Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spartacus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Some questions I can't seem to find definitive answers to (please, no flaming):

1) Now that Apple will be using x86 Intel chips, does that mean software already written for x86 hardware (Windows) will work on the new Intel Macs? (i.e. could I open a .exe file or a native windows game in OS 10.4.4 on an Intel Mac?)

2) Why won't the Universal Binary version of OS 10.4.4 work on any PC platform? Is there a way around this?

3) Will new games and software be able to run on a Mac now that they use the same hardware as a Windows machine?

Thanks folks, I'm new to all of this and I think answers to these questions will help the greater community understand what's going on with this transition.

Peace!

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Spartacus said:
1) Now that Apple will be using x86 Intel chips, does that mean software already written for x86 hardware (Windows) will work on the new Intel Macs? (i.e. could I open a .exe file or a native windows game in OS 10.4.4 on an Intel Mac?)

No. Compiled Windows software is completely different from Mac software.

2) Why won't the Universal Binary version of OS 10.4.4 work on any PC platform? Is there a way around this?

Because Apple designed it to only install on their hardware.

3) Will new games and software be able to run on a Mac now that they use the same hardware as a Windows machine?

Not really. At some point in the (hopefully) near future, virtualization should make it possible to run Windows apps within Mac OS X, either in a window (a la Virtual PC) or on a shared desktop (a la Wine). Also, it will probably be possible to install Windows on your Mac in a dual-boot configuration in the future. In this case, the game would run on the Mac hardware, but not within the Mac OS itself.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
jimthorn said:
Not really. At some point in the (hopefully) near future, virtualization should make it possible to run Windows apps within Mac OS X, either in a window (a la Virtual PC) or on a shared desktop (a la Wine). Also, it will probably be possible to install Windows on your Mac in a dual-boot configuration in the future. In this case, the game would run on the Mac hardware, but not within the Mac OS itself.
Part of it is that the new Macs use EFI instead of BIOS or OpenFirmware. Windows (or so I've been told) doesn't support EFI, so you're kinda SOL so far.

Also, does anyone know if EFI supports Target Disk mode?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Counterfit said:
Also, does anyone know if EFI supports Target Disk mode?

I think EFI is a bit like OpenFirmware in that it allows for a lot of extensions and hardware provided functionality. The new Macs may well support Target Disk mode but this does not mean that all EFI machines do/will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.