage space...

Gee, what a shame Apple doesn't give the customer post-purchase options. This is compassionate capitalism at its not-quite-finest example.

I forgot to add:
Cost of rumored 256GB iphone: Well, it's a rumor and only doing a mind**** with the readers since actual news is less FUD-driven...

Don't think different. Just think! Cook doesn't want you to, neither did Jobs.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Plenty of people have more than 256gb of music and videos. Maybe they want offline usage. 256gb is only too much when you don't have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.