Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
I find it hard to believe they will do iPad at the same time as iPhone and they won't shift iPhone significantly IMHO. The only way this makes sense is if iPhone goes in April/May and iPad moves to Christmas shopping season. But that screws up the iPod touch cycle.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Late July - early August production for release in September. Is exactly what most 'normal' folks who aren't paid ridiculous sums of money to 'guess highly inaccurate' release dates were expecting anyway.

How many business analysts does it take to change a lightbulb ? .........

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I've noticed that Apple seems to be advertising both the iPad and iPad mini together in an attempt position them as the same device available in 2 sizes rather than 2 separate devices (if that makes sense).

It's the same policy they've adopted with the iPod.

Given that it seems likely that they will merge the iPad and iPad mini release cycles into one, probably sometime around Sept each year, in time for the peak back to school and holiday shopping seasons.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Why the 6 month releases??? NO NO NO we are not Android with a new release ever 5 seconds... NO!!!!!

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Got an iPad mini now. Find the screen too small for what I do. In between jobs. Looking forward - and planning to - get one of these when they come out. Hopefully I'll have a well-paying job by then. :cool:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Hope whatever they release this year has spectacular upgrades in processor and other functions. If they do 6-month release cycles but only give us a few MP more in cameras and some funky little change in form, they should just save it for later.

I was hoping Apple would try to grab the market by doing a year or two of hyper-development and bi-annual updates. So much for that. However, it would be nice if Apple upgrades something this year, aside from software.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I always looked forward to purchasing a new iPad this time of year. I'm not a fan of Apples entire product portfolio being released in the fall. :cool:

Ditto on that!!!

I don't want 2 iPad's, an iPhone and iPod's released in the fall. Only so much money to go around and I'm more likely to get multiple products if their release is staggered throughout the year. New iPad in the spring and a new iPhone in the fall.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Been waiting all year. Apple's successfully "mixed it up" regarding expectations of any products.

And last year everyone mocked the secrecy thing. I haven't seen too many rumors about the next iphone, either, or this thing's features aside from a new case.

Yes. Tim has done a good job "doubling down on security":D

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Earlier please. I need a memory upgrade and I'm not getting an iPad 4! I want the reduced bezel size and black slate back. And thinner and lighter would be most good. I'd consider the mini but the screen is stupidly small.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Come ON. How long to I have to wait for a full size iPad with the min form factor? I was thinking late summer would be tough. This looks like fall/winter minimum.

BUT............this is digitimes they're quoting. ;)

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
Due to the inconsistency I'm starting not to care anymore. Thank you apple, I will save money because of this.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
If mini will just sport an A5 and Retina and the same 512 MB,i'll skip it.
If it will sport an A6 ,1GB i could buy it even without any Retina at all.

Expect the iPad mini to be always one generation behind in terms of CPU compared to the big iPad. The retina iPad mini will likely sport an A5X cpu (an A5 couldn't drive the retina display).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I find it hard to believe they will do iPad at the same time as iPhone and they won't shift iPhone significantly IMHO. The only way this makes sense is if iPhone goes in April/May and iPad moves to Christmas shopping season. But that screws up the iPod touch cycle.

They did just fine last fall.

And there is a logic to it. They wanted the iOS preview at WWDC since that is their big developers event. They want to give tho developers 2-3 months to play and get their apps ready for the new iOS version. And they don't want folks running around with hardware that can run certain new and exciting features because they lack bits that won't turn up for another 4-6 months in that line up with the new models. An iOS full Fall fits all of this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.