Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I was just about to buy an iPhone, especially with the new 1.1.1 improvements but w/out the 3rd party apps I am really torn. Has anyone heard news about a nullriver update for 1.1.1?

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

That seems to be the best place to look for the latest updates. There is a lot more encrypted stuff in 1.1.1 (mind you, there was encrypted stuff in 1.0, 1.0.1, and 1.0.2, just different, and probably easier as well. They are hard at work on this, and there is an advantage speedwise this time that the community has had 3 months to mature and develop relationships and communication lines. They seem like they are all at once close and far away. Very hard to say. I would strongly expect that as soon as they can jailbreak 1.1.1 the rest--3rd party stuff at least--will come pretty fast. That's total speculation, though.

FoxBJK

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
Chicago, IL
I would strongly expect that as soon as they can jailbreak 1.1.1 the rest--3rd party stuff at least--will come pretty fast. That's total speculation, though.

I'm not for or against third party apps (I like the iPhone as it is, but having iChat and some more games again would be nice), but here's the thing with Apple's lockdown.

Whether or not they encrypted the phone to prevent third party apps is unknown, but my best guess is that Apple still didn't intend to destroy them. They were forced to do something about the SIM unlocks though, because if they ignored that, AT&T could've (and probably would've) sued Apple for breach of contract and would've made a lot of money. Encrypting the code was probably the best way Apple found to prevent SIM unlocking in the future, and the loss of third party apps is an unfortunate side effect.

I'd like to assume that after the holiday season is over and Macworld approaches, pressure will be placed on Apple by the entire market to either open the phone up to third party app development, or be left in the dust by Palm, RIM, Nokia, and Motorola for their exclusion of what is an absolute necessity in Smartphones.

:apple:Mac Pro (2.66 GHz)
:apple:4GB iPhone
:apple:5th and 3rd gen iPod Classic

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I'm not for or against third party apps (I like the iPhone as it is, but having iChat and some more games again would be nice), but here's the thing with Apple's lockdown.

Whether or not they encrypted the phone to prevent third party apps is unknown, but my best guess is that Apple still didn't intend to destroy them. They were forced to do something about the SIM unlocks though, because if they ignored that, AT&T could've (and probably would've) sued Apple for breach of contract and would've made a lot of money. Encrypting the code was probably the best way Apple found to prevent SIM unlocking in the future, and the loss of third party apps is an unfortunate side effect.

I'd like to assume that after the holiday season is over and Macworld approaches, pressure will be placed on Apple by the entire market to either open the phone up to third party app development, or be left in the dust by Palm, RIM, Nokia, and Motorola for their exclusion of what is an absolute necessity in Smartphones.

:apple:Mac Pro (2.66 GHz)
:apple:4GB iPhone
:apple:5th and 3rd gen iPod Classic

I heartily agree, but it's interesting to note that they were using encryption before, and I think it will be very soon that they find a hole in that. What will be truly interesting figuring out if they do some kind of "digital signature verification to run apps. It would surprise me, actually, because I would imagine that would make it near-impossible to use third-party apps but still possible to unlock the phone. But something is telling me that I would think they would have done more than just encrypting more files in a different format. It doesn't even appear they've done something like encryption with the checksum of some portion of it as the key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.