Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Necriss

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I would go to profile and click set to default clocks, but voltage didn't change and the clocks were at like 100/150?

Voltage and clocks went back to normal, it just doesn't show in ATT till you re-open the window. Hover over the taskbar icon to see the current clocks.

Karkuro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Also GPU-z crashes everytime ATT is up. If I close out ATT, GPU-z can open; if GPU-z is already open, and I open ATT, then GPUz crashes.

Deactivate "Aggressive 3D Detection" on Tools & Option.

I have a question, yesterday when I made a 3DMark06, at 850 / 1000 @ 1.020V I got 12100 pts. And I made two others today, and I only got 11345. Wtf ? Did I damage my GPU ? Even so I paid a lot of attention to the GPU temperature and it never went higher than 87° ?

Last edited:

Inara

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Deactivate "Aggressive 3D Detection" on Tools & Option.

I have a question, yesterday when I made a 3DMark06, at 850 / 1000 @ 1.020V I got 12100 pts. And I made two others today, and I only got 11345. Wtf ? Did I damage my GPU ? Even so I paid a lot of attention to the GPU temperature and it never went higher than 87° ?
I can tell you, these benchmarks give us strange results, xbench under Mac, for example, OpenGL results are 401, then 390, 350, 370.However, I suggest you to check under win your windows index. One day my win direct 3d got corrupted in some way, 3dmark was 7400 instead of 10600, and my win index dropped to 4.4 (it was 6.9 for both the graphic sections)

Karkuro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
I can tell you, these benchmarks give us strange results, xbench under Mac, for example, OpenGL results are 401, then 390, 350, 370.However, I suggest you to check under win your windows index. One day my win direct 3d got corrupted in some way, 3dmark was 7400 instead of 10600, and my win index dropped to 4.4 (it was 6.9 for both the graphic sections)

When I got 12100 pts, I had a 7.0 score in Windows. And when I made 11345 pts yesterday, I got a 7.1 score in Windows. Really don't understand. Was the bootcamp drivers updated ?

Inara

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
When I got 12100 pts, I had a 7.0 score in Windows. And when I made 11345 pts yesterday, I got a 7.1 score in Windows. Really don't understand. Was the bootcamp drivers updated ?

No. In both cases they were the stock driver. I had to reinstall win 7 and now I sit constantly on 9500 stock and 10600 OC (700/900).

I assume you restarted your system and the results were the same, right?

Karkuro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
No. In both cases they were the stock driver. I had to reinstall win 7 and now I sit constantly on 9500 stock and 10600 OC (700/900).

I assume you restarted your system and the results were the same, right?

Of course. I also made a fresh installation of Windows 7. It's strange that in 3DMark06 I lose 700 pts don't know why and that the Windows index increase of 0,1. Paradox ?
And I'm quite sure that it's not cause of the gpu temperature, I paid attention to it, never went higher than 87 C. I had some crashes like everybody has when we experiment some clock/memory to find the best one, but nothing else. Damn, I was so happy with my MBP, that makes me a bit angry now.

Inara

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Of course. I also made a fresh installation of Windows 7. It's strange that in 3DMark06 I lose 700 pts don't know why and that the Windows index increase of 0,1. Paradox ?
And I'm quite sure that it's not cause of the gpu temperature, I paid attention to it, never went higher than 87 C. I had some crashes like everybody has when we experiment some clock/memory to find the best one, but nothing else. Damn, I was so happy with my MBP, that makes me a bit angry now.

Try stock clock and 700/900, in order to see if at least your performance is similar to mine (I did not have a single crash/freeze, but I never went higher than 700)

Karkuro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Try stock clock and 700/900, in order to see if at least your performance is similar to mine (I did not have a single crash/freeze, but I never went higher than 700)

I tried 700 / 900 and I got 10'000 pts, so 600 less than you. I think I need other drivers or something.

Karkuro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Back to normal.
Apparently, ATT eat some FPS, because when I shut ATT off, but with overclocked clocks on (850/1000) 3DMark06 ran better. I made a 12155 score, best score I've ever made (the previous best one was 12100) so everything works like before, and better, I can breathe again.

Last edited:

Inara

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Back to normal.
Apparently, ATT eat some FPS, because when I shut ATT off, but with overclocked clocks on (850/1000) 3DMark06 ran better. I made a 12155 score, best score I've ever made (the previous best one was 12100) so everything works like before, and better, I can breathe again.

And what did you use to overclock and overvolt?

And can I ask you how you set your fan, if you set it in some way?

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Odd thing i have noticed is even with the include clock speed in profiles (Or whatever it is :rolleyes:). I can overclock but when i reopen ATI Tray Tools, only the voltage is in the profile. Anyway i achieved 925/1050, will try again later.

gabeomatic

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
I have been overclocking my 9600m gt since ive had it on my unibody, but can anyone help me with some program for nvidia gpu's that support voltage tweaking?

Rotsu

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
I'm more interested in the temps that those high clocks generate. What temps are you guys getting?(max temps). If anything above 90c then you shouldnt keep those?

Karkuro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
And what did you use to overclock and overvolt?

And can I ask you how you set your fan, if you set it in some way?

In fact, I overclock with ATT and then I close the program, and the overclock stays.

Before, I used Lubbo's fan Control and put my fans to 4900 RPM, not loud, and enough not to go higher than 90 degrees. But at this time I had 780 / 990. I didn't try with the new settings 840-850/1000, I let them to 6000 RPM and the temps never went higher than 87-88 degrees. Should test.

Just made 12264 to 3dMark, I can really say that my ATT eats a bit of performance, since I shut ATT off, my score increase everytime. I was 12100 before, then falls to 11345 cause of ATT, and now 12264 (best score I've ever made, yesterday was 12155 record) .. Why does my ATT decrease performance ?

Last edited:

Necriss

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Why does my ATT decrease performance ?

I think ATT enforces specific 3D settings along with Catalyst A.I which can slow down 3dmark. Just my guess.
Grats on 12.2k 3dmarks, thats a great score.

Last edited:

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Can someone do me a favor? Install the turbo boost overview ap: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031038.htm and then run it during a game.

I'm not sure if it's the new 11.4s, the undervolting, or something worse. The problem is i'll play a game (portal 2, DA 1 or 2, BC2) and my processor will start great and turbo boost. It usually will be around 2.8 or 3.0 depending on how the app is running. Anyways, it seems that within a few minutes of my game, the turbo boost app will show the clock go all the way back down to 'power saver' which doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all. I doubt it's the heat because the weird thing is when a new map has to load or if I alt-tab, the turbo boos will shoot right back up.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Can someone do me a favor? Install the turbo boost overview ap: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031038.htm and then run it during a game.

I'm not sure if it's the new 11.4s, the undervolting, or something worse. The problem is i'll play a game (portal 2, DA 1 or 2, BC2) and my processor will start great and turbo boost. It usually will be around 2.8 or 3.0 depending on how the app is running. Anyways, it seems that within a few minutes of my game, the turbo boost app will show the clock go all the way back down to 'power saver' which doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all. I doubt it's the heat because the weird thing is when a new map has to load or if I alt-tab, the turbo boos will shoot right back up.

Just tried it while I already had Crysis 2 up playing. Hung around 3.1 for a bit, dropped and dropped after a few minutes and then just stayed at 2.3 occasionally going to 2.4 but mostly hanging around 2.3Ghz. This doesn't really concern me too much as my FPS stayed consistent no matter it at 2.3 or 3.1Ghz. I'm guessing it just doesn't need the full boost while playing? I'm not sure. But while Crysis 2 is minimized right now, it's hanging around 3.2 and 3.1 Ghz so it's wanting to turbo boost while the game is alt-tabbed. Dunno why the behavior.

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
i looked back at one of your old post and ran that intel burn test. After about 2-3 mins, my core speed will dip below 2.2 (aka power saver) and then back to 2.2 and sometimes 2.3. Do you think my chip is getting too hot or is something not working right with my Windows power settings

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Not sure. Maybe it's just the way Turbo boost works. It's not meant to sustain long periods of boosting, just here and there while thermals allow it. Otherwise it will clock down to normal speeds of your CPU. I'm guessing that's the reason. I don't think it's meant to keep staying at max turbo speeds, especially while gaming etc. It's there to ramp up when needed, like installing, or maybe ripping/encoding. I suggest try encoding something that will take about 10 minutes and see if turbo speeds are sustained or not.

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I actually was able to figure it out after a lot of testing. So, it's summer in So Cal which means that the ambient temp in my room was pretty warm to begin with. I realized that when my CPU topped over ~73C, the turbo would begin to throttle down to normalish speeds. In my room, the cpu got so hot that it began to mix between standard clock and underclock to keep the CPU reasonably maintained. Now, I am not sure if this is an Intel feature or a Windows power management feature. I wish I had a solid way to test clocks in OSX.

Anyways, I used my kitchen as a test room because the temperature in there was far lower than my room. Anyways, I used Lubbo's to kick the fans into high gear at 62 instead of ~70 which seems to be the default 'high gear' temp. Anyways, starting the fans sooner allowed the CPU to remain cooler and thus allowed for a more efficient and sustained clock speed.

I realized this because my 3dMark 11 scores would somtimes come back with CPU clock of 768mhz (which is the processor clock heavily underclocking itself). After doing my testing, my clock was being read as 3193mhz in 3dMark 11 after using lubbos. Clearly, the CPU is working far better temperature wise and performance wise.

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
I've been playing Starcraft 2 the past two nights in Windows OC'ed to 750/950 @ 0.955V and its been running like a champ. I log temperatures with GPU-Z and my peak is normally around 88-89C for about 30s when i first start playing and then as i play it settles to around 80C with the fans at like 80-85% for the duration, a few hours.

I run with Ultra textures and High graphics settings on a 1920x1080 external monitor and it runs really well. I'd say never below 30fps ever and most often it sticks at the 60fps vsync.

Stickboy42

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Alright, I'm completely stumped...I followed this guide perfectly, and for some reason, ATI Tray Tools won't let me overclock. No matter what setting I change in the Overclocking menu, as soon as I hit "Apply", all of the sliders and settings snap back to their default. Please, MacRumors community...what am I doing wrong?

As a side note, the computer seems to be hard set to these defaults now, and I don't get more than 5fps on any game at any time...so this tool has, in fact, made things significantly worse. I'm running (obviously) the new 2011 15" MBP upgraded as fast as I could over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.