Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
iOS, to me, feels like a predictable OS. And that's what I want with my DD. It doesn't have to be exciting, it has to be reliable/fast/etcetera.

I feel like Android is all this plus customization and extra features.

I honestly don't feel iOS is as predicable as it should be. The random security measures that sometimes calls up pin code or password requirements when I want to download something. Or when the stock keyboard comes up instead of the third party one I set as default. The back button isn't always in the same place (upper left, upper right, center, bottom left, etc). To unlock my iPhone, randomly I'll have to punch in my pin code instead of my usual finger print. Or sometimes settings are in the main Settings menu, sometimes it's in the actual app itself.

These aren't nitpicking examples. This is everyday usage and navigating around the OS.

Not trying to deny iOS is right for you, of course; I just wish I found it as predictable as you did.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I honestly don't feel iOS is as predicable as it should be. The random security measures that sometimes calls up pin code or password requirements when I want to download something. Or when the stock keyboard comes up instead of the third party one I set as default. The back button isn't always in the same place (upper left, upper right, center, bottom left, etc). To unlock my iPhone, randomly I'll have to punch in my pin code instead of my usual finger print. Or sometimes settings are in the main Settings menu, sometimes it's in the actual app itself.

These aren't nitpicking examples. This is everyday usage and navigating around the OS.

Not trying to deny iOS is right for you, of course; I just wish I found it as predictable as you did.

For the record, the most consistent and reliable mobile OS I had ever used was Windows Phone 8.1 on the 1520.

Reactions: epicrayban

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I agree and I also feel like Google should go all out on a premium Pixel phone to combat iPhone. My thing is, right now I can't recommend any one android device to my family. They all have gmail accounts which would make Android super easy, but there really isn't a right phone on the market that offers everything the iPhone environment offers.

The Android landscape is a whole lot of good but not exactly great. Nearly all the premium devices have flaws I can't manage for my family. And I love Android as an OS.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
You can't be serious right? Because it doesn't make sense. Their are android phones who actually destroy the iPhone on specs, screen and build quality. I don't care about the preference of some people who like to stick with iOS but that's just not true.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You can't be serious right? Because it doesn't make sense. Their are android phones who actually destroy the iPhone on specs, screen and build quality. I don't care about the preference of some people who like to stick with iOS but that's just not true.
List an Android Device and I'll tell you the compromise.

Fair warning: If you can't get the latest OS version within a few months of release, it's out.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For the record, the most consistent and reliable mobile OS I had ever used was Windows Phone 8.1 on the 1520.

Windows Phone has the best RAM management and consistency. The problem was the app selection tied with the lack of developers that did the OS in. If the Surface Phone is true, we can forget mobile computing as it is because x86 computing in a smaller format that is more portable could be looming. That could really innovate the market if done properly. Windows Continuum is the step in the right direction.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Windows Phone has the best RAM management and consistency. The problem was the app selection tied with the lack of developers that did the OS in. If the Surface Phone is true, we can forget mobile computing as it is because x86 computing in a smaller format that is more portable could be looming. That could really innovate the market if done properly. Windows Continuum is the step in the right direction.

There is no way the Surfade Phone can be x86. Core M gives off too much heat, and Intel cancelled the atom line that Android phones were using.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
There is no way the Surfade Phone can be x86. Core M gives off too much heat, and Intel cancelled the atom line that Android phones were using.

Yeah rumors are saying it's not x86. That's why MS is investing so much into continuum. Personally I think not being x86 will be the nail in the coffin, especially if MS is targeting this to enterprise customers. But the hardware capabilities just may not be there yet for x86 on a phone, especially since Intel is bailing on Atom for mobile.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

It can be if Microsoft takes their time either developing chipsets or paying another company to go into x86 computing. Samsung or TSMC could take a crack if they work in conjunction with Microsoft. If not, AMD might be able to step up. At some point, we could see x86 computing in a small platform if there are tablets at $200 with that feature.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It can be if Microsoft takes their time either developing chipsets or paying another company to go into x86 computing. Samsung or TSMC could take a crack if they work in conjunction with Microsoft. If not, AMD might be able to step up. At some point, we could see x86 computing in a small platform if there are tablets at $200 with that feature.

The first one is more possible than the second, given AMD makes small heaters and they wouldn't work well in phones.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The first one is more possible than the second, given AMD makes small heaters and they wouldn't work well in phones.

AMD might be worse than Intel now, but I would like someone to step up and help make x86 computing possible for a Surface phone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I would as well. But unless Microsoft can convince somebody not AMD to do it, there's no way.

Then there is not much incentive to a potential "Surface Phone." I think Microsoft makes the best hybrid tablet/computers with the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4, but that's all I would really get from them. I bought a Lumia 540 for like $10 months ago. Haven't used it much.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
List an Android Device and I'll tell you the compromise.

Fair warning: If you can't get the latest OS version within a few months of release, it's out.
There is a difference between you not liking something and a general opinion. I don't like the iPhone because of the average screen resolution, poor bezels, ugly design language and inconsistency of iOS. But that's just mine opinion. Same goes for you, you're in the supposition that Android smartphones are just "good". Which isn't a fact but just your way of looking at it.

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I'm currently using iPhone 6s+. I have been using iOS/iPhone for the last 3 years. During those years I invested significant amount of money to apps on iOS, devices like IPadPro 13", MacBook Pro, Watch, TV, TimeCapsule etc. So changing ecosystem does not seem as a viable option for me. Apart from it there are some killer features on iOS like content blockers, iMessage which do not exist on Android. So the only device that can be replacement is iPhone 7+ for me. BTW I can not believe Android still has no content blocking option (because of Google's ad business).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Then there is not much incentive to a potential "Surface Phone." I think Microsoft makes the best hybrid tablet/computers with the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4, but that's all I would really get from them. I bought a Lumia 540 for like $10 months ago. Haven't used it much.

As much as I dream about it, the surface phone will be dead on release, much worse than even the 950/950xl. It's just way too little way too late. The lack of apps will continue to be an albatross to the platform. If companies like Amtrak are dropping support for existing apps, there will be nothing left when the surface phone comes out. They canceled project Astoria, which was meant to make porting android apps very easy. Continuum is something that really no one will care about, they are just blown up phone apps and if you already have a screen/keyboard/mouse all set up and have to carry around the dock you might as well just setup a full desktop/laptop/tablet PC.

Microsoft's strategy here is extremely questionable, but hey these are the guys who released windows RT. There are ways they can make a comeback, but they are not interested in that. Consider their prime strategies for making money these days is cloud and subscriptions they are ignoring millions of smartphone users who will choose to stay in the google or apple ecosystem. Microsoft is far from doomed, they are doing phenomenally with cloud/subscriptions and even surface is making them lots of money. But the mobile market is completely dead for them unless they fix their strategy. When a super fanboy like myself says these things you know it's bad.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm currently using iPhone 6s+. I have been using iOS/iPhone for the last 3 years. During those years I invested significant amount of money to apps on iOS, devices like IPadPro 13", MacBook Pro, Watch, TV, TimeCapsule etc. So changing ecosystem does not seem as a viable option for me. Apart from it there are some killer features on iOS like content blockers, iMessage which do not exist on Android. So the only device that can be replacement is iPhone 7+ for me. BTW I can not believe Android still has no content blocking option (because of Google's ad business).
I get why Google does it, but the lack of content blockers available for the Chrome for Android is ridiculous.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Space Black mock up:

space-black.png

iPhone-7-Plus-space-black-2.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What turns on is slowly getting better. Slower than I want, for sure.

Seriously, it wouldn't be hard at all for iOS to crush Android. If only...

What turns on gets worse every year, those huge bezels look more antiquated with each passing minute.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
LG V20? Nope
gsmarena_001.jpg

HTC Sailfish or Marlin? Nope
CpyEaxaUsAAxdRk.jpg:small

Apple iPhone 7? Still has physical home button and no dual speakers? No, thanks!
iphone-7-vs-iphone-7-plus-1.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note7? Here's a grand!
galaxy-note-7-black-onyx.jpg

A flagship is only worth it to me if it happens to be tops in almost every single area. The room for error has to be tiny being the best of the best since we are paying top dollar. Only thing I don't like is the glass back which I can remedy using a black dbrand carbon fiber skin.

My main reason for getting Note7 is VR. I want to experience the new and improved Gear VR. Even if I took VR out of the equation, we are still left with a smartphone that surpassed the S7 edge as being the best smartphone of 2016. You can't deny all the other areas it excels in. Samsung has everyone beat this year.

#1 - Note7
#2 - S7 edge

The rest of the competition is fighting for third place.

Jaime Rivera is still a decent reviewer and PocketNow is still worth looking at after Michael Fisher left. Hai-me is still more interesting to listen to than Brandon Miniman from back in the day...

Reactions: jamezr

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Honor 8 is up on Best Buy's website for preorder. Hopefully they will put one out since they have the Honor 5 on display.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Honor 8 is up on Best Buy's website for preorder. Hopefully they will put one out since they have the Honor 5 on display.

Doesn't look bad honestly. I like that Huawei is still trying to grow their US presence.

They also said the phone would be supported for 24 months.

Future Honor phones to get “up to 24 months” of software updates
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Futu...t-up-to-24-months-of-software-updates_id84296

Has their software gotten any better though? It was still laggy the last time i used the honor 5x. And that was updated to MM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.