Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterPeepers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Your mom's
Are 3rd party keyboards still not allowed on the lock screen on iOS 10? If not, I would think it's odd since now the lock screen allows for way more interaction...

Are they any more stable?

My current favorite is the Microsoft Flow keyboard...which still crashes a few times a day for me. Things have improved dramatically since iOS 8 but still after 2 years they are still buggy (for me at least).

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Are 3rd party keyboards still not allowed on the lock screen on iOS 10? If not, I would think it's odd since now the lock screen allows for way more interaction...

Are they any more stable?

My current favorite is the Microsoft Flow keyboard...which still crashes a few times a day for me. Things have improved dramatically since iOS 8 but still after 2 years they are still buggy (for me at least).

I believe this was a security concern, as passwords are entered on the lock screen.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Swiftkey is very stable on iOS 10 at least for me. Also was great on 9. They've come a long way.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm so confused...what do you mean to unlock your phone? Isn't it a number keypad that looks like the phone dial pad and not a keyboard at all?

Pass codes can be alphanumeric. Even if they're just numeric it's still a keyboard

MisterPeepers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Your mom's
Pass codes can be alphanumeric. Even if they're just numeric it's still a keyboard

So you are saying that a normal keyboard pops up when you enter a passcode IF you have an alphanumeric passcode? If so it still does not make sense because of this: Apple prohibits 3rd party keyboards from being used in PASSWORD input fields - can't they do the same for entering an alphanumeric passcode from the lockscreen?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
So you are saying that a normal keyboard pops up when you enter a passcode IF you have an alphanumeric passcode? If so it still does not make sense because of this: Apple prohibits 3rd party keyboards from being used in PASSWORD input fields - can't they do the same for entering an alphanumeric passcode from the lockscreen?

They do. The keyboard that comes up for pass codes is always the stock apple (numeric) one. I'm not sure why you think I'm saying otherwise. You asked if the numeric keyboard is "a keyboard at all" and I confirmed it is.

MisterPeepers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Your mom's
They do. The keyboard that comes up for pass codes is always the stock apple (numeric) one. I'm not sure why you think I'm saying otherwise. You asked if the numeric keyboard is "a keyboard at all" and I confirmed it is.

I understand that...what i don't understand is what does the stock Apple keyboard to unlock phone have to do with 3rd party keyboards and using them to quick reply to a text message, for example? Enlighten me. Thank you.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I understand that...what i don't understand is what does the stock Apple keyboard to unlock phone have to do with 3rd party keyboards and using them to quick reply to a text message, for example? Enlighten me. Thank you.

Really no need for attitude. Since I do not work for Apple I am not privy to their decision making process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.