Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I like the last one the best. It's simple, and I can find what I need. Plus, I like how you have different picture for the bathroom/kitchen, where as in the first one you had the same images, which seemed redundant.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
I also like the last one. kepp in mind that the images and text are place holdes, no final!!!!!

Cheers

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Thanks...

I just showed it to the client and he tells me " right direction"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

WTF does he mean by that??

What other direction could I go to???

TY, I had to vent.../>

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I'm gonna go against the grain and say #3 (amg_16.jpg), although the last one would be my second choice.

Gotta love anal clients, one of the last projects I was working on at a former employer was the client from hell. He basically spoon fed us what he wanted (sketches and exact photo & page placement) and yet for some reason he still wasn't happy with what he was seeing even though we hadn't made a single decision without consulting him.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast

mst0192

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
it gets better but here are some sugestions..

try to make the layout more "sophisticated".. -> i.e. a "finer" grid (more colums and rows)

try to use a different font for the navigation, at the moment it looks quite rough.. (maybe avoid webfonts and implement it as a jpg/gif)

avoid shadows like in the logo (if it is not part of the corporate design) -> dropshadows are bad in most cases, within a logo it is usualy a desaster ;)

maybe remove the shade in the background, try to leave it plain white..
for the products presented on the page, the layout isn't light enough in my opinion..

try it from this direction:
what are the attributes of the products you want to present?
are the expensive? sophisticated? cheap? ...
how can you transmit these attributes with your design/layout?
try to emphasise these attributes.. by doing this, your layout will no longer look "generic"...

hope i could help..

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I like #22 mainly because of the banner at the top and the clean background behind the faucet.

I would avoid the dropshadows around each box if I were you, though..

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
The third one or the last one for me...

...not a huge fan of the 'overlapping' sink, so I didn't like the 4th one much...

All of them (the first one exempt) look pretty good tho! :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I like 18 a lot... the ones with the dangling handles looked to gimmicky. I'd loose the box around BATHROOM and KITCHEN ACCESSORIES. Ant eh "Sleek MODERN..." is that really the green you want?

Otherwise, my personal opinion means nothing becasue I am not your customer. Let THEM decide? Anyway, EXCELLNT work, I'd say.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i would use the last one. its fine, dont sweat it, its done.

but the main menu font looks a bit horsy. pretty big type you got going on there.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
I am really greatful for all of the rsponses, especially the indepth ones.

It seems like the general consensus is between numbers 18, 22, and 23.
My client will present these to his customers and we'll see their reactions.

Have a great weekend and if I have to do more comps. I will def post them in this kick arse forum.

Cheers

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
It seems like it's not over yet, it's just beginning.

Is there a time while you just cut your losses and move on to the next project??

4 more examples.

• http://www.conceptualdesign.net/AMG_24.jpg
Added a pic of a building in the main background. That bkgd is going to be a Flash presentation.

• http://www.conceptualdesign.net/AMG_25A.jpg
Changed the building bkgd to a loft like space. Added AMG products to the top right banner. Muted (layers luminosity) all of the image colors except for the AMG products.

• http://www.conceptualdesign.net/AMG_25B.jpg
Same as above but colorized all of the images, incuding AMG products.

• http://www.conceptualdesign.net/AMG_25C.jpg
Same as AMG_25A.jpg (Muted colors/layers luminosity) But, added an outer glow to the logo; I believe that this makes the logo fit more with the layout.

Any critique would be appreciated.

Thanks for your words and your time.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
switters said:
It seems like it's not over yet, it's just beginning.

Is there a time while you just cut your losses and move on to the next project??

As long as your being paid in full for all these extra comps your working on then no. Just make sure the client understands that they are eating up a lot of your time with these minor changes at the design stage and you'll be billing for each one.

If for some reason your not charging for all these extra comps I'd be tempted to sit them down with all 20+ (I'm judging from the jpg numbers) designs and say "Ok, you have 20+ choices here, you need to make a decision because your getting carried away and missing the scope of the project"

Obviously use nicer words than that, but it's ok to say NO to a client at some point.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
dornoforpyros said:
As long as your being paid in full for all these extra comps your working on then no. Just make sure the client understands that they are eating up a lot of your time with these minor changes at the design stage and you'll be billing for each one.

If for some reason your not charging for all these extra comps I'd be tempted to sit them down with all 20+ (I'm judging from the jpg numbers) designs and say "Ok, you have 20+ choices here, you need to make a decision because your getting carried away and missing the scope of the project"

Obviously use nicer words than that, but it's ok to say NO to a client at some point.

I agree completely. These decisions should be worked out later in the phase (in my opinion). You titled the thread "5 diff. layouts..." you have only shown them one layout. I say that not to criticize you, but to emphasize that you've provided them with a layout (that they seem to be happy with), along with a good idea of the visuals. It is time to move into the visual design/implementation stages of this project. Not knowing how you structured payment (as dorno said), it's hard to tell if you're being jerked around or not. But I'd reccomend cutting them off now, and telling them that they've seen all they need for you to being the final visual design and implementation of the site.

Oh, and I prefer AMG_18.jpg. With that version you still have dramatic imagery, without superflous photoshop-ness, which most of the others seem to exhibit. It looks good!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
For what it's worth I really like #22
Simple yet elegant. The later ones are just too busy for my liking. I don't see what a loft space or a building has got to do with bathroom taps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.