Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
well i finally got my ankle checked out today. it's a regular ankle sprain. i can run on it, just gotta keep icing and stuff.

I have had so many sprains (bad ones too) that sometimes I tweak it just walking and it gives real easy...the lateral motion is not so bad but any other activity (basketball, football, etc. where pivioting is necessary always feels tender. Sometimes just stepping on the side of the sidewalk can turn it now - never seems to get the strength back for the side to side motion.

Glad you can run again. I need to start shaking up my training and try to do something with it as I am on a plateau for dropping pounds and getting faster. I think I need to do some interval and hill training - should be fun...;)

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
yeah it does stink. hopefully it'll get better quickly now though.

is your season over? are you going to state?

The season is now over, our team did go to state for the 8th year in a row but we got 14th out of 16! My coach was pissed. I was talking to him today in school, and he was telling me about a group of sophomores from another school and lets just say we have a little catching up to do, but it makes me want to go out and run more now that I'm healthy again.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have had so many sprains (bad ones too) that sometimes I tweak it just walking and it gives real easy...the lateral motion is not so bad but any other activity (basketball, football, etc. where pivioting is necessary always feels tender. Sometimes just stepping on the side of the sidewalk can turn it now - never seems to get the strength back for the side to side motion.

Glad you can run again. I need to start shaking up my training and try to do something with it as I am on a plateau for dropping pounds and getting faster. I think I need to do some interval and hill training - should be fun...;)

yeah, i've turned my ankle tons of times, but never like this. the first night it looked like a tennis ball sticking out of my foot. i had to take 5 days off in a row from running, which is a ton for me.

thanks. i can run, but i must continue to ice, and wear a brace on it and stuff. yeah some intervals will be good for you ;)

The season is now over, our team did go to state for the 8th year in a row but we got 14th out of 16! My coach was pissed. I was talking to him today in school, and he was telling me about a group of sophomores from another school and lets just say we have a little catching up to do, but it makes me want to go out and run more now that I'm healthy again.

well at least you made it to state. i went to watch my old high-school team run at region, and they didn't make it to state by 2 points :eek:. but one guy made it individually though, which is good. and the girls made it also.

that's good to hear that you're healthy though. keep running :cool:

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
crap...

looks like I may be sidelined for a while. My nano has decided it doesn't want to play with the nike+ kit or anything else for that matter. I've tried every "fixit" I can find with no avail, so I'm probably looking at replacing the ipod itself (lucky me).

the issue: previously, the ipod tended to reboot when the nike+ receiver was inserted. this was annoying, but I just came to terms with it being "normal" and moved on. Now, it is stuck in a continuous reboot loop if it's plugged into anything - the nike+ thing, the usb cable to the computer, anything - it just reboots over and over. I've done a fair bit of googling and reading all kinds of support threads at Apple looking for anyone with the same problems and can't seem to find a reproduction of what it's doing. Lucky me, I guess. I can go out and buy another ipod tomorrow to get back on track if I have to, but the worst part is that I did a decent run tonight at a pretty good clip and I can't get the data off the ipod. And yes, I've tried running all the diagnostics, and tried rebooting it manually (like 80 billion times now) and I've tried putting it in disk mode, which fails to do anything for me other than give me the "ok to disconnect" screen - the Mac(s) fail to recognize there's anything attached to them. Also it seems the ipod isn't aware of the Mac at the other end of the cable, except that the battery icon flashes when it gets plugged in, so I know there's at least juice going through the cable.

Here's the score:
nothing good having tried on 2 different Macs using 2 different versions of iTunes using 2 different USB cables yielding the same results. Whoopie. :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
looks like I may be sidelined for a while. My nano has decided it doesn't want to play with the nike+ kit or anything else for that matter. I've tried every "fixit" I can find with no avail, so I'm probably looking at replacing the ipod itself (lucky me).

the issue: previously, the ipod tended to reboot when the nike+ receiver was inserted. this was annoying, but I just came to terms with it being "normal" and moved on. Now, it is stuck in a continuous reboot loop if it's plugged into anything - the nike+ thing, the usb cable to the computer, anything - it just reboots over and over. I've done a fair bit of googling and reading all kinds of support threads at Apple looking for anyone with the same problems and can't seem to find a reproduction of what it's doing. Lucky me, I guess. I can go out and buy another ipod tomorrow to get back on track if I have to, but the worst part is that I did a decent run tonight at a pretty good clip and I can't get the data off the ipod. And yes, I've tried running all the diagnostics, and tried rebooting it manually (like 80 billion times now) and I've tried putting it in disk mode, which fails to do anything for me other than give me the "ok to disconnect" screen - the Mac(s) fail to recognize there's anything attached to them. Also it seems the ipod isn't aware of the Mac at the other end of the cable, except that the battery icon flashes when it gets plugged in, so I know there's at least juice going through the cable.

Here's the score:
nothing good having tried on 2 different Macs using 2 different versions of iTunes using 2 different USB cables yielding the same results. Whoopie. :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

well that stinks. i've had a similar problem with the continuous rebooting, but my mac would still see it. i guess maybe let the battery run all the way down, and then plug it up to your mac?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I can't restore, because I can't get the ipod to mount on the computer. Is there a way to accomplish one without hooking it to a computer? Perhaps a key sequence I haven't tried yet?

I know these:
action+menu = reboot
action+back(left) after reboot = diagnostics
action+play after reboot = disk mode

(oh, and no luck yet - probably going to buy a new nano tomorrow)

astarling06

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Manhattan, KS
Nike+ Challenges

I'd like to join these challenges. I've been a little lazy the past few days and not hit the pavement but I'll make an exception for MR. It's getting chilly here in Kansas but I'm always up for a good ol' fashioned challenge!

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Eureka! It's fixed! I did somethingorother after running yesterday which it seems corrupted both my iPod and my wife's iPods, as they both started displaying the same symptoms this evening. I had to put them both in disk mode, and keep them plugged in while the mac rebooted, then one at a time unplug and plug them back in, and they finally mounted again. I restored both - a minor price to pay compared with buying new kit.

Thanks for all the help & responses guys - see you all out pounding the pavement.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'd like to join these challenges. I've been a little lazy the past few days and not hit the pavement but I'll make an exception for MR. It's getting chilly here in Kansas but I'm always up for a good ol' fashioned challenge!

great to have you aboard! welcome ;)

Eureka! It's fixed! I did somethingorother after running yesterday which it seems corrupted both my iPod and my wife's iPods, as they both started displaying the same symptoms this evening. I had to put them both in disk mode, and keep them plugged in while the mac rebooted, then one at a time unplug and plug them back in, and they finally mounted again. I restored both - a minor price to pay compared with buying new kit.

Thanks for all the help & responses guys - see you all out pounding the pavement.

awesome! glad you got it all worked out :cool:

achie25

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Maybe this isn't the best spot to post this so please forgive me.

I have a new nano and plan on picking up the Nike+ at some point.

How do you get all set up to use the Nike+?

From what I have heard all you get it the pod in the Nike+package. How do you set up you strides and all of that? Is it all done through the nike website?

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004

From what I have heard all you get it the pod in the Nike+package. How do you set up you strides and all of that? Is it all done through the nike website?

Essentially, you strap it on and go. You can calibrate it by walking a known distance or running a known distance to better approximate the style of running you do. Other than that you create an account at nikeplus.com when you sync for the first time or preferably before that as to not have any issues with the first sync.

To join our group of merry men...I mean people ;) just PM me you email or nike+ screen name case specific. I will then sign you up for challenges.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

yep, just follow ziwi's advice, and you'll be set. it's pretty easy, but if you have problems, we're here to help.

glad to see more people start to use nike+ ;)

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
I'm definitely joining this, I wish i would have seen this sooner, since I've been using mine since July. Unfortunately it is getting tough to run here in Michigan with the cold weather and last night when I ran it was snowing a bit :eek:.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm definitely joining this, I wish i would have seen this sooner, since I've been using mine since July. Unfortunately it is getting tough to run here in Michigan with the cold weather and last night when I ran it was snowing a bit :eek:.

glad you finally found us ;)

yeah, the cold can be tough. at least this can help you get out there more though

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
that's not good. is that the only nano you have?

Indeed. :( Not sure what I'm gonna do.

On an unrelated note, are people fixed on their teams once they join a team challenge? I ask because "my" team has significantly fewer members than "twood's" team. Although the members of team QC are faster, fitter, smarter, more popular, more attractive, and generally better people, pure weight of numbers does count for something. ;)

(Nobody yell at me - that was a JOKE)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Indeed. :( Not sure what I'm gonna do.

On an unrelated note, are people fixed on their teams once they join a team challenge? I ask because "my" team has significantly fewer members than "twood's" team. Although the members of team QC are faster, fitter, smarter, more popular, more attractive, and generally better people, pure weight of numbers does count for something. ;)

(Nobody yell at me - that was a JOKE)

so you don't have another nano? at least the newer ones are cheaper than they used to be. but i've read about some problems with nike+ and the new nanos.

i thought my team only has 3 more runners than yours? what can i say, people like me :p

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Friday Update

Here is the updates so far:

For the 2250 Challenge:
2250.JPG

433.88 vs. Pace of 331.97 - Great job - we are well ahead of pace - making up for holiday's ahead of time.

For the run for your Mac:
run4mac.jpg

Teams are unbalanced but in this case it is fine - MacBook is ruling the day. So it appears more folks out there own MacBooks than any other type...The Pro's are not finished yet though.

The TW's vs. the QC's:
TWvsQC.JPG

Very tight indeed, but - the Twoods have 3 more runners than the QCassidy's. So with the 3 man powerplay the Twood's are leading by exactly 7 miles and it appears that QCassidy himself (or actually his iPod) is on the IR so who knows what that will bring. Like the Barry Bonds Baseball and the Patriots undefeated season, will this end with an asterik? Stay tuned...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone is doing a great job, keep it up. If you want to join up, just send me your Nike+ id (case sensative) or email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.