Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halfmonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I was just about to buy the 2tb tc but as I was going through these forums, I read that it doesn't support upnp and it has given some people problems when trying to connect their ps3 online to play online games.

I would actually hard wire my ps3 to the tc but if I can't get online to play black ops ii, then tc is a no go for me. :( I thought I had found the answer to my problems of updating my router and using tm to back up my data all in one but it appears that it will have to wait.

I've read that there are some work arounds and I've also read that some people have had no problems playing their games online whereas other have reported problems. :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I had a PS3 and it worked just fine with my Time Capsule with no special configuration at all. I believe the TC supports NAT-PMP, and this works with the PS3.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I was just about to buy the 2tb tc but as I was going through these forums, I read that it doesn't support upnp and it has given some people problems when trying to connect their ps3 online to play online games.

I would actually hard wire my ps3 to the tc but if I can't get online to play black ops ii, then tc is a no go for me. :( I thought I had found the answer to my problems of updating my router and using tm to back up my data all in one but it appears that it will have to wait.

I've read that there are some work arounds and I've also read that some people have had no problems playing their games online whereas other have reported problems. :confused:

Upnp has nothing to do with sharing Internet, it has to do with sharing media files across a local network. It will not affect your ability to play online games. Knowledge is power: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Upnp has nothing to do with sharing Internet, it has to do with sharing media files across a local network. It will not affect your ability to play online games. Knowledge is power: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

The op needs upnp because I suspect that the PS3 needs ports to be forwarded. UPNP supports the dynamic opening of NAT ports. From your link
NAT traversal

One solution for NAT traversal, called the Internet Gateway Device Protocol (IGD Protocol), is implemented via UPnP. Many routers and firewalls expose themselves as Internet Gateway Devices, allowing any local UPnP control point to perform a variety of actions, including retrieving the external IP address of the device, enumerate existing port mappings, and add or remove port mappings. By adding a port mapping, a UPnP controller behind the IGD can enable traversal of the IGD from an external address to an internal client.

OP the time capsule has NAT-PMP which should work for you. I have never had problems with devices that need UPNP being used on NAT-PMP although the ps3 might still say UPNP is not available it should still work. If anything you can put your PS3 on a DMZ which will open up all ports to it. This is not good for PCs but a PS3 isn't really hackable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.