Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2011
NYC
Hey all, I could use some help. I updated to iOS12 on my 6s Plus. "Hey Siri" has stopped working. I've done everything I can think of, including:

1. Turned Siri on/off and retrained it many times.
2. Turned on/off dictation.
3. Hard-restarted the phone numerous times.
4. Various combinations of the above.

It worked just fine before the update. I can use Siri by typing into it (triggering Siri with the home button). My Internet connection is working fine.

It's like the phone is deaf but only w/r/t Siri. I am able to make it work one time, after turning Siri on/off and retraining then immediately testing with "Hey Siri." But as soon as I exit that settings routine, Siri doesn't work anymore. It's very frustrating and I cannot find anything on the 'net talking about this problem upon updating to iOS 12.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much in advance.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2011
NYC
So from the lack of replies it seems everybody is as baffled as I am!

But I’m pleased to report that the problem resolved itself. It was very, very strange. But — now it’s working again; I can set all the timers I want!

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
On my 6s, this is still a miss for the most part. I don't know if it's because of the Apple Watch too, and I tried disabling Hey Siri on the watch.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
And update - Hey Siri does not work if the toggle for 'Allow Siri When Locked' is off. It works when the toggle is on.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Worked initially when I updated, now it doesn't. I'll have to try various toggles to see what magical combo "just works".

* I turned off Siri, then set it up again. It hears me during the reset, but nothing after that.
Rebooted the phone just in case. Still nothing.

Last edited:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I did get it to work again, but have no idea how. I played with toggles, turned Siri on and off, stood on just my left leg, and mumbled incantations. Something worked, I just don't know what. Now I'll see if it sticks.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2011
NYC
I did get it to work again, but have no idea how. I played with toggles, turned Siri on and off, stood on just my left leg, and mumbled incantations. Something worked, I just don't know what. Now I'll see if it sticks.
Was kind of the same for me. But it kept working once I had applied the correct, mysterious juju...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.