Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Here in NYC i've seen 4G speeds decrease about 10 - 15% since the lauch of the iphone5 in September. Seems as though with the dramatic increase in users the speed has not been as good. By the way this is in many places in NYC not just one location. Anyone else notice this?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Not surprising. I remember when it was near impossible for people to use 3G in any densely populated area (LA, Chicago, New York etc.) maybe it still is but I'd imagine infrastructure has gotten a lot better.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Here in NYC i've seen 4G speeds decrease about 10 - 15% since the lauch of the iphone5 in September. Seems as though with the dramatic increase in users the speed has not been as good. By the way this is in many places in NYC not just one location. Anyone else notice this?

I've also seen an apparent speed decrease in NYC. I used to regularly get speeds over 40Mps with some over 50Mps on my 3rd gen iPad prior to the release of the iPhone 5. Now, the top end is usually around 22Mps with 12-15Mps being average. Still, quite fast enough but a noticeable change.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Overtime LTE will eventually be a steady 10 mbps download and upload with low ms just about everywhere and in certain spots speeds of up too 30+ mbps but it all depends on the time of day for faster/slower speeds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.