Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
What’s the difference between these 2 official Apple USB C to USB C Cables if the sole purpose is to use it to charge my 15 Pro? One clearly has the new woven pattern but if I don’t care about that mesh covering, is it going to charge my iPhone 15 Pro the exact same way or is the cable limited to some sort of a wattage? For some reason the older design usb c cable (without the mesh covering) is also non-returnable to Amazon. Why would that be? It’s shipped and sold by Amazon.

These are the two cables:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The woven one can handle more wattage but that's not relevant if you are only using it with an iPhone.
I would still the extra for the woven one, you never know when or if you will be connecting it to something that needs more power.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
The woven one can handle more wattage but that's not relevant if you are only using it with an iPhone.
I would still the extra for the woven one, you never know when or if you will be connecting it to something that needs more power.
So if the sole purpose is to charge an iPhone 15 Pro they are both identical in terms of supply the maximum wattage required to charge an iPhone 15 Pro at the fastest supported speed? Is there a reason why the non-woven version of the cable even though it’s shipped and sold by Amazon is non-returnable? Could it be a fake knockoff cable?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
So if the sole purpose is to charge an iPhone 15 Pro they are both identical in terms of supply the maximum wattage required to charge an iPhone 15 Pro at the fastest supported speed? Is there a reason why the non-woven version of the cable even though it’s shipped and sold by Amazon is non-returnable? Could it be a fake knockoff cable?
Yes, the iPhone 15 won't be able to use more than 25 watts so the non-woven version is more than enough.
But, I would still go for the woven one, its no extra money to get a better cable and you have the option to return it if you want. I doubt the ribbon version is more durable but considering it can handle more power it might be and should you ever use it to charge a laptop (most have USB-C today) it can handle that as well.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Old 100W cable vs. new 240W cable.

The old 100W spec was depreciated so currently based on USB-IF spec, there is only 60W or 240W.

From a practical difference, there is none for charging your iPhone 15. Pick the 100W if you want to save a few dollars.

Amazon likely doesn’t allow returns to prevent fraud. Customers buy the real one and exchange with fake.

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.