Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racerdog55

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Lumberton, Tx.
I just got a second hard drive for the Mac Pro, What I would like to be able to do is copy my video and music files over to it, what do I need to do to the drive in order for this task. Thanks
Racerdog55

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, you'll probably need to format it in Disk Utility. This is done by clicking on the Erase tab and selecting a format (choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and then clicking Okay or whatever. Once this is done, simply drag your files over to it. :)

Of course, this is all assuming it's already installed inside your machine. :p

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
I mean no disrespect at all by this question, but I'm curious: How did you justify getting a mac pro when you don't even know something this basic about computing? Are you one of those lucky few who didn't need to "justify" this purchase?

If so, will you adopt me???

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Its very easy to install, just make sure the right side is up. You will need to pull a lever at the back of the mac pro and pull the 2nd hard drive holder and screw it in.

Then you do what mad jew said and enjoy.

Racerdog55

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Lumberton, Tx.
Thanks Mad Jew for your response, and the reason I posted such a question here is because this is the first Mac computer I have owned, Been a PC user for years, I bought the Mac Pro because I could, not because I needed it. LOL And no I'm not in the adoption mode today I already have grown kids and grandkids that I'm supporting. He,He
I thought posting in the Mac Basics and Help forum was the correct place for this elementary questions.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I mean no disrespect at all by this question, but I'm curious: How did you justify getting a mac pro when you don't even know something this basic about computing? Are you one of those lucky few who didn't need to "justify" this purchase?

If so, will you adopt me???

I don't think that installing and formatting a drive is that "basic" at all. I've known plenty of people who know how to use a Mac Pro or a Power Mac for what they are doing (design work) but don't know anything about upgrading the computer.

I guess "basic" is a relative term.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, the first time I replaced a drive I forgot to format it. It's not basic at all, it's not even self-explanatory. It's worrying when the thing isn't recognised by the Installer, that's for sure.

Anyway mate, welcome to Macs and feel free to ask us anything you like, as basic as you may think it is. Of course, remember to do a search first to see if it has already been answered before. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.