Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I have the 4S and with the update to 5.1, the 3G toggle appeared. I have Vodafone in Czech Republic. I think there's no switch for people who didn't buy factory unlocked iPhone or at least all people who are complaining have AT&T.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Factory unlocked 4S, T-Mobile USA SIM installed: 3G toggle available in 5.1.

(Which is good, because T-Mo USA 3G doesn't work at all on the iPhone.)

The AnandTech story linked to earlier in this thread shows the switch appearing with T-Mobile SIM and disappearing with AT&T SIM, so I suspect there's a setting in the carrier config file. Mine's using "Carrier 12.0" -- what do the AT&T people have?

kevkev

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Reading
A bit late here but I am on Vodafone UK and the 3G toggle switch has now appeared in the 5.1 update.

Kev

krs7272

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Detroit
I am on AT&T 5.0.1 and CAN toggle.

But this is achieved by jailbreak using the SBSettings 3G toggle. Even though AT&T has omitted this option under Network settings in menu. Using the SBSettings toggle still works.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
This shouldn't need to be such a massive thread:

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1:
On almost all GSM phones other than on AT&T, there is a 3G toggle.

CDMA phones never had this feature.

The ability is there (proven by those who have jailbroke their 4S), but AT&T does not want the switch there. They have been neutering their EDGE networks. Slowing them down and turning them off in some areas. Even though using EDGE can provide almost TWICE the battery life for making calls, AT&T doesn't want you using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.