Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
hi,

i have a 40gb 4G ipod photo. my girlfriend bought it for me just after they came out in december 2005. it certainly hasn't been without its issues, but its been all right up until recently.

there has been a problem i've had for as long as i can remember, where the ipod does not correctly report the amount of free disk space. it constantly says about 23gb is being used no matter how much music i add. software updates have not fixed this (i have the latest firmware).

recently it has started suffering heavily from "orphaned tracks". particularly when i add new albums, but last night i tried to play an album that had been on there for ages and it just kep skipping through all the tracks unable to find them. could this be caused by an overloaded ipod hard drive? as you can imagine with close to 40GB worth of music on there, i am not keen to format and copy it all back again, but it maybe my only option.

something similar happened about 18 months ago. i took the ipod to a party, spent ages making a whole bunch of playlists etc, and at some point during the party it just stopped working and couldnt find any of the tracks. it definitely wasn't full at that time. the result was i ended up formatting and starting again.

some of these tracks are going missing after they have been played on the ipod, so its not like it is an issue with itunes not copying tracks across properly.

seems like the ipod just needs some scheduled maintenance every few months to wipe it all and start again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.