Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
How is that particularly relevant when the OS can? Tell me, how much software do you think is making use of the 4+ cores on your laptop/desktop?

Because a majority of the time you aren't scrolling between home screens, you are using an app. So it is completely relevant.

And I use my desktop (12-core Mac Pro) and laptop (rMBP) mainly for Autodesk Maya and After Effects, which use all available cores. So while most of my apps on here may not take advantage of it, my main programs, the ones that I essentially bought these machines for, use all of the cores perfectly. Hope that answered your question.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Stick with optimising Android to work properly on the phones currently out there rather than building a phone which has the potential to actually run it correctly.

If iOS6 will still work on an iPhone 3GS its not unreasonable to expect the latest Android flavour to work on the HTC Desire, except it won't.

I can see exactly where this trend is going.

Next year Samsung will release a phone with a 6" screen. Fans of Samsung will proclaim that 5" was far too small to do any real work on and that 6" is the perfect size and still fits in trenchcoat pockets so it's still a phone.

The iPhone 5S will look exactly the same as the 5, has faster internals, and perhaps an upgraded camera. Apple fans will go out in droves to buy the latest and greatest from Apple.

In five years time, however, Samsung will release a 32" Galaxy S17 with 64 cores. Fans of Samsung will buy in their droves, proclaiming that last years 24" model was far too small to do any real work and that 32" is the perfect size. It still fits through doors so it's still a phone.

This is the year that Apple announces the iPhone 7S. It's 9" tall and still the same width. Third party trouser manufacturers license the design from Apple to create trousers with pockets on the shins suitable for the 7S.

Google will continue to use LG as the Nexus manufacturer, and integrate Google Goggles with Android. Having long since run out of food terminologies, they moved on to Big Cats. Android 8.4 "Mountain Lion" is released. 8.4.5 is specifically for the Goggles, while 8.4.3 is for phones and 8.4.6 for tablets. The nation becomes awash with Geordi La Forge impersonators talking to themselves on the streets.

Nokia build the Lumia 1000 L and Lumia 1000 R. The L is for left handed people only, and the R is for right handed people. If people buy the wrong phone it is impossible to use or see.

Food is available on the Google Play store, but because it's still "unfiltered", the human race is being brought down with killer illnesses because the "food looked safe" and they ignored the popup telling them that the app was asking for permission to poison them upon first launch.

The App Store also sees changes. Food is available, but only Vegetarian options. This is because Apple's "no nudity" option disallows any.......

Sorry... what were we talking about again?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Meh.

2 problems: is there actually going to be a massive performance boost by going with 8 cores or is Apple's little dual core endeavors going to continue to make everybody else look bad.

And is the rest of the design going to keep up. Lapses in battery designs make bigger issues with bigger tech.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Stick with optimising Android to work properly on the phones currently out there rather than building a phone which has the potential to actually run it correctly.

If iOS6 will still work on an iPhone 3GS its not unreasonable to expect the latest Android flavour to work on the HTC Desire, except it won't.

Next year Samsung will release a phone with a 6" screen. Fans of Samsung will proclaim that 5" was far too small to do any real work on and that 6" is the perfect size and still fits in trenchcoat pockets so it's still a phone.

The iPhone 5S will look exactly the same as the 5, has faster internals, and perhaps an upgraded camera. Apple fans will go out in droves to buy the latest and greatest from Apple.

In five years time, however, Samsung will release a 32" Galaxy S17 with 64 cores. Fans of Samsung will buy in their droves, proclaiming that last years 24" model was far too small to do any real work and that 32" is the perfect size. It still fits through doors so it's still a phone.

This is the year that Apple announces the iPhone 7S. It's 9" tall and still the same width. Third party trouser manufacturers license the design from Apple to create trousers with pockets on the shins suitable for the 7S.

Google will continue to use LG as the Nexus manufacturer, and integrate Google Goggles with Android. Having long since run out of food terminologies, they moved on to Big Cats. Android 8.4 "Mountain Lion" is released. 8.4.5 is specifically for the Goggles, while 8.4.3 is for phones and 8.4.6 for tablets. The nation becomes awash with Geordi La Forge impersonators talking to themselves on the streets.

Nokia build the Lumia 1000 L and Lumia 1000 R. The L is for left handed people only, and the R is for right handed people. If people buy the wrong phone it is impossible to use or see.

Food is available on the Google Play store, but because it's still "unfiltered", the human race is being brought down with killer illnesses because the "food looked safe" and they ignored the popup telling them that the app was asking for permission to poison them upon first launch.

The App Store also sees changes. Food is available, but only Vegetarian options. This is because Apple's "no nudity" option disallows any.......

Well duh.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Absolutely brilliant.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
is there actually going to be a massive performance boost by going with 8 cores

Normally, adding more cores will give rapidly diminishing returns in performance - it is good to have more than 1 or 2 as it helps stop one CPU-greedy App from slowing the whole system down - the most noticeable effect of multicore is to reduce user interface lag. However, beyond that any performance boost depends on individual apps being designed to run as several independent processes so that the work is divided between cores. This is hard. There's also the issue of memory/storage/input/output bandwidth: no use having 8 processes if they all have to wait for access to resources. Generally, I'd say 8-core is pointless unless you are running a server or using high-end media creation software designed for multi-threading - and have fast memory and storage.

However, Samsung's "8-core" is actually using ARM's "big.LITTLE" concept: instead of 8 identical cores it uses 4 low-power A7 cores to do the boring stuff plus 4 more powerful (and hence power-hungry) A15 cores that are only fired up when needed.

So the aim here is not "more cores = better" but to produce a more energy-efficient but still powerful 4 core processor.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Because a majority of the time you aren't scrolling between home screens, you are using an app. So it is completely relevant.

What I mean though is the following:

Suppose applications A and B can make use of two cores each and are running concurrently. Android could assign the two threads of application A to the first two cores and the two threads of application B to the remaining two cores.

Even though no one application is making use of all 4 cores things are still quicker by distributing the load of multiple applications across all 4 cores when required.

Is this not true?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
What I mean though is the following:

Suppose applications A and B can make use of two cores each and are running concurrently. Android could assign the two threads of application A to the first two cores and the two threads of application B to the remaining two cores.

Even though no one application is making use of all 4 cores things are still quicker by distributing the load of multiple applications across all 4 cores when required.

Is this not true?

In theory that would be ideal. But having two apps both use two cores is dependent upon the app being able to use multiple cores in the first place. And most apps just aren't optimized for multiple cores.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That's awesome if true! Push the limits Samsung.

You know what I want? I want Google to work on the software and make Android more optimized and faster. So while hardware is getting more powerful, the software is getting lighter, more functional and more optimized, requiring less resources... Double Impact!

Google should also seriously consider adding a desktop mode in Android. Like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIXE9LCNhcA

With all that power, a phone could really replace a computer for an average consumer. And it would also light some serious fire under Microsoft and even Apple.

Maybe but for me, i much prefer to browse a forum on my desktop PC or on a laptop than on my phone. Just much easier to do everything imo. Especially on the desktop PC. I love having a desktop at home.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Maybe but for me, i much prefer to browse a forum on my desktop PC or on a laptop than on my phone. Just much easier to do everything imo. Especially on the desktop PC. I love having a desktop at home.

I was talking about your phone providing you with the desktop experience, not just Android stretched across a monitor.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Personally I don't see how Samsung is going to offer a quad-core a15 when their duo-core a15 is faster than their quad a9.

I think there will be a BIG.little duo core A15 first, before there is a quad.

The quad might be introduced when the note 10.1 comes to a refresh....really doubt that the GS4 will have it.

Take a look at how good the nexus 10 performs with the duos A15, and that is running at some mad high res.

In theory that would be ideal. But having two apps both use two cores is dependent upon the app being able to use multiple cores in the first place. And most apps just aren't optimized for multiple cores.

So does that mean you could run four apps that don't use multiple cores?

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
That's always been the argument for the apple app store.. :rolleyes: :p

Except its really indisputable how much trash is on the android store. Not even debatable, apple at least reviews all app submissions. Google store is filled with viruses apps and ones that cant even open.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
8 cores is not needed.

I just wish OEMs and Google would take the time to make the UI lag-free and smooth, instead of just adding more cores and RAM.

Even with a dual-core 1.5 ghz S4 and 2gb of RAM, my S3 lags all the time. My iPhone 5? Basically never.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
8 cores is not needed.

I just wish OEMs and Google would take the time to make the UI lag-free and smooth, instead of just adding more cores and RAM.

Even with a dual-core 1.5 ghz S4 and 2gb of RAM, my S3 lags all the time. My iPhone 5? Basically never.

Then you haven't use the Apple App Store.....more lag than the post office.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
8 cores is not needed.

Maybe it is , maybe it isnt. Maybe it is a good thing as far as battery life. I sure dont know and surely neither do you.
That is a typical iFan response you made there. And funny, my GS3 doesnt lag at all.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Except its really indisputable how much trash is on the android store. Not even debatable, apple at least reviews all app submissions. Google store is filled with viruses apps and ones that cant even open.

Except you can't link a single app that has a "virus" on the play store can you? Shouldn't be hard if its overflowing with viruses....

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That is a typical iFan response you made there. And funny, my GS3 doesnt lag at all.

It might be my ROM. I've been using this 4.1.2 AOKP rom until AT&T gets off their ass and releases JB for the S3.

That being said, the S3 does lag. Good example of the messaging app. Long threads lag after a couple hundred texts. iOS doesn't have these issues. This happened on the stock rom also.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It might be my ROM. I've been using this 4.1.2 AOKP rom until AT&T gets off their ass and releases JB for the S3.

That being said, the S3 does lag. Good example of the messaging app. Long threads lag after a couple hundred texts. iOS doesn't have these issues. This happened on the stock rom also.

Not sure about the 5 but my 4S lags quite often. App store is most noticeable but the message app will do it especially when attaching photos....not a constant problem but its there frequently enough to notice it...

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Except you can't link a single app that has a "virus" on the play store can you? Shouldn't be hard if its overflowing with viruses....

Hmmm let me look for one called "virus". Oh wait which developer would be stupid enough to make an app called virus instead of just put one in it. If you like i can link you 10 articles about virus' in apps on the play store. Furthermore http://ziklagsystems.wordpress.com/...bad-android-apps-downloaded-from-google-play/

Seriously the quality of apps is absolute rubbish on the play store. Probably only half of them are at the same quality of IOS apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.