Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
On Saturday my new 30 gig iPod slipped out of my hand and fell two feet onto concrete. This of course happened before a trip. Ironically, there's only a minor dent in the upper righthand corner of its aluminum backing. I've tried just about everything to revive it. I couldn't even force it into firewire mode!@#@! I guess my question is this. Has anyone else had this problem? Is Apple going to screw me to get this thing fixed?

Also, I'm a heavy user of Audible.com and ITMS. This thing is screwed! How the hell am I going to unregister my iPod when all I get is a flashing folder with an exclamation point?

thanks.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
First off...try plugging the iPod into an outlet and see if it charges. Perhaps you need to charge the battery.

If it is charged enough, try to force restart it.

Try one of your many combinations of buttons. Examples:
Play + Center
Menu + Center
Play + Menu + Center
All 5 buttons
etc.

Get your latest iPod software ready on your computer in case you need to restore the iPod.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
do exactly what cobra said, and send it back, ive been very surprised on ipod repairs when it comes to customer abuse.

iJon

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
... yes the screen name sucks... I will not argue with that.

Cobra & iJon - Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried every button combination I can think of. I'm thinking that I'll bring my iPod to my local Apple Store and see what they have to say. I've heard many horror stories about Apple warranty repairs... but maybe I'll luck out.

Thanks again.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i broke my screen from it being crushed in my backback, sent it back, they sent me a new one. how the hell it happened i dont know but i would never count on it happeneing again.

iJon

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
iPod lives again!

Well, I dropped by my local Apple Store today and to my astonishment they replaced the unit right on the spot at no charge. That's what i call kick *ss service!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.