Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
My 7,1 has started rebooting by itself apparently when it goes to sleep.

I haven't caught it to see exactly when it happens because I'll go away from it for some hours. When I return it announces it has rebooted. I always use the "report to Apple" option.

No idea why; it's been updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) for some weeks and this started well after the update. No other software has been added making the "why" a complete mystery to me...

Any ideas?

Tom

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
What does the log from "report to apple" look like? -- this should tell you what's causing the issue/what's crashing

Can you paste a screenshot? (there is no identifiable info in the log that can give you away, so don't worry about privacy)

Lastly, can you tell us more about your specs? Are you running the stock MPX modules? Do you have any third-party GPUs hooked up? Any third-party PCIe cards connected? How about RAM, did you recently update RAM? What config is it in, etc...

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Here's the beginning of what I think may have been the latest crash:

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process: WindowServer [207]
Path: ???
Identifier: WindowServer
Version: ???
Code Type: 00000000 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [Unknown]
User ID:

Date/Time: 2024-04-20 12:02:49.4258 -0400
OS Version: macOS 14.4.1 (23E224)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 0C7EAE4B-AE0C-5C97-CD6D-8CAF067CB23D

System Integrity Protection:

Notes:
resampled 12 of 3126 threads with truncated backtraces from 0 pids:
1 unindexed user-stack frames from 1 pids: 413
This is a watchdog-triggered termination event, and not expected to be well-represented in the legacy crash format

Crashed Thread: Unknown

Exception Type:

Termination Reason: Namespace WATCHDOG, Code 1 monitoring timed out for service
(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer (1 induced crashes) returned not alive with context:
unresponsive work processor(s): WindowServer main thread
80 seconds since last successful checkin, 178 total successful checkins since 1860 seconds ago, 39 seconds since last crashed by watchdogd, , has not exited since first loaded

Error Formulating Crash Report:
resampled 12 of 3126 threads with truncated backtraces from 0 pids:
1 unindexed user-stack frames from 1 pids: 413
This is a watchdog-triggered termination event, and not expected to be well-represented in the legacy crash format

Backtrace not available

No thread state (register information) available

Binary Images:
Binary images description not available

-----------
Full Report
-----------

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
Ok, I was getting these windowserver crashes on my 7,1 when I was running the Vega II MPX module in addition to my RX6800XT.

I removed the MPX altogether and am using only my Gigabyte RX6800XT and stopped having those issues, but YMMV...

Last edited:

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I haven't changed anything inside the box for many months. It has two W5700X MPX Apple video cards and 384GB RAM. Additionally there are two Sonnet PCIE cards with 4x2TB Samsung SSDs each.

Maybe there's a RAM chip going bad?

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
Try this:
  1. Power off completely
  2. Power on and at chime press/hold Option+D until you see a progress bar
  3. If asked to connect to wifi, go ahead and connect
  4. Run the Apple Diagnostic Test
That should help you determine if any RAM is failing or any other component

When I was having the windowserver errors while using both MPX + 6800XT, the Apple Diagnostic Test threw this error:

1AC163F3-CBA9-4672-BB02-4C7CB1F1E2D9.jpeg

Once I removed my MPX altogether and kept just my RX6800XT, I stopped having issues, and passed the Diagnostic test without any issues, so in my case it was the Vega that was causing problems...

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
My 7,1 has started rebooting by itself apparently when it goes to sleep.

I haven't caught it to see exactly when it happens because I'll go away from it for some hours. When I return it announces it has rebooted. I always use the "report to Apple" option.

No idea why; it's been updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) for some weeks and this started well after the update. No other software has been added making the "why" a complete mystery to me...

Any ideas?

Tom

So this is just a working theory based on my own experiences with a system very similar to yours (and soon to become more similar when the PCIe storage goes in)...

Your system is waking and sleeping periodically throughout the night(?) while it is supposed to be asleep. However, it is not waking fully, rather it is waking into a reduced-wakefulness mode, in which hardware drivers are not fully engaged - for example, your GPUs drivers aren't loaded and if you had more than 2 displays connected, you would be having window arrangement problems upon full wake, because in safe mode (which is what this reduced wake mode resembles) the system only supports 2 displays.

Some process, or bit of hardware on your system doesn't react well to this, and eventually suffers a catastrophic failure, bringing down the system.

The best troubleshooting procedure for an initial test is to disable all automated wake processes by locking the system out of the power schedule, and clearing scheduled wake events.

Technique described here.

See if that stops the problem happening.

*edit* to be clear, there is no GUI or option combination to prevent this periodic wake during sleep - it is caused (in mine, and other cases I've found described) by the calendar notifications system making sure the computer hasn't moved geographically while sleeping, which would throw out "time to leave" notifications.

Last edited:

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL

d0sed0se,​

I did the Option-D exercise. Twice. It took about a minute each time after the internet connection was made. Same result each time: "No issues found." There was a lot of fan noise ramping up and slowing down while the test ran - maybe three or four cycles so it may have been actually doing some testing.

I'm still thinking it is Apple's less-than-competent implementation of its operating system. It has been buggy for me for many months, particularly with respect to mounting the SSDs.

Looks like the sleep/wake thing is just another manifestation of the same bugginess of the MacOS.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Tom

Reactions: d0sed0se

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
I had the WinServer issues to when using the 7,1 - you would be working away then the system would freeze then eventually hard reset. I have two 6800 Duo's and the only solution was to swap the display to a different module. The annoying thing with this is that if the display is connected to MPX#2 Port #1 the Win Server error was avoided, however apps like Photoshop would no longer work, i.e. Photoshop would open but would throw an error when trying to open a file. Connecting the display to MPX#1 Port 1 would allow Photoshop to work, but now you would be open to the WinServer error. So annoying.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL

smckenzie,​

I'll try it! I have 2 x w5700X MPX cards and two monitors. One was connected to the Pro's add-in i/o card, the other to one of the 5700s. I moved the i/o card's cable to one of the 5700s so that both are connected to video cards.

Now we wait...

Thank you for something else to try,

Tom

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
smckenzie,

What an interesting can of worms!

The behavior of my two monitors and the 7,1 have become even more bizarre!

Moving the monitor cables among the two W5700X MPX video cards has been inconsistent, unreliable and puzzling. Kinda reinforces my opinion of Apple's incompetence. Sigh.

I'll probably have to create a spreadsheet for the locations of the video output connections vs the resulting behaviors.

Depending on where I plug the cables - always (so far) into USB-C sockets in the genuine Apple video cards, I get vastly different results. Sometimes one or the other monitor will not get a signal, sometimes I can reinstate the signal to that monitor by switching it off and back on, sometimes both monitors behave for a short time seemingly normally (or at least as I expect) and sometimes it will reboot around a sleep event.

What a rotten mess.

More puzzlingly the behavior started seemingly out of the blue - at least a couple of months after I made no changes to any significant hardware or software; only the usual MacOS updates.

My little remaining faith in Apple is ebbing away...

Tom

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
smckenzie,

What an interesting can of worms!

The behavior of my two monitors and the 7,1 have become even more bizarre!

Moving the monitor cables among the two W5700X MPX video cards has been inconsistent, unreliable and puzzling. Kinda reinforces my opinion of Apple's incompetence. Sigh.

I'll probably have to create a spreadsheet for the locations of the video output connections vs the resulting behaviors.

Depending on where I plug the cables - always (so far) into USB-C sockets in the genuine Apple video cards, I get vastly different results. Sometimes one or the other monitor will not get a signal, sometimes I can reinstate the signal to that monitor by switching it off and back on, sometimes both monitors behave for a short time seemingly normally (or at least as I expect) and sometimes it will reboot around a sleep event.

What a rotten mess.

More puzzlingly the behavior started seemingly out of the blue - at least a couple of months after I made no changes to any significant hardware or software; only the usual MacOS updates.

My little remaining faith in Apple is ebbing away...

Tom

iu

Have you tried disabling the power schedule?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Matt,

Nice cartoon.

Tried your suggestion. Didn't work.

Sigh...

Tom

OK, then I'd be checking Sleep Aid to make sure the Mac is actually staying asleep. It can also disable bluetooth and wifi on sleep. You need to eliminate wake sources to rule that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.