Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Hi guys,
yes i know this has been asked and answered over and over again and i am really sorry for asking again but it's a little different than most of the cases I I've read through.
I want to buy an MBA and found the base model at 850 euro at a local store(link if someone is interested) in Germany and the 8 GB at the usual apple store price of 1100 euro.
I'll be doing just some school work(word, power point), light coding for IT class (in java), and day to day things like web browsing, listening to music watch some videos nothing too fancy especially no video editing or music creation. Might try out some photo editing but it' rather unlikely.
So do you think it's worth to shell out the 250 euro for the extra 4 GB of ram?
Again sorry for asking this again but i haven' found anything similar to my situation.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
OS X takes less space than Windows, although Windows still works fine with 4GB too.

People just see that there are a lot of 8GB laptops on the market, so they think half as much isn't enough. It has nothing to do with what the laptop is used for, just what's available to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
For your uses, 4GB is enough.

8GB upgrade isn't a rip off but the upgrade cost could be a bit cheaper but hey, it's Apple. It depends on how people use their MacBooks, in my case, 4GB isn't enough, I run couple of VMs, I edit photos occasionally and I have quite few software running at the same time.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
For your uses, 4GB is enough.

8GB upgrade isn't a rip off but the upgrade cost could be a bit cheaper but hey, it's Apple. It depends on how people use their MacBooks, in my case, 4GB isn't enough, I run couple of VMs, I edit photos occasionally and I have quite few software running at the same time.
250€ ~ 300$ for 4gb is a rip-off
For VMs more ram is always recommended for obvious reasons.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013

I suppose it's easier to justify spending £68/80 on 8GB upgrade if you know you're going to take advantage of the extra RAM, but 250 euros? Damn, where in EU the price is that bad? No way I can justify it like that.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I suppose it's easier to justify spending £68/80 on 8GB upgrade if you know you're going to take advantage of the extra RAM, but 250 euros? Damn, where in EU the price is that bad? No way I can justify it like that.

A base mba is 850€. The same model with 8gb ram is 1100€. That's 30% extra.
4gb for everyone here :)

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand

Considering I paid about $130 for my 16GB (2 x 204 pin 8GB SO-DIMM) for my 2011 MBP, then I'd have to agree. $300 for an extra 4GB seems ridiculous.

Before I started running VMs I could get by with 4GB on Mavericks and the memory pressure in Activity Monitor was almost always green.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
RAM is much less important when using SSD. Those SSD drives are amazingly fast compared to 5400rpm drives, so paging out is less apparent.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Personally running a 4GB Air (late 2010) and still enthusiastic about it. On the other hand I equipped my father's new Air with 8 GB just three days ago. Does he need them? Probably not. Just wanted to be on the safe side for the next couple of OS X releases.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
For £68 extra, 8GB was a no brainer for me.

OS X and web browsers love RAM and I want my Macs to last as long as possible. 4GB might be fine now but Chrome/Safari get greedier every year.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
On a device with 4GB DRAM I have to be more conscious with what software I install and run. That burden is much less with 8GB and the peace of mind that it's more future proof considering it's not upgradable.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
For £68 extra, 8GB was a no brainer for me.

OS X and web browsers love RAM and I want my Macs to last as long as possible. 4GB might be fine now but Chrome/Safari get greedier every year.

I think you mean web sites get greedier. I doubt Chrome or Safari uses significantly more memory to display the same web content between versions.

----------

On a device with 4GB DRAM I have to be more conscious with what software I install and run. That burden is much less with 8GB and the peace of mind that it's more future proof considering it's not upgradable.

What you have installed has nothing to do with what you run.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What you have installed has nothing to do with what you run.

You have to install it before you can run it and if you're not going to run it due to limited DRAM then there's no point in wasting precious SSD storage.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
4gb should be enough, but 8gb will make you feeling secure I am using MBA 2012 with 8gb anyway.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Okay, now you're doing Java programming so you should definitely get 8GB RAM. Maybe 32GB, because it'll never be enough.

/s
(Actually, kinda not really because Java is horrible)

Why only Java programming, by the way? Java programmers get paid the least of all programmers. Learn COBOL or something (as much as I despise it). At least learn C++, C#.net, Swift (if you want to do apple development), HTML5/JS/CSS3, PHP, SQL and anything else you can.
It might sound like a daunting task, but once you learn one language, you'll know them all. Just syntax differences, mostly.

I suggest you do:
1. C++
2. html5/js/css3 with stress on javascript
3. PHP
4. SQL
5. COBOL
In that order.

C# is basically Java anyways so you'll be fine on that front.

EDIT:
Just read the part about IT class.
pfffffft why java. >.>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.