Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Re: Re: hmmmmmm future dude!

Originally posted by Codemonkey
That movie's technology was a little weird actually. Did you also happen to notice their use of "SneakerNet" in quite a few of the scenes where they were navigating through the future?

Like, you'd think with all their gadgetry they'd not have to copy things to disc and walk it over to a computer not 5 feet away. :p

Hhaha, so true. Our bluetooth nowdays is more powerful than the minority report's tech :p

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Everyone who claimed the Mini-iPod would be a failure was...

wrong!

At least for now, according to USA Today they are almost sold out. So admit you were wrong.

Just wanted to point that out.

USA Today

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
hulugu said:
wrong!

At least for now, according to USA Today they are almost sold out. So admit you were wrong.

Just wanted to point that out.

USA Today

This shouldn't come as a huge surprise though. The same people syaing the iPod mini would be a failure were the same people questioning the initial introduction of the original iPod as well. Some people just don't see the big picture, and focus in on little details such as the "4 GB vs. 15 GB for $50 more" argument. The public has spoken, and the iPod mini is a big success - just as I knew it would be and said it would be from the get-go.

Okay, I've said my "told ya so!" as well now, so I'm done. ;)

crazyonskis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2004
Those iPod minis look so cool! When it comes out in Canada in April I hope to get a silver one. I just don't know if I can wait that long!

:D

awesomebase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Maryland
iPod Mini not yet a success..

I beg to differ on the claims that iPod mini is a success. Not that I do not think that it is selling well, I agree that it is. But my point in this is that it was intended to take over the flash-based mp3 market and I don't think it has done that at all. In fact, I expect that when the numbers come out for this quarter, there is going to be a significant drop in the momentum of regular iPod sales (which is a higher revenue product).
It looks to me like Apple is making the same mistake that Nissan did with the Altima. When Nissan brought the new Altima out, they expected it to take away business from the Accord and Camry. Instead, their Maxima sales tanked. Why? Because in the eyes of the consumer it wasn't a "different" vehicle and it was easily $6K - $10K less.
So, lets see if the iPod can maintain its incredible growth over the last 3 quarters now that the iPod mini is selling. I'm no statistician, but I'm willing to bet that a significant number of would-be iPod buyers opted for the slightly cheaper iPod mini instead. However, if we see that flash-based mp3 players have taken a hit and the iPod is still climbing rapidly in sales, then yes, I would agree that the iPod mini is a success because then it would have accomplished what Apple said it would. Otherwise, money is just moving from one component to another and Apple's bank account isn't getting any fatter.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
awesomebase said:
I beg to differ on the claims that iPod mini is a success. ... my point in this is that it was intended to take over the flash-based mp3 market and I don't think it has done that at all.

Since the iPod mini was just released, how could it have possibly taken over the flash-based MP3 market yet? I think judging the iPod mini's success on such a factor is unfair at this stage of the game. I think it is fair to use the early volume of sales to be a fair indicator of things to come though, which is what the above posters have been referencing. Only time will tell though.

awesomebase said:
So, lets see if the iPod can maintain its incredible growth over the last 3 quarters now that the iPod mini is selling. I'm no statistician, but I'm willing to bet that a significant number of would-be iPod buyers opted for the slightly cheaper iPod mini instead. However, if we see that flash-based mp3 players have taken a hit and the iPod is still climbing rapidly in sales, then yes, I would agree that the iPod mini is a success because then it would have accomplished what Apple said it would.

Kay, now I agree with this - let's give it time to see how the iPod mini sales impact the flash-based MP3 market. You can't judge the iPod mini's success on a factor like share of the market just yet. However you do realize you just contradicted your own statements right? ;) Regardless, yes, perhaps the mini can't be called a success yet when it comes to market share, however I woiuld sltil stay it is a success overall.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The Post That Wasn't?

Interesting - I received an e-mail notice that a new post was created in this thread, and it isn't even here now. I then looked back at my e-mail, read what the post consisted of, and it was some loser trying to use the MacRumors site as a spamming grounds in a shameless, pathetic and painfully obvious attempt to try and sell his e-bay merchandise! His username is rylow, just so everyone knows. When it comes to the rules of the forum, I guess some people don't know how to read...

Anyway, I send out my congrats to the moderators in these forums - they don't let anything get by them, and rectify situations like this with lightning fast reflexes! Of all the different forums I've been on, I have to say that MR is definitely one of the best run ones I've come across.

(Now hopefully my post is allowed to remain here since it's rather off-topic... ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.