Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Are there any real issues with the TiBook 500 that would make this a bad deal? This is on a local craigslist. What should I look out for? I don't think that DVI came out until 667mHz, so this one is VGA only right?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Honestly it's down to if you can afford it and you understand it's not a powerhouse machine. $400 is a pretty good price for that machine. Yes, you're only going to have VGA.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Eidorian said:
Honestly it's down to if you can afford it and you understand it's not a powerhouse machine. $400 is a pretty good price for that machine. Yes, you're only going to have VGA.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I really want a new or current model PowerBook, but don't want to spend quite that much, although I might if the prices come down with the iBook/MacBook or 12" MBP announcements. I need a laptop only occasionally, but if I could get one that could replace my mini I might go for it. The MBPs have just had too many issues for me to get excited about them, even though I know they are the future and are MUCH faster.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
danny_w said:
Thanks, that's what I thought. I really want a new or current model PowerBook, but don't want to spend quite that much, although I might if the prices come down with the iBook/MacBook or 12" MBP announcements. I need a laptop only occasionally, but if I could get one that could replace my mini I might go for it. The MBPs have just had too many issues for me to get excited about them, even though I know they are the future and are MUCH faster.
Yeah, it's a nice machine since you get the G4 and widescreen. Just look out for a bad LCD and chipping paint.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
QCassidy352 said:
keep in mind that it's only 1152x768 resolution - not that much more than a 12" ibook (1024x768)...
I had an iBook G3 500 and sold it. I just felt flimsy and cheap to me (actually, most laptops do though). How does the TiBook 500 compare to that?

EDIT: Actually the resolution is a plus for me, since I have trouble reading small fonts. I run my 19" monitor at work at 1024 or 1280 most of the time. So that is a plus in my book.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
danny_w said:
I had an iBook G3 500 and sold it. I just felt flimsy and cheap to me (actually, most laptops do though). How does the TiBook 500 compare to that?
The body is solid on the Titanium. The biggest issue I had with that series was that the LCD feels flimsy. Also the video cables had a habit of loosening due to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.