$600 mil USD. How would you handle winning?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CaptHenryMorgan, May 17, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Me? I wouldn't tell a soul until I had the family lawyers and accountants lined up and notified with signed NDAs. Take the lump of probably $380 mil, give myself 10 mil in play money, put the rest into diverse interest bearing funds, stocks, whatever my family accountant suggests and put him on my payroll. A million to my 10 or so closest friends and that's all they get for the rest of my life. Live off the interest and keep working.

2. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I would finally be able to retire and live very comfortably for my remaining years.:D

3. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd buy up all Dell shares and give the money back to the shareholders.

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd pay off my student loans, finish my current project at work. Then quit my job and move to Hawaii.

It's so nice to dream sometimes. :p

5. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

I'd do pretty much what the op posted except for the part about continuing to work and adding the part where I **** my pants.

6. macrumors 68000

Tsuchiya

Probably freak out a bit.

It's a lot of money, that would completely change your worldview.

I'd pursue whatever interest I had, but otherwise keep it modest. The first thing I'd do however is clear any debts my parents had and cover all my siblings tuition fees.

It's not really money I'd have earned though, so just going out and buying my dream car on a whim or something would just feel a bit hollow.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Nah, I gotta keep working, or go back to school or something that gets me out of the house and keeps my brain exercising. I love what I do, but it's not a staff job. I get to tell stories and create things, so I would be able to do that on a bigger scale without worrying about money. True mental freedom.

8. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right. I'd quit my job, and after moving to Hawaii, I'd still find something to do. Maybe go back to school and learn a new field of science or something. I wouldn't want to be idle, doing nothing at all. Regardless, I'd want to find something fun and interesting to do.

9. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

I would do the same thing. Not tell a single soul besides immediate family. Take some money out to play with, travel the world and then get back to my normal life. Probably wouldn't continue to work, but definitely stay in school and learn what I want to spend my time on.

10. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'd donate a huge amount of it to all kinds of needy people, especially those in other countries with deformities that I see posted on Reddit all the time.

I'd pay off the last of my student loans and buy myself a house somewhere and buy a few franchises of stores I like (I've always wanted an Auntie Annes franchise).

I'd also travel to some places and go to Gnomon school.

11. macrumors 68040

boss.king

We can all speculate, but until it happens we have no way of knowing. Personally, if I had to guess, I'd say the word that sums it up would be 'badly'. I'd probably spend it on all manner of stupid crap just because I could. It would be a wild ride though.

12. thread starter macrumors regular

So, hookers and coke then?

13. macrumors 68040

Design a gorgeous yet modest home ($500k or so).

Buy an apartment/condo in Tokyo or Kobe.

Coupla new cars.

Build a little warehouse out in the woods and stock it with the choicest of choice muscle cars.

Pay off student loans.

Quit job.

Travel for a good long while.

Get a PhD.

Enjoy life.

14. macrumors 6502

I'd leave my job and spend my time volunteering and making strategic donations to individuals I find who are very much in need. It would become my full time job to help others who may not have been as fortunate in life. No bigger joys in life than family and helping others, at least for me.

15. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I would take the $380 million lump sum payment. I would keep about $5 million for my family and the rest I would set up in a charitable foundation.

16. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I would retire and become a philanthropist. I would also volunteer even more of my time to causes for kids.

17. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I'd be able to live more than comfortably on dividends and even fund some of my own research. Sounds great, where can I sign up?

18. macrumors 65816

No debts except for my house and a little bit left on the car, so I'd pay those off, then move out of this house into a dream house for us. In our world, a dream house is about 4000-5000 square feet max, including studios for each of us. After that, I'd make sure my son's future education was completely covered. Maybe a cabin up in the mountains. I freelance in the career that I love, so I would probably still do jobs here and there, but only if they interested me...and I'd probably dump my own money into them to make them extra spectacular.

No interest in a garage full of exotic cars. No interest in planes. No interest in having a gigantic plot of land. I wouldn't want anything i had to really manage, or even a person I had to manage. So after the basics were taken care of and we were funded for the rest of our life, I think the rest of it would go to help others.

19. macrumors G5

yg17

I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time, man. I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up too cause chicks dig dudes with money.

20. macrumors 68020

sviato

Probably succumb to some psychological disorder out of paranoia that everyone who speaks to me is just interested in my money.

Remember though, 80% of lottery winners go broke because 100% of lottery players are idiots ;) money earned is better than money won

21. macrumors 65816

hahaha...I can't believe I forgot to put that quote in.

I'd like to think that wouldn't happen to me, since I'm not interested in big flashy symbols of richness.

22. thread starter macrumors regular

$600 million won and responsibly invested/saved is better than $10 earned. Can't win if you don't play.

23. macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

1. big black body guard. (two of them)
    2. attorney
    3. financial advisor
    4. 747
    5. hookers
    6. blow

in that order (and since its my birthday, i think ill play the lotto!)

24. macrumors 68040

speak for yourself, i hate people with that arrogant attitude that they are better than people who play the lottery.

i only play 2-3 times a year when the jackpot gets huge, sorry but id rather lose $2 in an attempt to win $600,000,000 and never have to work another day in my life and be "stupid" than to be the holier than though miser who is too cheap to spend $2 who is guaranteed to have to go to work the next day for the next 40 years.

even if i lose, the excitement and fun is worth the two lousy bucks.

25. macrumors 68020

sviato

Sorry, I'm not so desperate for a handout to never have to raise a finger in life again :rolleyes: The smart millionaires keep working, there's a thing as self-actualization.