Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
I really would not be surprised if it was a Microsoft / Nokia co-purchase or at least collaboration.

We shall see...

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
This looks incredible, and I'd LOVE to have it!!! It's just too bad it wasn't Apple who bought it. Let's face it guys. Apple isn't going to pay top dollar for anything. They don't NEED to have the "killer feature" in their products. Other companies want/need tech like this far more than Apple, and are thus going to be willing to pay far more for it.

Most of the time when giant companies buy other smaller companies, it's not because they need that technology, it's because they want it in their pockets and are not willing to let their competitor have it. Most of these technology end up in a locker room for the next 50 years.

Recent example: BumpTop acquired by Google and completely disappeared. It was a fantastic project, Google got it before their competitors had it only to be locked away and most likely never used.

Sandman619

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Clearly it's Apple. What other company buys another company, issues no press release, whose executives make no public comments about their acquisitions & simply make the company disappear ? Plus they bought the company outright, including Saab's investment, most likely cash so it doesn't have to be reported

Apple

Cheers !

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You mean like Google navigation software only for Android or their vector based maps only for Android?

Be honest, we all owe Google a lot.

Google earth is a jaw dropping and immense task to achieve, as is street view, sending cars out all around the globe (where they are allowed) to capture images that anyone on the world can enjoy from the PC or Mac.

It's a stunning achievement and something that we'd never have dreamed was even practical to be done a few years ago.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

troop231 said:
Or maybe Google bought them instead of Apple? :confused:

No, Google doesn't care about keeping things secret. I doubt they would go to such extremes...

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Does "the next level" = 3D?

I personally dislike satellite view with google maps -- it's distracting. I can only imagine 3D being even more-so.

For me, yes.

I use the satellite view almost exclusively, along with street view. It gives me a real world preview of where I'm going so I've 'already seen it' before I get there. Helps a lot.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.

We've had a full, textured 3D map of Copenhagen (Denmark) available at krak.dk for quite some time. Play with it here (pretty damn impressive):

http://map.krak.dk/m/a7Ttk

These are both really cool! Fun to look around with.

++
And just a response to the thread:

I personally don't want 3D textured images while I'm driving. I personally prefer a simple view like on my Garmin, or Google Navigation on my phone.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I wish I had an app using this technology for my summer travels. Look forward to the future if apple has gotten a hold of this content!! Google should take note and act quickly.

jriskin

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Maybe it was Nokia..? They already have a pretty cool 3D map thing going! This could be because C3 is the technology behind it, or that Nokia want their tech to incorporate.

Check out: http://maps.nokia.com/3D/

Nokia's 3D maps look a lot better, its pretty obviously a different platform when you look side-by-side. I would say more likely that it's NOT Microsoft given their new partnership with Nokia. My bet would be Google, then Other then Apple in that order.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Funnily enough I've been trying to get C3 to sell the company I work for 3d mapping for weather graphics....

Looks like that wont be happening too soon now :(

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Woah!

PLEASE let this be an Apple's purchase! YES! This would be SO awesome as Apple's default "mapping" system.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Clearly it's Apple. What other company buys another company, issues no press release, whose executives make no public comments about their acquisitions & simply make the company disappear ? Plus they bought the company outright, including Saab's investment, most likely cash so it doesn't have to be reported

Apple

Cheers !

Ya agreed.....this sounds to much like Apple as opposed to MS etc.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
With that thing I do not need to travel.

Seriously, you can see even the dirth on the street.

neech7

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
"We have promised not to say who the buyer is. But there are no Chinese or other Asian companies. It is a company in the Western world..."

That's a sinophobic sentence.

Reminds me of what's illegal but common decades ago: "Hey neighbor, we are selling our house, but don't worry, we won't sell it to colored people"

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden
"We have promised not to say who the buyer is. But there are no Chinese or other Asian companies. It is a company in the Western world..."

That's a sinophobic sentence.

Reminds me of what's illegal but common decades ago: "Hey neighbor, we are selling our house, but don't worry, we won't sell it to colored people"

i'm guessing that was some kind of an attempted joke. very funny. this is just due to the machine translation involved. the proper translation would be

"But it is not a Chinese or (otherwise) Asian company."

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden
i know people have already posted some other examples of c3's tech in use, but anyway. here's the swedish maps/yellow pages site hitta.se's implementation (requires a java applet installation): http://www.hitta.se/LargeMap.aspx?var=turning+torso
just click on "3D". they've been using this for well over 2 years now, and personally, i'm not all that impressed. sure, it looks fine from afar, but zoom in a bit, and it's a tad disturbing. looks more like someone covered the city in cling film and asked monet to paint it.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Fixed that for you...

You know that TomTom and Navigon are major players in the navigation field that could also very much like to use those 3D-maps. Google for their headquarters, if you like...

Though Garmin could also be interested :cool:

Absolutely, I've never heard of Nokia and/or Sony Ericsson.

i'm guessing that was some kind of an attempted joke. very funny. this is just due to the machine translation involved. the proper translation would be

"But it is not a Chinese or (otherwise) Asian company."

Ja, visst!

After living in Stockholm for a while; I'd chalk it up to Swedish humor.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Even though it was only $157+million US this acqujisition would be considered a material fact and would have to be disclosed to shareholders via a press release immediately (assuming the acquirer was a public company). Adds a bit more intrigue to the deal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.