Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
It is still October 31st, but it appears QCassidy has won the October Haunted Rumble. Congratulations!

It also looks like the 60 miles in 2 months group did very well! Very good.

Now we begin a new more exciting format moving from individual-centric challenges to team challenges.

I have set up a few:
  • a 2 Month 2250 Mile Challenge for the group
  • a Run for the Mac you own or want challenge
  • an East versus West (QCassidy vs Twood) team distance challenge

There was also a 5K individual event set up for the group on 22-November if you make it great - if not, fine as well.

If as a group we can get the 2250 done or beat it presents interesting options for 2008.

As always all are welcome to join. Post in the thread or PM me to join. There is no minimum qualification - anyone can join and for the team challenges we need everyone - the more the merrier.

turkey.running.jpg

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
As always all are welcome to join. Post in the thread or PM me to join. There is no minimum qualification - anyone can join and for the team challenges we need everyone - the more the merrier.

I'm guessing you have to have a Nike+ for this? If only they'd make one for the iPhone!

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
It seems to be glitch in the Nike+ site setups - when I set a challenge and invite folks sometimes it fails so I need to do it again - but it should not be 20 times...I would think possibly 6. If it is more than that it is something with the Nike+ site and setting it up.

Sorry if you are feeling spammed, but some is me, but if you are getting 20 then that is something else under the covers of the Nike site.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
It seems to be glitch in the Nike+ site setups - when I set a challenge and invite folks sometimes it fails so I need to do it again - but it should not be 20 times...I would think possibly 6. If it is more than that it is something with the Nike+ site and setting it up.

Sorry if you are feeling spammed, but some is me, but if you are getting 20 then that is something else under the covers of the Nike site.

yeah, i've gotten probably 20 total (for all the various challenges). not a big deal, i don't hold it against you. ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
It also looks like the 60 miles in 2 months group did very well! Very good.

:D By a quarter of a mile but hey, I did it. Not bad considering that I was on holiday for two weeks of it - and I've been doing some more spin and pump classes. Those last 2.5 miles today hurt since Wednesday is usually a rest day! ;)

Great job on thinking up some interesting challenges for us all in November. Are our two team captains canvassing for runners or should I just toss a coin?

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Does Nike+ have programs for walkers too? Or is it all running?

I have some bum knees, and the impact from running tears them up (especially my left one) so I would be more of a walker.

I wanted to get more into walking, and the nike+ system intrigued me, but I wasnt sure if there was anything involved with it that caters to walkers or if it was only for joggers.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio

I have some bum knees, and the impact from running tears them up (especially my left one) so I would be more of a walker.

I wanted to get more into walking, and the nike+ system intrigued me, but I wasnt sure if there was anything involved with it that caters to walkers or if it was only for joggers.

It measures distance and time for whatever you do so I don't think it would limit you to just running.

Applespider

macrumors G4
You can calibrate it for walking pace and use it like that. It will just take more hours to do the distance challenges. These new challenges will likely help since as they're not 'time' based and as groups, your mileage will still be useful.

I started off walking and then doing some running. I bought a Nike+ for my mother so she could challenge herself to do longer walks etc.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

you could just walk instead of run/jog. it will keep up with your miles and all

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
:D By a quarter of a mile but hey, I did it. Not bad considering that I was on holiday for two weeks of it - and I've been doing some more spin and pump classes. Those last 2.5 miles today hurt since Wednesday is usually a rest day! ;)

Great job! I think since I started doing these challenges that you are the most improved runner - used to do 6- 15 miles a month and now getting in 25-30 miles - great work and keep it up!

I would also like to give props out to Twood, rickvanr, QCassidy, mudbug, dsyntax, llyod and the others who consistantly show up and keep it going. Give yourselves a big pat on the back.

I know since I started last December that I have increased my speed gradually and lost 30 pounds - so it can be done it will happen and you will feel better for it - and, and - you get to the point where you can eat whatever you want no problem. Keep it up.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Thanks for the responses!

That's good news, now I can go get the gear and participate!

glad to have you!

Great job! I think since I started doing these challenges that you are the most improved runner - used to do 6- 15 miles a month and now getting in 25-30 miles - great work and keep it up!

I would also like to give props out to Twood, rickvanr, QCassidy, mudbug, dsyntax, llyod and the others who consistantly show up and keep it going. Give yourselves a big pat on the back.

I know since I started last December that I have increased my speed gradually and lost 30 pounds - so it can be done it will happen and you will feel better for it - and, and - you get to the point where you can eat whatever you want no problem. Keep it up.

yeah thanks to all the guys who continue to show up! without everyone here, it's not worth doing it. now we gotta keep it going!

that's great that you lost 30 pounds! congrats!

btw, i just got a Nike Amp+ watch tonight :cool:

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Deefuzz - one thing you'll want to keep in mind is that it will average your time over a mile, whether you're walking or running or jogging, so that portion of it may not be that helpful to you. I have that problem myself, since my wife and kids like to go for walks with me in the evening, and that massively slows my time per mile. I don't want to remove the distances because everything counts in the challenges I'm in, but I wish I could just tell it to ignore the time per mile when I'm walking. Anyone know how to tell it to do that?

and to chime in with how well this is working - I've lost 29 pounds now, with several more to go, but I'm on my way. This seems to be just enough motivation to me to keep me after it. At first it was all about the calories to me, but now I'm really working on speed & endurance, something I've never had in either department. I'm hoping that by the 1st of the year next year I'll start running competitively in the local 5k races (there's one every weekend of the year, sometimes more than that), but want to make sure I'm competitive before I really start logging my times with the race management folks. I'm close now, but not quite there.

For the record, I haven't been in this good a shape since high school (15 years ago?)

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay

Your increase in speed has been impressive.
I'd trade my ability in distance for speed any day.

Well done!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Deefuzz - one thing you'll want to keep in mind is that it will average your time over a mile, whether you're walking or running or jogging, so that portion of it may not be that helpful to you. I have that problem myself, since my wife and kids like to go for walks with me in the evening, and that massively slows my time per mile. I don't want to remove the distances because everything counts in the challenges I'm in, but I wish I could just tell it to ignore the time per mile when I'm walking. Anyone know how to tell it to do that?

and to chime in with how well this is working - I've lost 29 pounds now, with several more to go, but I'm on my way. This seems to be just enough motivation to me to keep me after it. At first it was all about the calories to me, but now I'm really working on speed & endurance, something I've never had in either department. I'm hoping that by the 1st of the year next year I'll start running competitively in the local 5k races (there's one every weekend of the year, sometimes more than that), but want to make sure I'm competitive before I really start logging my times with the race management folks. I'm close now, but not quite there.

For the record, I haven't been in this good a shape since high school (15 years ago?)

you can't tell it to forget the walking for your average time. just look at how slow my overall time is.

glad to hear your success! keep it up!

count me in! im universltrav in case you dont remember me from the late join in oct.

i would represent macbook pros and the east

it's not east vs west (considering we are both from the east, QC and me)

so you gotta pick between TW (me) and QC. ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Congratulations to ziwi, mudbug, and everyone else who's done such a great job of getting in shape, losing weight, staying motivated, and making these challenges fun for us all! 2250 by the end of the year is gonna be TOUGH, so everyone keep it up!

And btw, go team macbook! I think the update today is a sign that we're the team of destiny! ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Congratulations to ziwi, mudbug, and everyone else who's done such a great job of getting in shape, losing weight, staying motivated, and making these challenges fun for us all! 2250 by the end of the year is gonna be TOUGH, so everyone keep it up!

And btw, go team macbook! I think the update today is a sign that we're the team of destiny! ;)

yeah 2250 is gonna be hard. but we can do it!

go team mpb!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.