Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Not that I believe the rumor, but the phone being LTE only will simply mean that there's one version between the AT&T and verizon phones that supports CDMA and GSM networks. Instead, there will be a CDMA/LTE phone and a GSM 3G phone. Thus, AT&T's LTE network being infantile/non-existent throws a wrench in that.

That being said, I highly doubt an early 2011 verizon iphone. LTE, doubly so. If it's coming for Verizon, it will be unveiled/launch the same time as the AT&T iphone 5.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
We can all dream right? I hope to god this is true. I need better service. To me, it'd be worth the $200 termination fee...

If you really needed better service, you wouldn't be using an iPhone on ATT.

I'm getting really tired of reading "iPhone on Verizon 4G after Christmas!" rumors on here. WHy is it that every time someone says "Oh, I've heard the iPhone's coming to Verizon in January," MacRumors puts it on the front page or Page 2? Are enough people so totally obsessed with the iPhone, they pee their pants if they don't hear a Verizon iPhone rumor every day/every other day?

Where would you have MacRumors put it? Why do you think of others peeing their pants?

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Please

Apple is not going to waste their time making a 4G phone for a network that is literally 35 grains of sand tossed out on to the US map.

There is way too much hardware development, patent fees, marketing costs and other things to consider. Apple would not go through all those costs just for a measly 4G LTE network.

This news is bogus.

Take a look for yourself: http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/verizon-lte-markets.jpg

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Where would you have MacRumors put it? Why do you think of others peeing their pants?

How about not even putting it up on the site? My question was why do they have to have a new article for every time someone says that?

As for peeing pants, ok, maybe people aren't peeing their pants. But obviously people care enough to post these this rumor every time another site posts the rumor. I'm just tired of seeing dozens of new articles about this place or that place saying "iPhone on Verizon after Christmas!" Ok, I get it! People expect a Verizon iPhone. Get over it. This is kinda like the Beatles on iTunes, or people talking for months that Michael Jackson died, etc.

Anyone know a good news site that says what has happened and then move on to the next news item? If this is all that MacRumors is going to post, I think it may be time to say goodbye to MacRumors. Just tired of seeing the same rumors repeated over & over again.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Verizon after the 1st of the year... Yes!

4G... No.

Other carriers... Yes!

I just don't see Apple changing all that much other than supporting CMDA in the iPhone 4.... IP 5.0... thats a different story. Verizon only... I think Apple needs all the carriers in the US now... the limited days need to end and this would give the iPhone 5 a great launch pad to a HUGE success. Sort of like most of Apple's products now. :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
How about not even putting it up on the site? My question was why do they have to have a new article for every time someone says that?

As for peeing pants, ok, maybe people aren't peeing their pants. But obviously people care enough to post these this rumor every time another site posts the rumor. I'm just tired of seeing dozens of new articles about this place or that place saying "iPhone on Verizon after Christmas!" Ok, I get it! People expect a Verizon iPhone. Get over it. This is kinda like the Beatles on iTunes, or people talking for months that Michael Jackson died, etc.

Anyone know a good news site that says what has happened and then move on to the next news item? If this is all that MacRumors is going to post, I think it may be time to say goodbye to MacRumors. Just tired of seeing the same rumors repeated over & over again.

See, the thing about rumors is you don't make them up, you can only publish what you're given or what others put on their site. If MR didn't publish it, they'd get **** for that too.

I'm as tired of the Verizon iPhone rumors as anyone but can't we all agree it's fun to read the fanboys responses?

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
still cant belive people are saying no way I bet If jobs did a keynote today saying you would still have people saying its a lie :D I dont think it will be after christmas but more so CES remeber Verizon CEO is going to Keynote there event.

Last edited:

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Y would they make a verizon iPhone before July when they come out with a new one anyway. It's stupid I'm shure that they will come out with one when they always come out with them in JULY. They will make more money (maybe) if they do what they always do, unless apple is becoming like the driods and make a new one every month. Whatever the case may be this verizon rumor is getting pushed back and back

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
The report also claims that the Verizon iPhone is already shipping to Verizon warehouses, and the carrier will maintain control over all stock until launch in order to control information leaks.

The idea of Verizon (or any operator) controlling information leaks seems a little implausible to me -- BoyGeniusReport often publishes leaked screenshots from operators, for example.

That said, there seems to be growing consensus that the Verizon iPhone is coming -- and coming soon!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I just don't see Apple creating a situation where they're going to have 2 separate refresh dates for the iPhone. Whatever they do, they're going to make it so they refresh ALL of their iPhones around June of every year. Otherwise they're going to put one of the carriers at a distinct disadvantage because Verizon will have the latest technology for up to 6 months before it goes to ATT--which will hurt apple sales overall.

Actually I think this is what might happen, eventually. But rather than AT&T getting the same spec iPhone "A" 6 months later, they will get the "B" with some improvements, then the next year Verizon gets the "C" 6 months after that and so on... Where they will just keep leap frogging each other. I think the market is moving too fast for Apple to continue with just yearly updates.

emoeric

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
actually i think this is what might happen, eventually. But rather than at&t getting the same spec iphone "a" 6 months later, they will get the "b" with some improvements, then the next year verizon gets the "c" 6 months after that and so on... Where they will just keep leap frogging each other. I think the market is moving too fast for apple to continue with just yearly updates.

^ this.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

Right. One of the problems people have when they try to predict what Apple might do is they assume the past = the future. "Oh, Apple only does yearly updates, so this rumor is impossible." Well, Apple does what it does . . . until it doesn't. They don't do books, but now they do. They don't do movies, but now they do, etc.

Apple is not a MacRumors poster stubbornly sticking to the only thing they know. Apple changes as market conditions change. If they think they can increase profitability and market share by making semi-yearly phone updates, they are going to switch to semi-yearly phone updates. Simple as that.

So a Q1 2011 Verizon phone is quite possible.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Jibber jabber

We've all be wrong before.

its interesting that Fortune picked up the story as well. The internet is the new home of the written truth.

It would be cool if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

emoeric

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
Right. One of the problems people have when they try to predict what Apple might do is they assume the past = the future. "Oh, Apple only does yearly updates, so this rumor is impossible." Well, Apple does what it does . . . until it doesn't. They don't do books, but now they do. They don't do movies, but now they do, etc.

Apple is not a MacRumors poster stubbornly sticking to the only thing they know. Apple changes as market conditions change. If they think they can increase profitability and market share by making semi-yearly phone updates, they are going to switch to semi-yearly phone updates. Simple as that.

So a Q1 2011 Verizon phone is quite possible.

The thing I believe we can agree on as well is the fact that LTE is not coming to iphone until atleast 2012. It's way too early of a technology for them to adopt it. I'll agree with your points but counter your general hypothesis with one side note: no LTE until 2012.

jz1492

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2005
There are two powerful reasons for Verizon to push for an LTE/CDMA iPhone at this time:

1) Fear of the iPhone data hogs. What better way to avoid saturation in large cities than to channel iPhone users to their highest-BW unused spectrum.

2) Voice + Data. After so much pressure from AT&T and Apple's marketing in this regard, there is no way the new Verizon's iPhone could be introduced successfully without top notch V+D functionality. CDMA is a no go, even with the latest upgrade.

On the other hand, this could be a false rumor slipped by the competition to hurt Christmas time sales of the iPhone 4.

Last edited:

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
On your first point: It is also the company that came out with the iphone 4 and its antenna problems.

Your second point: Don't you think Verizon would take the oppurtunity to give apple what they really want over the Android phones: The first 4g phone on Verizon network. That would be a huge advantage. Just because the network isnt fully up yet doesn't mean Verizon couldn't have given apple the tech to make a 4g iphone. Verizon see android phone sales dropping and know that an iphone would boost sales by a huge amount.

Your third point: It would only be one chip, read the article for reference. How do you know how much battery it uses? It may be only a small amount more than 3g. Att's 3g sucked when the 3g iphone came out. It still sucks. Don't underestimate apple and verizon. You may be surprised!

Edit: By no means am a I acknowledging the merit or lack there of of this article

What iPhone 4 Antenna Problem?

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
I'm getting really tired of reading "iPhone on Verizon 4G after Christmas!" rumors on here. WHy is it that every time someone says "Oh, I've heard the iPhone's coming to Verizon in January," MacRumors puts it on the front page or Page 2? Are enough people so totally obsessed with the iPhone, they pee their pants if they don't hear a Verizon iPhone rumor every day/every other day?

Yes.

jp102235

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
western us
implications for ipad?

If this rumor is true (I am leaning towards its truth) - what implications does it have for the ipad LTE ? Does the recent adoption of ipad in the verizon stores mean there will be a double whammy LTE introduction of ipad/iphone LTE editions - that could really wollup the competition - should be interesting.

jp

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
I'm not buying it (either in terms of the story, or in terms of a supposed hybrid phone if it does make it to market).

The baseband chipsets don't exist as mass market components (either in supply or feature set).

If they did, they'd suck down battery faster than you could keep the damn thing charged. I think it is pretty clear where Apple plays - technology that is applicable, relevant, and usable.

I don't think 4G is there yet, unless Qualcomm et al are hiding some major hybrid CDMA/LTE chipsets (the LTE-only chipsets themselves are power hogs - why do you think VZW hasn't rolled out handsets, they've limited 4G use to people hooking USB cards into a 3000mAh battery that can feed that 500mAh - 1000mAh draw).

Battery technology is getting better, and the chipsets are getting better, but not in time for a device in January. Maybe I'll eat crow, but I doubt it. If this happens (and it might), it's not going to be a great device that everyone is expecting (read: keep the 4G radio off and use it as a CDMA iPhone 4) or it's simply not going to exist. It's possible VZW needed a retort to ATT's simultaneous voice & data ploy so they included it to check that off the list and the phone will stick to EVDO for nearly everything...but the EVDO<->LTE carrier handoff isn't transparent (far worse than EDGE<->3G), so that is a usability issue in and of itself that I think Apple would not like.

MacDailyNews reports that it has received information from a "source that we believe to be credible" regarding management training for the Verizon iPhone offered by the company last week. According to the report, the Verizon iPhone will launch immediately after Christmas and is in fact an LTE 4G device.The report also claims that the Verizon iPhone is already shipping to Verizon warehouses, and the carrier will maintain control over all stock until launch in order to control information leaks.

Finally, the source indicates that the iPhone 5 was intended to be LTE-only at its debut next summer, but Steve Jobs and Apple are upset that the carriers are not building out their LTE infrastructure quickly enough to make that happen.

Verizon's 4G network launched last week for mobile broadband customers, but the carrier noted that it does not expect to debut 4G-capable handsets until the middle of next year.

MacDailyNews is not a frequent source of rumors, and has a mixed record on the information it has published in the past. In addition, we are skeptical that Apple had ever seriously planned for the fifth-generation iPhone 5 to be "LTE-only", given that even the most aggressive LTE build-out schedules from the carriers have long planned for it to be several years before their entire networks are upgraded to the standard. In fact, other sources have indicated that the fifth-generation iPhone won't support LTE at all, a move which would follow Apple's precedent with not supporting 3G in the original iPhone as it waited for greater availability and more advanced technology for utilizing the standard.

Consequently, we are publishing this rumor on Page 2 for interest and discussion.

Article Link: 4G Verizon iPhone to Debut After Christmas?

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area

Yeah I think its time for you to say goodbye....whats wrong with talking about Michael Jackson dying? He was a great, and just because he died didnt mean his music and fans did...everyone that wants the VZW iPhone are going to read the articles that talks about it...if you dont care about this, then dont move your hand and click on the link about this. Sick of people like you.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
need more than a grain of salt for this. These rumours come and go all the time. I doubt it will happen. In the summer? yes, but not now

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I can see apple releasing a verizon iPhone in january. It may or may not be upgraded or better in any way from the current iPhone 4. It does make sense for them to produce an iPhone 4V or iPhone 4.5 type of thing and then update both the CDMA and gsm versions in June or July and bring every model current with themselves with the iPhone 5. I doubt it will be LTE/4G but I bet it will come with a few other feature. Antennae issue will definitely be gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.