Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Is there a reason the iPhone 6 Plus does not support Bluetooth aptX?
It's my understanding it's really an improvement.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

I use a Note 5 and a Creative Roar 2 (portable Bluetooth speaker) using aptX and the quality is amazing crystal clear highs nice bass. Its like regular Bluetooth Audio sounds like Radio back in the day and aptX sounds like a CD but better.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
AptX has lossy and lossless versions as well. It's via BT transmission. If I can prefer one codec, it would be NOT using BLUETOOTH. I would use AirPlay since it is lossless and bandwidth is much greater than any BT transmission.

If you must use Bluetooth, APTX is much superior. But then again if your speaker/headphones are crappy, no codec will fix that.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Apple decided to support AAC over Bluetooth, which sounds at least as good as AptX. The downside is that fewer headphones support it.
AptX has lossy and lossless versions as well. It's via BT transmission.
AptX cannot use true lossless mode when run over Bluetooth (the bandwidth is not sufficient). It runs in "hybrid mode", which means it'll switch to a lossy compression scheme when required.

Reactions: AliMacs

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Apple decided to support AAC over Bluetooth, which sounds at least as good as AptX. The downside is that fewer headphones support it.
AptX cannot use true lossless mode when run over Bluetooth (the bandwidth is not sufficient). It runs in "hybrid mode", which means it'll switch to a lossy compression scheme when required.

Thanks for the correction - I was incorrect on that lossless spec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.