Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lazard Captial Markets analyst Daniel Amir believes that Apple is working on two new iPhones that will arrive in the coming months. These would include a high end 32GB iPhone with camera improvements as well as a low-end 3G version. Production for the devices would being in April and ramp up in May, with a release in June.
[Amir] noted, however, that the low-end version may only be available in the fast-growing, emerging markets of Brazil, Russia, India, and China, while the high-end version is expected to make its way to North America and Europe.
As with most analyst reports, "channel partner" checks are cited as the source.

A 32GB iPhone has been long expected and has been dependent on the release of suitably dense memory chips that could fit within the current iPhone casing. A couple of vendors have announced possible memory chips that would be available this year. As a whole, analysts have been notoriously unreliable sources, and this particular group has no notable track record. Still, a June release of the new iPhone is certainly expected. Now with WWDC's dates set for June, Apple has an appropriate venue to announce new products.

Article Link: 32GB High End iPhone and a Low End Version in Works?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
And what exactly is the difference from the current 3G iPhone, to the one being called a low end version?
Oh, wait:

The low-end version is expected to run on a 3G network, rather than on Wi-Fi

Riiight...

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
[Amir] noted, however, that the low-end version may only be available in the fast-growing, emerging markets of Brazil, Russia, India, and China, while the high-end version is expected to make its way to North America and Europe.

Has Apple ever released a product that was available in other countries and not the US?

andrew0122

macrumors regular
I can't wait for the new iPhone. I'm still rockin' an 8gb 2g.

If the rumors are true about the faster 3g this this is going to be awesome.

I really like this concept of the new release:
iphone4g.png

Just not sure about the silence switch. . . ? But I do really like the placement of the camera.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Same here. It's pretty much the ONLY reason I'll upgrade. No other hardware enhancements really interest me that much...

What if the new phone has more system RAM and allows background apps while the old one does not?

(Not that I'm expecting this, I'm just trying to guess at other "must-have" items.)

H$R

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2008
Ugh!

32GB would be wonderful 2 years ago when my music library was smaller. These days, music + podcasts + apps + photos, I need 64GB! :(

I was thinking the same for quite some time. My first iPod was 40 gig. But after that I got used to the 8 gig Nano. So when I am finally going to buy me an iPhone this summer, I will be happy enough with 32 gig.

I am not really needing a better camera, though I think it has to have one in order to compete with other phones.

fliptastic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
as usual

as usual, apple updates memory, makes a device better, etc. like clockwork. you could play the waiting game for the "next" version, or you could just pick up whatever comes out and know its going to be a kick a$$ device. i love apple. now, if my contract would allow me to be eligible for an upgrade!

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Yeah, I don't get why Apple are so tentative about camera hardware. An iPhone with a Sony Ericsson quality camera and proper MMS would be a lovely thing..

Far as I'm concerned, it's useless pixels/hardware. It's almost the same as the usual point and shoots. If I really want anything better, I'm headed for a SLR, and not bother with more pixels or a flash on an iPhone.

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
The current iPhone model costs around US$800 in Brazil. And I'm yet to see a single iPhone in the streets, so I wouldn't qualify Brazil as a "fast emerging" market, iPhone-wise. :p

So, crippled, under-specced, over-priced new iPhone? "yay"

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
I was thinking the same for quite some time. My first iPod was 40 gig. But after that I got used to the 8 gig Nano. So when I am finally going to buy me an iPhone this summer, I will be happy enough with 32 gig.

I am not really needing a better camera, though I think it has to have one in order to compete with other phones.

Well yeah, right now I have a 8GB G1 Touch. and I just have all my media sorted via smart albums. While its usable, still sucks when you want to listen to a song only to find out it wasn't synced.

Atm I have 32GB of music, about 4GB of podcasts, a few gigs of audiobooks and 20 or so apps that I use which make up another 2-300MB. So yeah, 64GB would be sooooo nice :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.