2nd HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Racerdog55, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Racerdog55 macrumors member

I just got a second hard drive for the mac pro, What I would like to be able to do is copy my video and music files over to it, what do I need to do to the drive in order for this task. Thanks
    Racerdog55

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, you'll probably need to format it in Disk Utility. This is done by clicking on the Erase tab and selecting a format (choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and then clicking Okay or whatever. Once this is done, simply drag your files over to it. :)

Of course, this is all assuming it's already installed inside your machine. :p

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I mean no disrespect at all by this question, but I'm curious: How did you justify getting a mac pro when you don't even know something this basic about computing? Are you one of those lucky few who didn't need to "justify" this purchase?

If so, will you adopt me???

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Its very easy to install, just make sure the right side is up. You will need to pull a lever at the back of the mac pro and pull the 2nd hard drive holder and screw it in.

Then you do what mad jew said and enjoy.

5. Racerdog55 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mad Jew for your response, and the reason I posted such a question here is because this is the first Mac computer I have owned, Been a PC user for years, I bought the Mac Pro because I could, not because I needed it. LOL And no I'm not in the adoption mode today I already have grown kids and grandkids that I'm supporting. He,He
    I thought posting in the Mac Basics and Help forum was the correct place for this elementary questions.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I don't think that installing and formatting a drive is that "basic" at all. I've known plenty of people who know how to use a Mac Pro or a Power Mac for what they are doing (design work) but don't know anything about upgrading the computer.

I guess "basic" is a relative term.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, the first time I replaced a drive I forgot to format it. It's not basic at all, it's not even self-explanatory. It's worrying when the thing isn't recognised by the Installer, that's for sure.

Anyway mate, welcome to Macs and feel free to ask us anything you like, as basic as you may think it is. Of course, remember to do a search first to see if it has already been answered before. :)

8. Racerdog55 thread starter macrumors member