Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Just my 2cents, I would have tried to get an iPhone 5 on Craigslist for $400 or so and would have saved a few more hundred. Although I personally like the 5C no way would I have paid that much for it.
The OP has stated he doesn't like the 5 so I guess thats why he hasn't.

S

syd430

This is one problem I do not have. My phone gets prints on it, but it don't get greasy. I realize aluminum seems "premium" but do we all realize it's one of the cheapest metals?

I don't care how much the aluminium costs vs plastic, i'm saying that anodised aluminium feels much better to me than glossy plastic. Also, i've held a few 5c's in Apple stores, they all felt slimy as hell. People here really need to stop pretending that Apple's plastic is somehow magical, apart from feeling thicker and heftier over the competition (+ve), it's just as slimy as glossy as any other plastic phone.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I don't care how much the aluminium costs vs plastic, i'm saying that anodised aluminium feels much better to me than glossy plastic. Also, i've held a few 5c's in Apple stores, they all felt slimy as hell. People here really need to stop pretending that Apple's plastic is somehow magical, apart from feeling thicker and heftier over the competition (+ve), it's just as slimy as glossy as any other plastic phone.

Slimy is definitely appropriate for the 5c. I'm not knocking it down but I have a 5c in the family and it's so slippery and feels like a brick in the hand...not a good thing!. At the end, it's personal preference but I'll take the 5s any day and I did. It's sleeker and classier.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013

I can't say I disagree. The 5c's I've seen in the Apple Store are dirty, but mine isn't. I do clean it constantly. Both phones are beasts I'm not knocking either one.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
And you lost me.

ahhh get the phone you want. Thanks for letting us know what's up with you.

Agreed.

Be happy with your purchase. I went 5>S4>5C and am happy, just depends on what you want and are gonna use it for. Enjoy the new phone :)

MacDaddy22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Just to update. My compass and level are hardly off. Very minimally. Battery I won't know till tomorrow. But again, I saved money, so if I'm gonna deal with a piece of crap, I'll deal with a cheaper, green colored one.

And to those of you knocking the 5c as if you're fighting me on behalf of the 5s, please reread my post. I originally WANTED a 5s. So much so that I went out and bought one. And then returned it for a SECOND one. I only went with a 5c when the whole circus surrounding the 5s was just annoying. I didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Slimy, greasy, whatever. I LOVE the feel of this thing.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
I don't understand the need to bash the 5c or justify why you bought one. This is an Apple forum, last time I checked the 5c is an Apple phone. All that matters is you enjoy your purchase. The only issue I have is when people try to convince themselves that A. The 5c is an upgrade over the original 5. B. The 5c is superior to the 5s. Personally, I wouldn't use a upgrade for a 5c. I like the colors and look of the 5c. I kinda of think of it as a fun version of the Iphone... To each their own baby

MacDaddy22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I hardly ever post here. 34 posts since 2010. But I figured since there was a lot of back and forth and a lot of debating, plus many mentions of battery issues, I'd let everyone know my story. I thought some people would find it interesting. Clearly I was wrong.

While some people are nice and respectful, the reaction of others make me remember why I lurk and don't post. Not a big deal. I'm not easily offended. Just kinda silly how rude some people are over a forum post. It's not that serious people.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Slimy is definitely appropriate for the 5c. I'm not knocking it down but I have a 5c in the family and it's so slippery and feels like a brick in the hand...not a good thing!. At the end, it's personal preference but I'll take the 5s any day and I did. It's sleeker and classier.

Hmm...I thought people loved the 4/4S because it was a brick and the 5/5S felt like a toy in comparison.

----------

I don't understand the need to bash the 5c or justify why you bought one. This is an Apple forum, last time I checked the 5c is an Apple phone. All that matters is you enjoy your purchase. The only issue I have is when people try to convince themselves that A. The 5c is an upgrade over the original 5. B. The 5c is superior to the 5s. Personally, I wouldn't use a upgrade for a 5c. I like the colors and look of the 5c. I kinda of think of it as a fun version of the Iphone... To each their own baby

Seems to me the reason people post here justifying their 5C purchase is because they've been made to feel like losers for buying one. Pretty sad commentary if you ask me and just makes some Apple fans look like a bunch of snobs.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
If the 5s innards were in a 5c body (with a white face), I'd probably buy one. They do feel nice. All 3 of my kids (eldest is 23) got 5c this year. I went 5s. Enjoy your phone, OP.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009

I made a thread about this already. I completely agree. It feels so bad in the hand compared to the iPhone 5. I'm sure after the newness factor wears off and people get accustomed to the 5c they'll realize this upon touching a 5 or 5s.

Hmm...I thought people loved the 4/4S because it was a brick and the 5/5S felt like a toy in comparison.

People complained the 1st day the iPhone 5 came out that it was too light. Typical people complaining about anything that is different or changed. In hindsight the 4/4s is a brick and not in a good way.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
Too bad that the 5C also has the compass and level issues that you say you were trying to avoid. Anyway enjoy your thicker and slimier plastic phone. Swimming in your own oil is soooo much better than a thin, cool piece of aluminium. I also thought it was funny saying it feels newer than a phone from 2010 simply because it's plastic. I think you meant it feels like a plastic 3G from 2008.

Wow... what is this, the product of some kind of inferiority/superiority complex?

Dude no need for sarcasm... dont worry you have the best iphone ever, you dont have to be a d**k about it... some people dont have slimy hands and some people may want to choose the "inferior" model (i know i know... those "cheap peasants") for whatever reason they want to... You are coming out as a total arrogant snob...

Jesus some of you guys really need to get a grip...

Its like you are going to meet a guy on the street and he is going to pull out an iphone 5c out of his pocket, and you're going to be like "dude... what kind of piece of ****** is this... dont talk to me or ever text me again via this... my iphone 5s shouldnt be receiving and kind of data from this crap"...

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I really wish the 5C came in a 64 gig variant. Love most everything about that phone.

Still holding out hope Apple grants my wish in the new year.

----------

Also, do people not realize what true slime feels like?

Nothing about the 5C feels like slime. Further, nothing about the GS4 feels like slime, either.

I digress, however. Somewhat, i mean.

The 5C feels like a lightweight rock when held in the hand. The plastic feels sturdy as, well, a rock.

I really don't get the hate for the phone, itself. Pricing is a different story, but the phone is fantastic.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
I really wish the 5C came in a 64 gig variant. Love most everything about that phone.

Still holding out hope Apple grants my wish in the new year.

----------

Also, do people not realize what true slime feels like?

Nothing about the 5C feels like slime. Further, nothing about the GS4 feels like slime, either.

I digress, however. Somewhat, i mean.

The 5C feels like a lightweight rock when held in the hand. The plastic feels sturdy as, well, a rock.

I really don't get the hate for the phone, itself. Pricing is a different story, but the phone is fantastic.

Exactly, i fully agree with you...

i dont get why people need to be douches just because they think they belong in an "elite" group of tech freaks...

Sure everyone knows iphone 5s is technically far superior to the 5c.

That doesnt make the 5c "trash"... or "cheap" or whatever

To me 5c is a breath of fresh air design-wise from Apple. It is the first iphone that i look at and makes me smile. And it is a phone designed in perfect harmony with ios 7.

I really dont ge the hate...

It is not perfect phone, but at the same time its not the piece of crap that many here are trying very hard to describe...

+ in real world terms, in most everyday apps, AT THE MOMENT, the difference in speed is negligible between 5c and 5s.

And I also agree with you... the lack of a 64gb model is really a big drawback...

All in all enjoy what you have, wether its an iphone 5s or a 5c, you dont have to be a douche to justify your purchase or your "superiority".

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
This forum is full of hate at times, maybe because we are anonymous people feel like they can be extra 'brave' with their opinions.

The OP just gave us his story, if you don't like it don't read it. It's not personal.

Both 5s and 5c are great phones and we are fortunate to own either.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Anyway enjoy your thicker and slimier plastic phone. Swimming in your own oil is soooo much better than a thin, cool piece of aluminium. I also thought it was funny saying it feels newer than a phone from 2010 simply because it's plastic. I think you meant it feels like a plastic 3G from 2008.

Calm down, nobby. Do you want a hug?

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Sorry. Had to be done.

Attachments

• csb.jpg
    csb.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 528

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
For the record "battery blows" is your opinion. For me, iOS7 and the 5S have improved my battery life. But confirmation bias is setting in for a lot of detractors. You look for something to complain about you'll definitely find it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I don't think you have to justify your choice.
Btw a couple of things: first of all 7.5 hrs of usage time is not too bad. It could be better, but it's not bad at all.
Your new 5c is not going to do any better, since it use the same iOS 7 and a slightly smaller battery.

S

syd430

Wow... what is this, the product of some kind of inferiority/superiority complex?

Dude no need for sarcasm... dont worry you have the best iphone ever, you dont have to be a d**k about it... some people dont have slimy hands and some people may want to choose the "inferior" model (i know i know... those "cheap peasants") for whatever reason they want to... You are coming out as a total arrogant snob...

Jesus some of you guys really need to get a grip...

Its like you are going to meet a guy on the street and he is going to pull out an iphone 5c out of his pocket, and you're going to be like "dude... what kind of piece of ****** is this... dont talk to me or ever text me again via this... my iphone 5s shouldnt be receiving and kind of data from this crap"...

Ah so you bought the 5c... don't worry my friend, i'm sure your time will come when you will be able to upgrade to the 5s and join the gentlemen's club.

/s

↑ Note the sarcasm tag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.