Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winglet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Upstate, NY
I am trying to figure out if this is a problem on my computer or an iTunes site issue.

I keep getting an error every time I try to download anything purchased or free from iTunes. Here is the error I get when I click on the "I agree to the purchase agreement" from the store:

Could not purchase "xxxxxx". An unknown error occurred (5002).

There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.

This has been happening all day since I did the software update for Leopard and the iTunes version upgrade. I have checked that my computer is authorized, it is, and that I have my permissions correct in my itunes folder, they are.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I haad to agree with new terms and conditions in order to be able to buy a song this morning. I didn't read all the fine print that was on my screen, I just wanted to hear the song.

Winglet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Upstate, NY
Yes, I was at that point when I pressed, "I agree" it brought up the error instead of continuing to the purchase and download.

CMiYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Menlo Park
I had the same problem described here.

I exited iTunes, reloaded, and shopping cart is working now.

Well, sorta. iTunes claims my billing address (which worked 2 weeks ago) isn't valid, so I can't continue.

YoungCreative

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Ohio
I can add items to my shopping cart, but cannot open the shopping cart! The funny thing is that I can purchase songs on the same account with my iPhone. This problem just emerged a couple of weeks ago.

I have attached a shot of the error I receive.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 327

myawn

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Marietta, GA
I ran into this problem last night. I googled around and found a solution that worked for me.

Go into the iTMS preferences pane. If you're set to do one-click shopping, change it to use the cart; if you're set to use the cart, change it to one-click.

You can then complete your transaction.

Then you can switch back to whatever preference you originally had. (I'm not sure whether it is necessary to do a transaction, or if just changing the setting and then setting it back is enough to clear the issue).

myawn

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Marietta, GA
I ran into this problem last night. I googled around and found a solution that worked for me.

Oh, and as a follow-up -- the solution I found was in a posting from 2005. So I really think maybe it's time for somebody at Apple to jump on that and fix it.

YoungCreative

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Ohio
Go into the iTMS preferences pane. If you're set to do one-click shopping, change it to use the cart; if you're set to use the cart, change it to one-click.

You can then complete your transaction.

Then you can switch back to whatever preference you originally had. (I'm not sure whether it is necessary to do a transaction, or if just changing the setting and then setting it back is enough to clear the issue).

This didn't work. I even tried making a purchase (with one-click shopping) and then I quit and relaunched before changing back to shopping cart. I still get the 5002 error.

Hello, Apple! Are you listening? Do you want my money? (I hear Amazon works. ;-)

pvtmatter

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
Dreaded error 5002

I have a 32 gig iPod touch. I have the latest vertsion of iTunes on my computer, have an iTunes account and have downloaded both songs and rental movies. Now, I am trying to download I Am Legend as a rental and I get the error 5002 BS. I have disabled my firewall....disabled my anti-virus and have authorized all three of my computers in iTunes store and still get the error 5002 on each of the three on I Am Legend. I have tried turning off the 1 click ordering and tried changing my country from USA to Whatever and back again (I had Googled and saw these as possible work arounds).

My account is in good order (credit card valid, etc) and there is nothing "hung up" in my purchases. When I attempt to email the store on this problem, none of their little titles fit the problem and if I try to use some other "canned" help topic, I get stuck on not having an order number.....Duh! I can't get to the stage where I GET an order number as the error 5002 pops up after I select the $3.99 rental movie button.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or am I the only unlucky one. Aplle take my money......please!

indigogeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Another Solution

For me, I had to go in and change my credit card info. Once I did that, all of my Free downloads started working again. Went in and changed CC back to what it was and it still works... something in their processing glitched. :confused: But now all is right again... :rolleyes:

midtoad

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Use default iTunes folder

None of the above solutions worked for me. I found a tip on the Apple support though, that did help. I noticed that it suggested I check the permissions on my iTunes folder. In my case I have all my music on an external drive in a Linux box. So I checked my iTunes library in iTunes preferences back to the default location in ~/Music/iTunes, and then the download proceeded immediately.

tritz

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Nothing but bad connection

Hi, I recently encounter the error 5002 and I waited for another day to try again connecting in my workplace rather than at home and I was able to get in without that error. So I guess sometimes that error 5002 is nothing but bad connection, which is either the dsl speed is slow or the isp server is bogged down or the apple server is too busy and has too many users trying to connect. I hope I don't see that error 5002. I almost tried erasing and re-installing all my apps. Good thing I waited...

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.