Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Are you sure about that? If it did then none of these workarounds would be necessary.

Yes, I'm sure. I used unlockit.co.nz and it worked. I am jailbroken, but I don't think you have to be to be jailbroken.

Just try it to see if it works. Make sure cellular data is on (either EDGE or 3G).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, I'm sure. I used unlockit.co.nz and it worked. I am jailbroken, but I don't think you have to be to be jailbroken.

Just try it to see if it works. Make sure cellular data is on (either EDGE or 3G).

Already did that. Unlocking helped with the data, but still no MMS capabilities.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
How's the service, Chest? And what city are you in?

The service is great, I'm in Miami, FL and AT&T has real good reception and service here, so since ST is an MVNO of AT&T I get pretty much the same service quality.

I have noticed the Internet is just a little slower then when I was on at&t, but for the price it is priceless.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Sunsean don't forget to get a inactivated globule SIM for the MMS fix.

Thanks again, but from what others have said I am not sure this will work for me as I have the original iPhone 4, without the S. seems like the various iPhone models have different mms quirks...

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when my sim comes! Just hope the # port from T-Mobile goes smoothly.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Good to hear. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger soon. I'm in NY though.

Are there any NY users that can chime in on the service in the area?

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Good to hear. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger soon. I'm in NY though.

Are there any NY users that can chime in on the service in the area?

I'll post my results after a week or two with the SIM. I live in Brooklyn but am in Manhattan almost every day so I will test it whenever I can. Unfortunately, my first week of use will be in CA as I'm heading there tue morning.

But while I've been waiting for the ST sim, I have prepaid ATT sim that has been in my iphone the past couple of weeks. It's voice/text only, no data, so can't do an official speed test, but the phone seems to have constant ATT coverage all over the city as far as I can tell, so hopefully that will translate into decent data speeds.

With my old TMO phone I didn't get reception in my underground gym. With the iphone, I do, though it's weak. That impressed me.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'll post my results after a week or two with the SIM. I live in Brooklyn but am in Manhattan almost every day so I will test it whenever I can. Unfortunately, my first week of use will be in CA as I'm heading there tue morning.

But while I've been waiting for the ST sim, I have prepaid ATT sim that has been in my iphone the past couple of weeks. It's voice/text only, no data, so can't do an official speed test, but the phone seems to have constant ATT coverage all over the city as far as I can tell, so hopefully that will translate into decent data speeds.

With my old TMO phone I didn't get reception in my underground gym. With the iphone, I do, though it's weak. That impressed me.

Sunsean, looking forward to your results! Thanks.

----------

No problems in Brooklyn/Manhattan a friend of mine has it.

Promising!

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Well, just got the SIM! :) Called ST to activate and port my number over from T-Mobile. Did it over the phone instead of online because supposedly it's supposed to go through quicker. Anyway, I was told it could take anywhere from a few hours to 2 business days. I'm just supposed to wait until my old t-mobile phone stops working and then turn on my iphone with the ST sim. So...just waiting at this point lol. Hope it happens soon, I want to go around NYC a bit to test the signal today before I fly out tomorrow.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
FYI - I am up on running on the new ST iphone. Voice/texts/data all seem to be working. Have to say, initial speed test on ST 3g was far slower than my previous T-Mobile 4g (HSPA+), but I guess that's to be expected. Will be on wifi whenever I'm home anyway. About to head into Manhattan to test the speeds, will let you guys know later.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Please Sunsean attempt to do the MMS fix using your inactivated tmobile SIM and let us all know. I know you have 3GS right or a 4? My MMS fix (hot swaping the SIMs) worked on my 4S. Please let us know if it works for you.

Ps: post a speedtest using the FCC speed test app.

Ps2: the speeds I'm getting using the FCC app.
a6d8821d-0b5c-c8f9.jpg

Last edited:

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Please Sunsean attempt to do the MMS fix using your inactivated tmobile SIM and let us all know. I know you have 3GS right or a 4? My MMS fix (hot swaping the SIMs) worked on my 4S. Please let us know if it works for you.

Ps: post a speedtest using the FCC speed test app.

Ps2: the speeds I'm getting using the FCC app. Image

Hey Chestvrg, I will try the mms fix - but can you or anyone else please confirm that if it doesn't work, no harm will be done...? I don't want it to backfire and screw the phone/sim up :-/ Oh, and yes - I have the original iphone 4 (no s)

Also - happy to report that once I left my apartment in Brooklyn, started seeing much better speeds using speedtest.net. Averaged about 5-6 mb/s down over a few tests I ran around Manhattan, and even just down the street in Brooklyn.

Also - the battery has been dying much quicker on the ST sim that it had been on my prepaid go phone ATT sim. This is probably due to the fact that on the go phone sim I wasn't using data, just voice/text, while on the ST sim I've been actively using the 3g data. But on the go phone sim I went about 3 days with wifi use, 2 short phone calls, and music playing. On first day with the ST sim, it's gone from 100 to 63% in a little over 5 hours. I see why people complain about the iphone battery life now lol...hopefully it will improve, or I'll have to get one of those juice pack cases.

Oh, last thing for now - but in those 5-6 hours, I have used 40MB of data. This was used by loading a few web pages (I'd say about 5), downloading a 17MB app from the app store, checking email a couple times, using the app Flipboard for about 10 minutes (a news app), and running a few speed tests. So if there really is a 100MB/day limit they watch for, I can see hitting that in an average 12-16 hour day. Definitely going to use wifi whenever possible.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Hello Sunsean I don't think the MMS fix will damage anything because you can always do the swap and change those settings to anything else, whether it is AT&T, H2O or ST Settings.

Wow, your battery is burning fast, I have a juice pack I got from eBay for like $65 and it is the juice pack plus and it's like 2000mAh so your iPhone can last you longer.

I see how fast data is used, I don't even know how to monitor my data usage on ST, how did you do it.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Hello Sunsean I don't think the MMS fix will damage anything because you can always do the swap and change those settings to anything else, whether it is AT&T, H2O or ST Settings.

Wow, your battery is burning fast, I have a juice pack I got from eBay for like $65 and it is the juice pack plus and it's like 2000mAh so your iPhone can last you longer.

I see how fast data is used, I don't even know how to monitor my data usage on ST, how did you do it.

Yeah, its my first day with ST service on the iphone, so I'll give it a couple weeks before rushing out to buy a battery case. I like the functionality of those things, but I don't want to get one unless I have to as they add a good deal of bulk to the phone, and I like to keep it compact. But if the battery keeps dying quickly, I may have no choice.

Re: data monitoring - go into 'settings', then 'general', then 'usage', then 'cellular usage.' It should show you Cellular Network Data 'sent' and 'received.'

PS I was just about to try the t-mobile SIM trick when I realized that my old t-mobile SIM is the full-size. I will need to find a tutorial to cut it down to micro-SIM size...will it still work this way you think?

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Also - the battery has been dying much quicker on the ST sim that it had been on my prepaid go phone ATT sim. This is probably due to the fact that on the go phone sim I wasn't using data, just voice/text, while on the ST sim I've been actively using the 3g data. But on the go phone sim I went about 3 days with wifi use, 2 short phone calls, and music playing. On first day with the ST sim, it's gone from 100 to 63% in a little over 5 hours. I see why people complain about the iphone battery life now lol...hopefully it will improve, or I'll have to get one of those juice pack cases.

It's definitely the cellular data chewing up the battery.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, its my first day with ST service on the iphone, so I'll give it a couple weeks before rushing out to buy a battery case. I like the functionality of those things, but I don't want to get one unless I have to as they add a good deal of bulk to the phone, and I like to keep it compact. But if the battery keeps dying quickly, I may have no choice.

Re: data monitoring - go into 'settings', then 'general', then 'usage', then 'cellular usage.' It should show you Cellular Network Data 'sent' and 'received.'

PS I was just about to try the t-mobile SIM trick when I realized that my old t-mobile SIM is the full-size. I will need to find a tutorial to cut it down to micro-SIM size...will it still work this way you think?

Thank you for clarifying how to check data usage. I still had data used from when I had AT&T, like 8GB received and outgoing so I had to reset statistics.

PS: for the full SIM card, you need a SIM cutter, I have one so I just cut them. Check on Craigslist to see who sells a SIM card cutter near your area in NY ok. Yes it should work without any problem.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Sunsean can you please let us know if you were able to apply the MMS fix swapping the tmobile SIM swap. ?

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Sunsean can you please let us know if you were able to apply the MMS fix swapping the tmobile SIM swap. ?

Unfortunately it will be a while before I can try. Just flew into CA and left my tmobile sim back in NY :/ Good news is the phone is otherwise working really well! Posting this from my iPhone on ST from Long Beach :)

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I'm happy the service is working good. My service is also working good here in Miami, Florida.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Question: On their website, they seem to differentiate between ATT and Tmobile activation.

If I have an unlocked iPhone, I assume I'd go with ATT to get the micro SIM right? (I have a Tmo number but want to get a new number anyway).

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Question: On their website, they seem to differentiate between ATT and Tmobile activation.

If I have an unlocked iPhone, I assume I'd go with ATT to get the micro SIM right? (I have a Tmo number but want to get a new number anyway).

Right. The normal/micro sim choice comes after you choose the carrier.

MACedonian1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Columbus
Well I bought an iPhone 4, ported my number over from Virgin Mobile a few week ago and it has been great. Full signal at work where there was marginal signal at best before.

I used unlockit and I had MMS in the beginning, but now I can only send pics to my iPhone only contacts..

Looks like the T-Mobile swap trick won't work for me, should I just jailbreak untethered 5.1 then to restore MMS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.