Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fener

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
Sources confirmed a July 19th release of NEW, thinner, 4G iPods.

The new iPods will use the same, however a thinner enclosure.

Source: Thinksecret

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
fener said:

Hmm, this might make some sense...

I ordered a PB 15" BTO with a 40GB iPod and other peripherals on July 9th. Hasn't been shipping for over a week despite the worst of them quoting a 3-5 day shipping date (I had them ship it all together since I had an upcoming midterm and didn't want any distractions). The shipping date has stayed constant as on or before July 20th. Now I'm wondering if they were filling the existing orders with current iPod stock and now I have to wait for the new enclosure.

I'm probably completely wrong but a guy can dream...:)

seebol

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2004
ok, so if the new "sleeker" models are going to be priced lower, then the current models will also have to be lowered in price, right?

so if I wait a little longer, maybe I can get an ipod for practically free with cram and jam!

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
seebol said:
ok, so if the new "sleeker" models are going to be priced lower, then the current models will also have to be lowered in price, right?

so if I wait a little longer, maybe I can get an ipod for practically free with cram and jam!

Not if they don't have the old iPods anymore. They may have been using Cram and Jam to deplete the stock and now since there aren't any old iPods they can announce the new ones....

rapps

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2004
How can they discontinue the cram and jam?? It says it is valid for any ipod, except the mini and it expires on 9/25.

It wouldn't work if the ipod was not a 15, 20, or 40GB model.....so maybe the new ones are different capacity?

I guess we'll see on Monday :)

rapps

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2004
fener said:

The article mentions an "announcement" on July 19th....NOT a release on Monday. Am I missing something??

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I doubt they will discontinue Cram and Jam. It is however possible that the new iPods may add the 60GB version that everyone knows is coming, which would not be a part of Cram and Jam. It is also possible that this will be the end of the 15 GB iPod. Of course this is all speculation.

Whatever they do the terms of the Cram and Jam promotion will still apply. Provided that the new iPod is the proper capacity to match the promotion.

TheSporky

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2004
Hello, I was planning on purchasing an IPOD Mini, but in light of this information I've decided to wait for a short while. Will the release of this new IPOD affect the price of the minis at all? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.