Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chreller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I'm thinking about buying the MBP 13 inch, but I have some questions:

1. How good is the C2D 2.4 GHz compared to an Intel Core i5 520UM 1,067 GHz?

2. How good is the 320m compared to a 310m with 1Gb ddr3 dedicated?

3. How good is the battery life, does it provide 10 hours?

Basically I have the choice between a Macbook Pro and the Asus ul30jt at almost the same price here in Denmark(the MBP is a little more expensive), but I will only wait for the Asus, if it has more Power and Battery than the Macbook Pro.

You can see the Asus here: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=dh1loes9V1IGKwCA

Ja-m-ie

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I'm not going to be of much help here - though I just wanted to express an opinion :p

I went on your link and I was very impressed by that laptop.

Though during the video on that site, when the Windows applications came up, I cringed. It felt so stale and like they had defaced that stylish beauty of that laptop.

Just my thoughts - probs the reason why my heart is set on the Macbook Pro 13" :apple:

mschaef

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I tend to agree with Ja-m-ie... a Mac is a Mac and a PC is a PC. It probably makes more sense to come to terms on that decision and then which laptop you want to buy.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
1. core i5 will be way faster. you really can't compare the two because they're completely different cpus.

3. yes it will provide 10 hours if you follow apple's test settings.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
They're very close. You basically have to choose between a i3 with 320m or an i5 with 310m. And keep in mind that OS X probably won't work on the PC, and Windows probably won't work (well) on the Mac.

koyou

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
HK
I'm thinking about buying the MBP 13 inch, but I have some questions:

I will add one more question.

4. How good is the OSX compared to the windows 7?

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
I will add one more question.

4. How good is the OSX compared to the windows 7?

I use both operating systems on a daily basis. For someone new to computers, I think OSX would be easier to use. However, I think they both work equally well if you know what you're doing.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Op what are your needs is it just daily surfing and word processing or photo editing,games etc?

@koyou I would not get into that discussion because both are good for different needs :)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

With turbo boost, they are pretty equal ... but that Core i5 CPU isn't exactly the counterpart to the C2D.

Memory rarely is an indicator of GPU performance - the 320M is a beefed up 310M, therefore the 320M is better.

This is still in the air, but with the screen at 25-50% brightness and some basic CPU usage like surfing the web, you can expect at least 9 hrs.

koyou

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
HK
Why I am asking the question is due to the fact that most of the people switching to Mac are having enough troubles on Windows. Maybe some are looking for the great design of MBP, but I think more are coming for the OS.

In PC world, the intense competitions on spec make PC users focus only on the spec of laptop. That's why almost every switcher is comparing the spec of new MBPs with those PC laptops. But, Apple is not so focus on it (maybe there is no competition) and SJ will not build a computer with all the most-updated techniques. I am considering to buy my very first mac after the release of new MPB. And I understand that spec is not focus of Apple, so I am thinking only about how good is the OSX compared to Windows.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
well i am in the same boat really and have posted such in some threads around here as well. I was *really* *really* ready to click the buy-now button with the base MBP13" in my basket since i am waiting to get one since the white MB in september 2009. However i really totally absolutely cannot convince myself that it is justified to spend $1500 (EUR1149) for a 2007 CPU with a 5400 RPM harddrive and no dedicated intel GPU / nvidia offloading.

My laptop needs to last 4 years so then the c2d will be 7 (!) years old. My friends' HP laptop has a quad core i7 for less money with hyperthreading so can run 8 virtual 'cores' simultaniously. I know specs don't say all and OSX>M$ .... but this really really isn't worth the $1500 they are asking for it in my humble opinion.

I was considering the 15" since it at least has an i5 with dedicated GPU, but that is around $500 above my initial budget.

So now I too am considering the asus. I have no interest in a hackingtosh, but need to use Win7_x64 for work every day and it is really quite good and runs CS4 very very well. Besides I will most likely dual boot it with Fedora13 anyway with KDE4.2.

I probably won't get a MBP this time around. i am more and more convinced about that even though i REALLY want it. the MBP13 is underspecced and the MBP15 never really was in my league financially.

and yes i am sure it will run anything i need to do now just fine (internet, email, etc.) but who says it will GPU accelerated/multithreaded FF5 or Chrome9 or IE14 well in 4 years?

so join the "wait for sandy bridge thread" and wait ... yet again, or throw in the towel buy a Asus and see you guys in 4 years?!

stefan

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Why I am asking the question is due to the fact that most of the people switching to Mac are having enough troubles on Windows. Maybe some are looking for the great design of MBP, but I think more are coming for the OS.

In PC world, the intense competitions on spec make PC users focus only on the spec of laptop. That's why almost every switcher is comparing the spec of new MBPs with those PC laptops. But, Apple is not so focus on it (maybe there is no competition) and SJ will not build a computer with all the most-updated techniques. I am considering to buy my very first mac after the release of new MPB. And I understand that spec is not focus of Apple, so I am thinking only about how good is the OSX compared to Windows.

It depends on what you will be using it for, both have advantages and disadvantages.

On windows side:

1. Really good on office software, many people use windows in business so you will not have any incompality issues.

2. A lot of people can help you if you have any problems, because most people use windows.

3. A lot of software alternatives can be found easily.

On os x side:

1. It is more stable and safe to use it, you even do not need an antivirus

2. It is easy to use it, you do not encounter with problems as often as windows users do.

3. Personally user interface is a lot better than windows but it is not as customaizable as windows.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
well i am in the same boat really and have posted such in some threads around here as well. I was *really* *really* ready to click the buy-now button with the base MBP13" in my basket since i am waiting to get one since the white MB in september 2009. However i really totally absolutely cannot convince myself that it is justified to spend $1500 (EUR1149) for a 2007 CPU with a 5400 RPM harddrive and no dedicated intel GPU / nvidia offloading.

My laptop needs to last 4 years so then the c2d will be 7 (!) years old. My friends' HP laptop has a quad core i7 for less money with hyperthreading so can run 8 virtual 'cores' simultaniously. I know specs don't say all and OSX>M$ .... but this really really isn't worth the $1500 they are asking for it in my humble opinion.

I was considering the 15" since it at least has an i5 with dedicated GPU, but that is around $500 above my initial budget.

So now I too am considering the asus. I have no interest in a hackingtosh, but need to use Win7_x64 for work every day and it is really quite good and runs CS4 very very well. Besides I will most likely dual boot it with Fedora13 anyway with KDE4.2.

I probably won't get a MBP this time around. i am more and more convinced about that even though i REALLY want it. the MBP13 is underspecced and the MBP15 never really was in my league financially.

and yes i am sure it will run anything i need to do now just fine (internet, email, etc.) but who says it will GPU accelerated/multithreaded FF5 or Chrome9 or IE14 well in 4 years?

so join the "wait for sandy bridge thread" and wait ... yet again, or throw in the towel buy a Asus and see you guys in 4 years?!

stefan

I do not think that in 4 years time the applications will be improved that much to make core 2 duo struggle with it..

I am using a Core 2 Duo 1.66 Ghz old HP now, it is still performing well with Vista or Windows 7. Consider this is os x, which means it is doing more with less specs unlike spec hungry windows series...

Until steve jobs realeses a new os, core 2 duo's will still perform well..

chreller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Wow this has turned into an Apple vs Windows thread, when it was just supposed to be a Macbook Pro 13 inch vs Asus UL30JT thread.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
well not in my book it is turning in a win vs osx thread. I prefer OSX usability wise but do think both are pretty decent. win7 is *very* stable too and hasa working UAC so is pretty safe with not admin users. OSX is great, stable and safe as well. i like the artwork from OSX better, but even apple advises to use antimalware stuff these days. Heck i actually even prefer linux over both but can't live without M$ office or CS4.

If you need to buy now i personally would favor the Asus, although i am eyeing a different asus currently. I think i can sit out just one more refresh so i might just wait once more myself, or be impulsive and buy that old C2D on a whim :)

stefan

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Asus vs MBP13"

1. A i7 or i5 UM is slower. Yes the new Core ix are very good in some benchmarks but for Games all the Hyperthreading doesn't help much it come down to clock speed mostly and here a C2D 2,4Ghz that can run both cores at this speed destroys an i5 or i7 UM. The LM might be worth considering the UM are here to replace old CULV CPUs and are much slower, only the high Turbo might make them equally fast in pure single threaded workload.

You can but an extra battery for the Asus which easily offers you all day computing if you need it.

The 310M vs. 320M I really can't say. 310M has faster memory access and more Memory but the 320M has according to specs triple the shader cores and more number crunching power.

I would get the MBP if you think you will use OSX most of the time and can live with all its short comings (less & sometimes worse programs available, less customization options, different UI). The MBP is more expensive but the whole Notebook just has an awesome build quality and the display is very good. Asus uses like all the other manufacturers these cheap low contrast display panels. Also 13,3" is a lot smaller. Did you ever see one in store that is like having a 12,1" 16:10 Notebook.

Get the MBP. Equal or better in Performance. The better screen is worth the money and the build quality of everything else.

PS: I don't have a MBP yet, I only intend to switch because I like the notebooks quality and I guess I can work with OSX too although I am not a big fan.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
well not in my book it is turning in a win vs osx thread. I prefer OSX usability wise but do think both are pretty decent. win7 is *very* stable too and hasa working UAC so is pretty safe with not admin users. OSX is great, stable and safe as well. i like the artwork from OSX better, but even apple advises to use antimalware stuff these days. Heck i actually even prefer linux over both but can't live without M$ office or CS4.

If you need to buy now i personally would favor the Asus, although i am eyeing a different asus currently. I think i can sit out just one more refresh so i might just wait once more myself, or be impulsive and buy that old C2D on a whim :)

stefan

Mac has MS Office. You can install and use it.

Also, you can install windows on macbooks too. I do not know how stable will it be, but techinacally it is possible..

Anyway, I will use my old HP for windows and macbook for os x.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Which Asus is it you are eyeing?

currently i am loking at this one: u30jc

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/asus-u30jc-1a-review/

it is "just" $900 ($250 less then the base MBP13) and is aluminium with mac like clickety keys. In May i believe an i5 and an i7 version will come out, although the Netherlands will just get the i5. It has lots of things i love about the MBP (keys, build) and better specs. From what i read the i5 will be €900 here in Holland. i also like that is has 1366x768 on a 13" screen.

it gets good ratings too, although i dont know about the MBP13. i have been looking for some to convince me to buy one, but there arent many yet.

stefan

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Mac has MS Office. You can install and use it.

yeah i know it does. i was even so sure i was going to buy a 13" MBP this refresh i already bought an official M$ office 2008 license and a silver waterproof sleeve. they are both lying around new and unused waiting for the MBP i was sure i would order this month ... until i saw the specs of the 13" "pro". i know specs dont mean everything, but i still feel apple treated the 13" un-pro-worthy.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
They're very close. You basically have to choose between a i3 with 320m or an i5 with 310m. And keep in mind that OS X probably won't work on the PC, and Windows probably won't work (well) on the Mac.

I might argue that Windows usually works just fine on a Mac. I've been able to put my VMWare virtual machine to pretty good use... On the other hand, OS X simply doesn't happen on a PC withing hacking.

derlockere

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Hi!

My 2cents on the performance issue: I would at lest wait to see the Asus benchmarked to be sure how much more sheer CPU power it has.

I am using Matlab quite often as well as LaTeX compiling and both runs decently fast on my 15 uMBP 2.66 GHz. I would just like to have 8GB RAM instead of the 4GB I have for several applications being opened (VmWare, Matlab etc.).

Ergonomy: I think it's more important then the sheer CPU performance. I use the MBP relatively often on the ride (train or aircraft) and there the ergonomy of the huge MBP trackpad is unbeaten. Whenever I see those other guys around with their tiny trackpads having their mouse beside on a foldable table in the train I feel with them, this is not the way I could work for some hours.
I personally can compare to HP's 8530's lot's of my colleagues got from the company and being even better speced than my MBP. If I use these machines and the trackpad I ask myself after putting two fingers on "and how should I move now, the trackpad is already nearly fully covered by my fingers".

I do not know about the Asus trackpad, seems not as tiny as the HP's but I would definitely compare such things in advance.

Fortunately, I got my MBP from my company but even if I now would have to by one again I would go for it with my own money. Do you have no option to buy it over student friends? This saves 12% ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.