Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
My apologies, I thought Apple was the first to come out with such a high density screen. I never saw companies bragging about the ppi element of the screen before Apple came out with the retina display.

I seem to recall a magazine ad bragging about those phones being the first with a "print quality" screen, but most people would never have paid attention back then.

The 2007 Toshiba G900 also had 3G HSDPA, WiFi, Opera browser, MS Office, a front-facing camera for video calls, and ... a fingerprint reader.

The fingerprint reader wasn't just for security. It could also be used as an alternative mouse pad for quick vertical scrolling on the web or lists.

Perhaps coolest (and weirdest) of all, you could use it as a fingerprint based app launcher, assigning different apps to different fingers!

Then again, I wasn't really interested in smartphones until the first iPhone came out, so it makes sense I'd be ignorant to stuff that existed around that time!

You're very gracious.

It's actually helpful that smartphone "newcomers" post such mistaken concepts now and again, because it provides a good opportunity to bring up history that might otherwise be forgotten.

Other misconceptions include ideas that that all other phones had keyboards, that Apple invented touchscreen phones, pinch zoom, apps or app stores or even the word "app", that Apple was the first to use Google Maps, and so many other things.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
While very impressive, a 1080p display on a smartphone is quite ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.