Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
@Locke, you played these games without overclocking your iMac?
Great footage, can't wait to get my hands on a 2012 iMac. :D

Locke S

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Hi, Geen dank. Zocht Zelf ook steeds..

I tested with the apple keyboard and a Logitech gaming mouse. The Magic Mouse isn't that useful while gaming. The witcher 2 is playable with the Magic Mouse though.
I have to buy a good gaming keyboard but I was surprised how well the apple keyboard functioned (just disable those Fn keys and activate those as F1,2,3..)

michaelkc

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I've been playing borderlands 2 with most things max at native resolution except AA and it's been smooth for the most part, a few heavier scenes are more noticeable but still very capable.

loki101

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2012
London
So the last couple of evenings I have been testing some games. I'm coming from console gaming so my brain doesn't require 60fps+.

Anyway, Metro 2033 (DX11), Crysis 2 (with high-res patch + DX11), Far Cry 3 and Skyrim (With, Maybe 100+ mods... I got a bit over excited) all run smoothly at 1440p on max settings. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand needs to be run on Medium (still looks great).

I'm currently not overclocking my machine, I'm not sure I will. But I have a few more games left to test, Witcher 2, Alan Wake, Planetside 2 and Max Payne 3.

So anyway, from my experience running intensive games in native resolution on max settings works really nicely with the 680mx, if you were desperate for higher FPS you could tweak the settings.

swarleystinson

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
New York, NY
I think thats a very good score for metro 2033 by what i can remember

Yea, I would agree. Better than I expected. Sweet! Can't wait to play with mine when it arrives.

----------

Currently playing Crysis 2. Doesn't run as well as Far Cry 3. All options are maxed but I have to run at 1600x1200 to get decent frame rates. Anyone playing Assassin's Creed 3? Thinking about playing that next and wonder if it runs ok.

I would see if turning off DX11 helps. There has to be a setting you have that is hosing the GPU. Because Crysis 2 shouldn't be that taxing compared to the other games, especially compared to metro 2033! Did you try turning down AA?

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Yea, I would agree. Better than I expected. Sweet! Can't wait to play with mine when it arrives.

----------

I would see if turning off DX11 helps. There has to be a setting you have that is hosing the GPU. Because Crysis 2 shouldn't be that taxing compared to the other games, especially compared to metro 2033! Did you try turning down AA?

I actually finished the game today. Maybe metro 33 next, or assassins creed 3. Any other good ones?

swarleystinson

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
New York, NY
I actually finished the game today. Maybe metro 33 next, or assassins creed 3. Any other good ones?

Lots of good ones. I personally absolutely loved FC3. I would play through it again. For me it was leaps and bounds better than FC2. Some people love FC2, though.

Let's see...

If you've never played it, you have to play Half Life 2 and her episodes. It's probably one of the best if not the best PC games of all time. In no particular order...
Splinter Cell Conviction, Skyrim, all of the Call of Duty games, especially 2 onward...
BF3, GTA 4, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Dishonored was awesome. Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Fallout 3 may be one of my favorite PC games of all time.

Starcraft 2, Diablo 3. Portal 1 and 2 are must plays.

Dragon ages 1 & 2. Deadspace 1 and 2. Borderlands 1 & 2.

Bioshock 1 & 2. The Witcher 1 & 2. The Walking Dead series.

Plus there are a host of good indie games like Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight and loads of other older games.

The old XCOM games were a lot of fun if you've never played them.

Really excited for 2013: loads of good PC games coming out. In fact, it's probably the main reason I upgraded; that and I have a bunch of apps I need that are Mac Only.

Keep an eye out for:
Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite (really excited about this one). Tomb Raider reboot (also really excited about this). Starcraft 2 heart of swarm. SimCity reboot (pretty excited about this as well). Metro Last Light.
I'm really excited for the new Splinter Cell Blacklist game as well. Looks to be the best of both worlds (old and new splinter cell).

Is that enough to get you started? :D

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but there seems to be no doubt that some serious gamers post herr rather frequently.

I'm not much of a gamer. Last time I bought a computer with some gaming capacity was in late 2004... :) Back then I liked to play Far Cry 1 and Doom 3. I've also always liked AOE2.

I've done some reading on FC3, and it seems that there are some major differences between 1, 2 and 3?

Basically, I'm looking for some pretty simple games where the main focus is to walk around and shoot people/monsters/aliens/nazis etc.

– I am much smarter than one might think, after reading this actual post... –

Katori

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but there seems to be no doubt that some serious gamers post herr rather frequently.

I'm not much of a gamer. Last time I bought a computer with some gaming capacity was in late 2004... :) Back then I liked to play Far Cry 1 and Doom 3. I've also always liked AOE2.

I've done some reading on FC3, and it seems that there are some major differences between 1, 2 and 3?

Basically, I'm looking for some pretty simple games where the main focus is to walk around and shoot people/monsters/aliens/nazis etc.

– I am much smarter than one might think, after reading this actual post... –

Maybe try Call of Duty? Far Cry 3 is pretty good at that too, there's just a lot more ontop of it. Serious Sam might be right up your alley if you like the old DOOM games--try the HD versions on Steam and Serious Sam 3. Similarly, Duke Nukem Forever might be good for you. Not sure. But there are TONNES of games that have shooting in them. :)

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Just read that the game length of Dishonored is fairly short. And I tend to stick to the main objectives in games and finish them in a hurry. Borderlands 2 then?

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Think I've got it down to Dishonored and Borderlands 2. Leaning towards Dishonored.

Dishonoured is pretty good, only thing is that in my opinion, it felt a little rushed (story wise) but the gameplay and quality are very good. Put it to higher difficulty.

The game should run no problem (It would be playable at 1440p ultra with the 660m).

However, i'd have to give it a 8.5/10. I cannot give a game that is a simple console port any higher. Textures are crap are while I agree gameplay > graphics the game looks like a decent quality ps2 game. Unacceptable for 2012.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Dishonoured is pretty good, only thing is that in my opinion, it felt a little rushed (story wise) but the gameplay and quality are very good. Put it to higher difficulty.

The game should run no problem (It would be playable at 1440p ultra with the 660m).

However, i'd have to give it a 8.5/10. I cannot give a game that is a simple console port any higher. Textures are crap are while I agree gameplay > graphics the game looks like a decent quality ps2 game. Unacceptable for 2012.

I've played Dishonored on the Xbox 360, and thought it looked quite good. You must have forgotten what PS 2 games look like ; )

@Razorhog: I by far didn't enjoy Borderlands 2 as much as Dishonored, even though I really liked the first Borderlands, the 2nd one was a drag to "finish@. Not saying it's a bad game, just how I experienced it.

Dishonored might not be very long (didn't think it was awfully short either), but I actually played it twice due to the differing endings, which require different approaches.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I've played Dishonored on the Xbox 360, and thought it looked quite good. You must have forgotten what PS 2 games look like ; )

@Razorhog: I by far didn't enjoy Borderlands 2 as much as Dishonored, even though I really liked the first Borderlands, the 2nd one was a drag to "finish@. Not saying it's a bad game, just how I experienced it.

Dishonored might not be very long (didn't think it was awfully short either), but I actually played it twice due to the differing endings, which require different approaches.

What do you mean it was a drag to finish?

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little. It looks pretty bad. Definitely not skyrim quality (xbox 360).

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
It got very boring and repetitive, I should have probably just quit instead of finishing it. Not sure what it was exactly, since I enjoyed the first part.

Thanks. I can see how the loot grind might get boring. Back to the drawing board... Maybe COD Black Ops 2? Hmmm. I've always liked the COD games. Haven't played Black Ops 1 yet either. The last COD game I played got boring to me. It seemed like all I did was hide and snipe at bad guy's heads.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks. I can see how the loot grind might get boring. Back to the drawing board... Maybe COD Black Ops 2? Hmmm. I've always liked the COD games. Haven't played Black Ops 1 yet either. The last COD game I played got boring to me. It seemed like all I did was hide and snipe at bad guy's heads.

I still have to play Black Ops 2 as well, just waiting for the price to drop. I never play Online Multiplayer, so I finish games like COD fairly quickly. Dishonored gave me much more game time. Have you looked into Hitman Absolution? I almost bought it during the Christmas sales on Steam, when it was $24.99.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I still have to play Black Ops 2 as well, just waiting for the price to drop. I never play Online Multiplayer, so I finish games like COD fairly quickly. Dishonored gave me much more game time. Have you looked into Hitman Absolution? I almost bought it during the Christmas sales on Steam, when it was $24.99.

Seems like I miss all the sales. I've looked at Hitman Absolution before and remember it being pretty cool. It's third person though isn't it? I'm not real big on third person perspective but I might give it a shot.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Seems like I miss all the sales. I've looked at Hitman Absolution before and remember it being pretty cool. It's third person though isn't it? I'm not real big on third person perspective but I might give it a shot.

Yes, it is, but I wouldn't buy it for the current price of $50 on Steam. I would actually buy nothing on Steam for over $30, given that I cannot resell those games when I'm done. Dishonored was $29.99 before, now it's back to $59.99. I don't mind paying that on consoles, where I can resell the game and even get a $10 or $20 gift card towards the next purchase on Amazon.

How often does Steam have those sales, and are there other reliable portals like Steam, which might be cheaper? I know there is Origin, Amazon and then a ton of not so trustworthy websites.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Yes, it is, but I wouldn't buy it for the current price of $50 on Steam. I would actually buy nothing on Steam for over $30, given that I cannot resell those games when I'm done. Dishonored was $29.99 before, now it's back to $59.99. I don't mind paying that on consoles, where I can resell the game and even get a $10 or $20 gift card towards the next purchase on Amazon.

How often does Steam have those sales, and are there other reliable portals like Steam, which might be cheaper? I know there is Origin, Amazon and then a ton of not so trustworthy websites.

Origin isn't too trustworthy either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.